Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 04:09 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/...-11738212.html

Wow. Between gender studies and pizza parties, no wonder our enemies have taken action against America’s interests and allies.

The commander in chief needs to step up.
It certainly wasn't like that in 1996 when I retired from the Navy Reserve. I was in a unit of about 20 Engineering officers, ranging from Ensign to Captain (like a bird colonel in the other services), none was overweight. And of course, engineers aren't known for their physical fitness.

Old 10-19-2023, 04:13 PM

1,701 posts, read 781,468 times
Maybe they’re trying to get fat so they can thrown out before they’re used as pawns for another pointless NATO vs Autocratic proxy war.

If current events become a serious global conflict, the military will absolutely relax the standard because they’ll simply need soldiers. Even overweight guys or older guys can take cover, or pull a trigger under fire. Look at a lot of cops

Old 10-19-2023, 04:20 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
Maybe they’re trying to get fat so they can thrown out before they’re used as pawns for another pointless NATO vs Autocratic proxy war.

If current events become a serious global conflict, the military will absolutely relax the standard because they’ll simply need soldiers. Even overweight guys or older guys can take cover, or pull a trigger under fire. Look at a lot of cops
Good God, so many cops these days are complete out of shape slobs.

Old 10-19-2023, 04:53 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Incompetence in the government trickles down into the troops.
So are you alleging that the government held them down and shoved food down their throats?

The data is from 2018 during the Trump Administration, maybe "Incompetence in the government " isn't so far off the mark...

Old 10-19-2023, 05:13 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,712,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I actually work on a base, so I see thousands of airmen and soldiers each day. Just going by the “eye test” the vast majority of people do not look overweight.

BMI calculations are pretty strict. For example, you can be a 5’10” 175 pound guy, and according to BMI, you are overweight. Would that guy look overweight? No.

As for me, I consider myself kind of on the thin side. I’m 5’10”, 150 pounds. It’s says I am normal weight.

So I wonder if this article isn’t blowing things out of proportion?

One note is that I rarely ever see, or work with, sailors. So maybe the Navy is the service that is most affected by overweight people?

Yep. When I was active duty, I hovered between a size 6 and a size 8. I'm a five-foot-seven woman. I was two pounds over my maximum weight limit, so I had to be tape-tested to make certain I fell in the acceptable BMI. (I did.) I think most here would agree a woman of that height and clothing size probably isn't fat by a long ways, but according to the Army, I was technically overweight.

Old 10-19-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Trump was obese.
At least pretty close. But he's not a fighting troop. One could say he might should have set a better standard for the troops, but few presidents have. Gen Milley is also at the very least overweight and possibly obese. Staying trim as you age is difficult for many, depending on genetics to a large degree.

Unless it's changed since I retired, the physical fitness test isn't require for members 50 or older. It's optional. They don't want members dying from exertion of a physical test, and they appreciate that people, even in the military, age. But by that time they're either out of service if enlisted, or a senior officer.

Old 10-19-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Good God, so many cops these days are complete out of shape slobs.
Yes, and if they're on duty that requires interacting with law violators, they should be required to stay in shape. It would be nice if everybody was in great shape, but it's less important for a detective or senior member of the police department than it is for the rank and file.

Old 10-19-2023, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Yep. When I was active duty, I hovered between a size 6 and a size 8. I'm a five-foot-seven woman. I was two pounds over my maximum weight limit, so I had to be tape-tested to make certain I fell in the acceptable BMI. (I did.) I think most here would agree a woman of that height and clothing size probably isn't fat by a long ways, but according to the Army, I was technically overweight.
Agree. A size 12 or 14 might be chubby though. A part of the requirement is not fighting capability, but how you look in the uniform. They don't want guys, especially younger, with an overhanging belly or a woman with huge hips (also especially younger) running around representing the military. And that pretty much makes sense.

Old 10-19-2023, 05:38 PM

39,219 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Agree. A size 12 or 14 might be chubby though. A part of the requirement is not fighting capability, but how you look in the uniform. They don't want guys, especially younger, with an overhanging belly or a woman with huge hips (also especially younger) running around representing the military. And that pretty much makes sense.
Good post

Most active duty look like athletes to me. Many have swimmers body, long, lean muscles.

Old 10-19-2023, 05:46 PM

4,026 posts, read 2,712,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Well, I definitely had the hips, no matter what my weight/size. If you've ever heard the old chestnut that a woman's bust and hip measurement should match, with the waist ten inches smaller, then I failed that. My waist would definitely be ten inches smaller than my bust, but my hips would always be 13 inches larger than my waist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies