Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 05:46 AM

4,034 posts, read 2,719,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
My goodness, are these fatties ( post 47) in the infantry? Hope not.

I don't believe civilians are supposed to be fat, I certainly don't believe military service numbers are supposed to be fat. Why is it so damned hard to stay fit?

Either they lower the standard, or they don't enforce the standard.

My brother is 6'1" and 178lb. He has been this weight since high school. My fiance is the same height, he is about 180lb. My uncle is 6'2" 185lb. All three were Marines who are always lean and fit.

These fatties need to be processed out. Enforce the standard, enforce the rule.

That fatty in the picture is able to clear the hurdle, regardless. Could you?

Also, judging from the lack of rank on anybody's collars and the closely shaved hair and glasses, I would say this is basic training, so this guy would have just come off the streets.

Also, this isn't a recent picture. That camo pattern hasn't been in use for about 10 years. (Hint--it was the camo pattern in use when I was in 30 years ago.) For all we know, Private Rivera might be a First Sergeant by now.

Old 10-20-2023, 05:48 AM

9,465 posts, read 5,233,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
"BMI" is garbage. Plenty of people in the "normal" range who are horrifically unfit and out of shape.
I agree with this. And some of the thinnest people I've known are not in as good shape as me. I mean, they can't go on a hike, ride a bike for any distance, etc. Skinny does not equate with healthy or fit.

Old 10-20-2023, 06:06 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
For God’s sake, my husband was one of those “fatties” his entire Army career. He had to be tape tested every single time. According to BMI charts he was obese. Also, his entire career he maxed out the PT tests. The man is almost 70 and despite still being “obese” not only still runs 2-3 miles every day but he hauls stuff around better than most 20 year olds. There is a difference between being obese and being built like a walking rock formation. For some bizarre reason no one has figured out how to account for the difference when throwing these stats out.

Old 10-20-2023, 06:20 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Relax..
I am sure there are linebackers in the military and these people are not obese or fat. You can be overweight but not out of shape.

I am sure Ops article has a hidden message. The article is about people who are active duty, if they are obese, how come they are able to stay in? Are they able to do their job? Civilians need to know

Read the article: the growing trend can compromise military readiness.

Somehow I doubt the " linebackers " in the military is someone they worry about

Old 10-20-2023, 06:25 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,477,856 times
Has their diet changed? When I was in the army they worked us hard enough that no amount of cheetos would go to your stomach. Extra calories went towards bigger arms and shoulders not bigger bellies.

Old 10-20-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Incompetence in the government trickles down into the troops.
Seems like it.

Old 10-20-2023, 06:37 AM

4,857 posts, read 3,286,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/...-11738212.html

Wow. Between gender studies and pizza parties, no wonder our enemies have taken action against America’s interests and allies.

The commander in chief needs to step up.

You know I'm no fan of Uncle Joe... but to be fair, the fat problem started long before him.

Old 10-20-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/...-11738212.html

Wow. Between gender studies and pizza parties, no wonder our enemies have taken action against America’s interests and allies. .
Here is a very interesting article

It's not OK to be fat in the Army, military fitness instructor says

A British Army fitness instructor has suggested the body positivity movement is promoting obesity and making new Army recruits soft.

"Body positivity is a lifestyle that promotes complacency and is detrimental to the lives of young soldiers and recruits."

https://www.forces.net/services/army...20hard%20graft.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:16 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:

A British Army fitness instructor has suggested the body positivity movement is promoting obesity and making new Army recruits soft.

"Body positivity is a lifestyle that promotes complacency and is detrimental to the lives of young soldiers and recruits."

I agree, there should be no lowering of standards and those that don't meet the standards should be failed.

The British Army is however a smaller force than the US Army, and can afford to be more selective, and this goes back to Britain having a traditionally small standing Army but a large Navy.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:26 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:

that's not hard to believe at all.

i've been on a WW2 pacific theater reading binge lately, and what our troops went thru on those volcanic islands was brutal. they had high praise for their training, which was also brutal (and which they complained bitterly about when they were having to go through it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies