Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 10:25 AM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
one day, one vote in person with identification

voting is the lynch pin for the country's solvency.

Any tactic which gives one or the other party an advantage MUST be outlawed!
What is this bizarre obsession with one day only for voting? I usually vote early, because election day usually falls during the busy time at work, and I can't leave to go vote, while dozens of others twiddle their thumbs waiting for me to fix a system issue. Early voting here uses the same equipment as election day voting, with the same ID requirements and everything. In Harris County, the 2020 election had 1,263,000 early voters, 177,000 absentee voters, and 201,000 voters on election day. 77% of the voters voted early.

It might be instructive for you to talk to a person who can't leave their house due to disability about the in person voting requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2023, 10:38 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,413,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
What would you change?

!. Must own real property
2. Must pay ALL your taxes
3. Must be 25 y.o.
4. Must pass a simple test about the United States
5. Must vote in person and have photo ID. (some exceptions like Military)
6. Must have a form of income and pay taxes
7. Must have legal residence in the United States for the majority of the year
8. Must never been convicted of a 1st or 2nd degree felony
9. Must not be a repeat criminal offender
10. Must vote in at least one election every two years or lose your current registration
I would not be for any of the above^^except for #8 and maybe #10..... if voting laws were changed I would only allow in-person Precinct voting with a valid ID and stricter absentee ballot voting.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:40 AM

3,084 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Quote:

oh money too? cause none of those politicians are poor. none of them. most are millionaires and attached in some way to corporate america. and you and other posters worry about the voters? Nah. worrying about the wrong segment.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:40 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,413,199 times
Quote:

Maybe change the day of voting to Sunday no matter the date.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:59 AM

6,595 posts, read 7,093,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Maybe change the day of voting to Sunday no matter the date.
There are a lot of people that work on Sunday though in every community.

Old 12-28-2023, 11:59 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
I suspect and believe, we'll be voting one day from home. Probably not in my lifetime.

Old 12-28-2023, 12:06 PM

6,595 posts, read 7,093,175 times
Quote:
I suspect and believe, we'll be voting one day from home. Probably not in my lifetime.
I actually think that is closer than you think. Millenials are coming into their time and old farts like Joe Mitch and Donald are going away. At least I have hope that is.

Old 12-28-2023, 12:09 PM

512 posts, read 266,732 times
Quote:
Ah, we could do that now, with more than sufficient security precautions, but we lack the political will to do so.

Many people fear things that don't exist. So it won't work until enough people feel secure.

Old 12-28-2023, 12:20 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
What is this bizarre obsession with one day only for voting? I usually vote early, because election day usually falls during the busy time at work, and I can't leave to go vote, while dozens of others twiddle their thumbs waiting for me to fix a system issue. Early voting here uses the same equipment as election day voting, with the same ID requirements and everything. In Harris County, the 2020 election had 1,263,000 early voters, 177,000 absentee voters, and 201,000 voters on election day. 77% of the voters voted early.

It might be instructive for you to talk to a person who can't leave their house due to disability about the in person voting requirement.
I know you were replying to another poster, but voting absentee is different than early voting. The biggest issue I have with early voting is what if you cast your vote very early, then find out something afterwards that could change your mind?
Granted one party zealots like "Yellow Dog Democrats" would not care what might come out about someone with a (D) after their name, but many would.

Also, I seriously doubt voting early is as secure as voting in person to where you must show valid ID, and have your signature verified on the spot.

Old 12-28-2023, 12:21 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I would not be for any of the above^^except for #8 and maybe #10..... if voting laws were changed I would only allow in-person Precinct voting with a valid ID and stricter absentee ballot voting.
Why require voting at a specific precinct? Harris County has over 700 polling locations, and voters can vote at any of them. I work 30 miles from my precinct location, and there are days when I would not be able to get there after work. Harris County had nearly 1.3 million early voters in 2020, and nearly all of them voted at one of the central locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies