Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2024, 06:38 PM

24,629 posts, read 9,454,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
As the United States Navy struggles to meet its recruiting quotas, the service announced last week that it would enlist those individuals who didn’t graduate from high school or even obtain a GED (General Educational Development) certificate. It marked the second time in the past year that the U.S. Navy has sought to meet its enlistment goals by adjusting barriers to entry.
Quote:
The U.S. Navy is currently the only branch of the U.S. military that is actively recruiting those without a high school diploma or GED as it works to expand the number of eligible candidates to join the service amid an historically challenging recruiting environment.
https://news.clearancejobs.com/2024/...ource=hs_email

Wow, just another day with Brandon as commander in chief.

The standards continue to decline at an alarming rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 06:55 PM

1,022 posts, read 528,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://news.clearancejobs.com/2024/...ource=hs_email

Wow, just another day with Brandon as commander in chief.

The standards continue to decline at an alarming rate.
Education outcomes in America have been dropping for decades, so is this necessarily a bad thing? I dont blame the Biden admin specifically for the decline in educational outcomes.

I have met people with 4 year college degrees they received in America that can barely spell, or formulate language in an understandable manner, both written and spoken.

Much more concerning is how the Navy has dropped the minimum ASVAB requirement to only 26.

The bottom ASAVAB was 50 if I recall correctly when I enlisted in 1987, and I scored an 89 with just a GED at the time.

The military in general has lost the faith of American people with the "woke" nonsense. That is one (of several) major reasons why enlistment is down.

Old 01-31-2024, 07:16 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
Education outcomes in America have been dropping for decades, so is this necessarily a bad thing? I dont blame the Biden admin specifically for the decline in educational outcomes.

I have met people with 4 year college degrees they received in America that can barely spell, or formulate language in an understandable manner, both written and spoken.

Much more concerning is how the Navy has dropped the minimum ASVAB requirement to only 26.

The bottom ASAVAB was 50 if I recall correctly when I enlisted in 1987, and I scored an 89 with just a GED at the time.

The military in general has lost the faith of American people with the "woke" nonsense. That is one (of several) major reasons why enlistment is down.
You and I must have been in the Navy around the same time. I’ve learned having a high school diploma or university education doesn’t necessarily mean they are intelligent or able to learn the job properly. Some people seem to have been pushed through to graduation without actually earning their grades. Some rely on their university degree like a crutch when confronted with their ignorance. I left the Navy as an MM2. My dad earned his GED while in the Navy in the 60s. Not having a high school nor university diploma doesn’t mean one isn’t intelligent. But I do agree with you about lowering ASVAB scores. The ASVAB was a relatively easy test that covered a wide range of knowledge questions. My score and match grades were enough to get me into the nuclear program (dropped out at second school). So many ship board jobs are easily converted to a civilian career.

Old 01-31-2024, 07:17 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Next up, illegals

Old 01-31-2024, 07:44 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
100%. If people are so wanting to succeed that they are willing to join the Navy, then let high school drop outs enlist. If they can successfully make it through Boot Camp, sign them up. Undocumented immigrants too, as a path to citizenship.

Anyone who is willing to go through that level of struggle, if they succeed, good for them. 100%.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:16 PM

7,334 posts, read 3,812,806 times
No English, no enlistment. Times have changed.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:18 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Have they dropped the requirement to speak English yet ?
How's about being an American citizen ?

There's not much more left to drop to get recruits....

Yup..a lot of young people really do hate America

Old 01-31-2024, 08:19 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

They’re probably about to drop the requirement to be a US citizen.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:20 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

Why would we want to drop those requirements? Honestly. Please, please, strong able people sign up to our military. And serve well. I don't want to, and I don't want my kids to sign up either, or my future grandkids. Anyone who willingly signs up and makes it through basic has my blessing.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:20 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
They’re probably about to drop the requirement to be a US citizen.
Possibly...the majority of the migrants are young single men
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies