Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 07:31 AM

33,334 posts, read 12,657,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
1) Any election fraud or attempted election fraud is punishable by immediate execution.
2) Any attempt to curtail election process observation by multiple parties is punishable by immediate execution.
3) Any ballot harvesting schemes or attempts to cast votes for the deceased, cats, dogs, 57 Chevys is punishable by immediate execution.
4) Any attempt at "counting" ballots at 2 AM behind locked doors is punishable by immediate execution.

That's a good start.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 07:38 AM

59,434 posts, read 27,586,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What you're basically trying to do, is tilt the playing field to the right.

You would allow someone to vote who owns a tiny lot with an old trailer on it, vs. someone who pays high rent in a city. You eliminate the young. You eliminate the infirm.

I believe some of your criteria already exists.

I agree with #5, which already exists in Texas, and #10 would be a good record/bookkeeping devise.
"What you're basically trying to do, is tilt the playing field to the right.

So nobody on the left would qualify if had to comply with these?

The more I read from dems, the more I think to pass a test of some kind should be required to vote.

Old 12-31-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
are murderers not citizens? The only way you can strip voting rights is by stripping citizenship.
No. Anyone can request. Period.
Mandatory voting... like in Australia, Belgium, Luxembourg.

The fine for not voting in Australia is AUD20 ($13.68). AUD50 ($34.20) if you've done it before.
That's not true.

Being convicted of a felony sometimes does that.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:00 AM

35,823 posts, read 18,164,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What you're basically trying to do, is tilt the playing field to the right.

So nobody on the left would qualify if had to comply with these?

The more I read from dems, the more I think to pass a test of some kind should be required to vote.
"tilt the playing field to the right" doesn't translate to "remove all voting rights from the left".

I suspect you know that, but maybe not.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Apparently, most people in both parties do that. Vote straight ticket.

I didn't know it was so common. I would ever vote "straight party", especially in an election with a lot of offices to vote for. Seems pretty shallow.

https://www.courthousenews.com/most-...et-poll-shows/
I agree.

My wonderful grandfather voted straight ticket though.

And he had nothing personal against people in other parties, and had friends who were in other parties.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:18 AM

9,571 posts, read 4,397,599 times
1) Must be 25 years of age.
2) Must be a U.S citizen.
3) Must pay net-positive income tax.
4) Votes are weighted based on how much income tax you paid.
5) Your income tax vote weight is reduced by:
- Any outstanding tax obligations
- Any government retirement benefits, including military, that "double dip". Only the lowest retirement benefit would be excluded
- Any public assistance received: SSDI, SNAP, Social Security, unemployment, etc.
- A per diem rate for time spent incarcerated.
- Per diem rate for court costs incurred if you are convicted of a crime
- Hourly rate for every hour you were being processed by the criminal justice system, starting from the first contact with a police officer through final disposition of your sentence, if convicted. This includes time spent by police, probation officers, district attorneys, pubic defenders, compensation for witnesses (at their real rate of pay), etc.
6) Must successfully complete a US citizenship coarse, mostly rights based. No history questions.
7) Voting must be in person, with a valid State issued ID. Mail-in ballots would be allowed for overseas military personnel and government employees.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I would make people take an IQ test and they would have to hit a certain minimum. This would clear out all the Trumpers and we could have legitimate political candidates again.
In case you're serious/not being sarcastic, you're wrong.

On CD alone, there are MDs, STEM PhDs, etc. who are Trump supporters.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
- There should not be same day registration since that's not enough time to vet

- Any illegal that somehow gets amnesty should NEVER be allowed to vote

- must swear a loyalty pledge to put the interests of the United States FIRST become all foreign interests and all racial interests

Oh, the irony.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:48 AM

73,185 posts, read 62,886,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
What would you change?

!. Must own real property
2. Must pay ALL your taxes
3. Must be 25 y.o.
4. Must pass a simple test about the United States
5. Must vote in person and have photo ID. (some exceptions like Military)
6. Must have a form of income and pay taxes
7. Must have legal residence in the United States for the majority of the year
8. Must never been convicted of a 1st or 2nd degree felony
9. Must not be a repeat criminal offender
10. Must vote in at least one election every two years or lose your current registration

I don't own any property yet (I still rent an apartment). The first time I vote, I was 18 (back in 2004). I've voted in person, but I'm not against people doing mail-in voting. Making it a requirement to have a form of income, well, I'll just say this. What if you get laid off from your job? I have to ask because I've been laid off from a few jobs and left without income.

The way I see it, voting is a right. The Constitution says so. Why should I have to own property to vote? If a person is old enough to be drafted into the military, be charged as any adult, be given the death penalty, why should a person have to wait until they're 25 to vote? Either you're an adult or you're not, period. If you're an adult, you should have all of the responsibilities of adulthood as well as the rights of adulthood. I'll just say this. Any politician who wants to raise the voting age to 25, make it a requirement to own property, or deny the vote for someone who is unemployed, that is someone I will never vote for, period.

Old 12-31-2023, 08:53 AM

73,185 posts, read 62,886,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Must vote Republican.
Well, in that case, we might as well have a dictatorship. What you're proposing is what gets proposed in dictatorships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies