Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 04:26 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
And the CPI takes into consideration the cost of food, which is up approximately 17% since Biden took over. Based on your comment, I can assume that 8% is the fault of an orange man who was in charge of things in 2019 and 2020.
I'm just a messenger. You stick with your CPI if you want.

Presidents do not control the money supply.
The Fed does.
2020-2023 spans the pandemic...2 Presidents, one Fed that opened the spigot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2024, 04:27 PM

351 posts, read 162,175 times
Quote:
Yeah, it is. And it certainly doesn't change anything that I said. CPI is at approximately 17%. And anyone that owns a home, which is the majority of the country, is better off today than they were in 2020 (and 90% of those people are on fixed rate mortgage loans... Most undoubtedly in the 3% range.

Maybe their mortgages are fixed, but their tax assessment most likely aren't.

Old 01-22-2024, 04:35 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Yeah, it is. And it certainly doesn't change anything that I said. CPI is at approximately 17%. And anyone that owns a home, which is the majority of the country, is better off today than they were in 2020 (and 90% of those people are on fixed rate mortgage loans... Most undoubtedly in the 3% range.
no, it wasn't.

how much has the average family's net worth increased?
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I posted original research the other day he kept calling an "Op-Ed". It seems that it's his default response.
apparently so.

Old 01-22-2024, 04:37 PM

Quote:
And yet you seem to want to use that to place blame
No you did so squashed that one quick.

Old 01-22-2024, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Not at all. You implied CPI on your previous post. I'm always amazed at how people just can't seem to accept that the majority of Americans are actually in better shape than they were in 2020.

I'm sorry if that seems to trigger you.

Time for dinner. Have a good night.
Oh I get it now.

The economy is great, you're doing great and the bad news is just opinion.

Well at least I know where you are coming from.

Old 01-22-2024, 04:52 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
That's more than I/we spend. I'd have to wonder what junk they are buying. Probably lots of expensive and lousy processed foods. That's a personal problem.

Old 01-22-2024, 04:54 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,715,223 times
OK, this thread got me curious, so I went back and looked at my grocery spending for last month. Just for background, my sister and I live together, but we don't share foodstuffs at all, due to having different diets/preferences. (She is vegetarian, I decidedly am not. ) The only things shared are spices (salt, pepper, cinnamon, blah blah blah) and cleaning supplies. The system for buying those is 'whoever notices we're low/out of whatever when she's going to the store buys it.' So sometimes it's her, sometimes it's me.

There are also two cats and two dogs in the house. I'm responsible for the dogs and one of the cats, the other cat is her responsibility. (This will be explained in a bit.)

So my spending at a grocery store for December was $700.

Now, I should add that I have my milk and creamer and cold brew delivered from a local dairy, instead of buying it at the store. (I love milk, I don't care if adults shouldn't drink it, and the dairy stuff is wonderful, so I am happy to indulge in this. Sorrynotsorry.) My bill for December was $75. I also buy eggs from my friend (who owns a farm.) Typically two dozen a month for $5/dozen.

Now for the critters--I buy Science Diet for the dogs (one has a sensitive stomach and the vet recommended it), and so far, I've only seen it in pet stores (luckily, there's one next to the grocery store I go to.) A 40 pound bag is about $90, and will last the dogs for about a month. (I also buy them a bag of Fresh Pet from the grocery store, that'll last them about three weeks.)

The boy cat also has to eat a k/d food I can only get from his vet. (Or at least, I haven't seen it at a pet store yet.) An 8 pound bag is $70. It lasts him about two, two and a half months, about.

(My sister buys Friskies for the girl cat. The boy cat ate that too, until the vet looked at his urine, noted he was trying to develop crystals, and recommended a change in food. Having had a boy cat who went through a blockage years ago--everything turned out okay--I would rather pay more for the food upfront than go through the e-vet and the cat being in pain again.) I would like to note that technically speaking, the girl cat is my cat and the boy cat is my sister's cat....but the cats decided to switch humans.

So overall, my grocery/food spending for a month is about $900 a month, or about $225 a week. It'd probably be less if I bought milk and eggs from the grocery store (and if I didn't have all these critters in my house, but what can I say, I love them.)

Old 01-22-2024, 04:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post

Btw, if migrants are supposed to keep costs down, why are things this expensive after adding a Pennsylvania sized influx since 2020?
They are not working farms — they are getting “free” lodging, food, health care, phones & cash cards.

We probably spend around $700 a month. Costco for all paper products & some bill items. I watch sales, shop at Krogers on Fridays for 4x Fuel points - generally get around 70 cents off a gallon of gas for the truck every month.. Basically, we cook 3 times a week & eat leftovers. Much of our meat is venison, we grow vegetables year around, have a large herb garden. I can get 4 meals for 2 out of a $4.99 Costco chicken. Make and freeze lots of soups, we also eat a lot of ethnic foods - Chinese stir fry, all types of Tacos, Curries. Things you can use Bits & Pieces of leftovers.

My pantry is stuffed, as are my freezers - always something to put together for a balanced meal.
We might eat lunch out several times a month, never dinner out. Used to get order Pizza twice a month until they got so skimpy on the ingredients- I may have to take up making Pizza again. We are “ serious” cooks, on the gourmet level.

Only the 2 of us now, hate to think how terrible it is for families with dogs and teenagers.
I’ve been there and done this twice before — once as an extremely poor college student and then during the Carter Years.

We live frugally day to day and it often amazes me that we regularly spend more for a vacation annually than we spent for our first New Build home ($31,000) in 1975. It’s not that difficult to reduce your grocery bill and expenses if you need to do that. People don’t really “Cook” anymore. They also don’t really know how to economize anymore or the value of Saving.

Proud to say that we taught both our children (now knocking on door 50) how to do both.
Working on Grandchildren now.

Times are bad under the TeamBiden Regime, but we will likely recover- so just hang in there.

Old 01-22-2024, 05:14 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notghinsaw View Post
Maybe their mortgages are fixed, but their tax assessment most likely aren't.
I keep reading that nearly 40% of the homes owned have no mortgage. MY state has no state income tax so the property taxes are not cheap. Although the state raised the exemption this year. And over 65 have most of their property taxes frozen the day they turn 65. Ours went down a bunch.

France has stopped the sales of products owned by PepsiCo. I think it was due to excessive pricing. makes me wonder about here. I shop the perimeter of the grocery store. All that stuff in the middle, cereal, soda and chips are not consumed at our house.

Old 01-22-2024, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I keep reading that nearly 40% of the homes owned have no mortgage. MY state has no state income tax so the property taxes are not cheap. Although the state raised the exemption this year. And over 65 have most of their property taxes frozen the day they turn 65. Ours went down a bunch.

France has stopped the sales of products owned by PepsiCo. I think it was due to excessive pricing. makes me wonder about here. I shop the perimeter of the grocery store. All that stuff in the middle, cereal, soda and chips are not consumed at our house.
Oh there's a lot more than that in the middle.
Staples are in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies