Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 10:11 AM

9,423 posts, read 11,176,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://news.clearancejobs.com/2024/...ource=hs_email

Wow, just another day with Brandon as commander in chief.

The standards continue to decline at an alarming rate.
And it started at the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 10:17 AM

1,096 posts, read 561,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I graduated high school in 87 but didn’t go to boot camp until 1990 because I had tubes in my ears and had to wait for them to come out. Served until 98 when I was discharged for not being able to pass the fitness test due to shoulder injury. VA doctor once called my shoulder “rice crispies”. Served on the USS Iwo Jima LPH-2 in Desert Storm and then USS LaSalle AGF-3 when it went to Gaeta Italy. It was there that I injured my shoulder. It was at shore duty that I failed the fitness test for the 3rd time and was discharged. Being on the LaSalle gave me the chance to see places I never could before and probably never will again. Some highlights include Gibraltar, Barcelona, Malta, Florence, Pisa, Venice, Monte Carlo, Athens, Rhodes, Varna, Odessa (Ukraine, not Texas), Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Cairo, & Giza among many other places. It’s thanks to what I learned that I’m now on my 25th year at the hospital boiler room earning a steady paycheck.
Thats funny.

When I first joined the Navy I didnt strike into a Seabee rate right off, but was a Gunners Mate, GMG at first with a Stinger Missile NEC. I was assigned to the USS LasSalle (the Great White Ghost of the Arabian Coast) from 1987 to 1990, doing short TDY stints from the LaSalle to other ships coming into Bahrain. I was on 9 different ships in that time period, standing watch with the Stinger missile team on a rotating basis on upper weather deck levels, and a short stint with Small Boat Unit #2 that was protecting ships out anchored near BASREC. After 2+ years with the surface Navy I decided I wanted to become a Navy Seabee and leave the surface fleet behind.

Small world.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:36 AM

23,999 posts, read 15,096,054 times
What's the big deal? My brother drop out of high school in 1956 and IIRC, mom had to sign for him to join the Air Force.

Time was if you had a boy who just couldn’t get on track you sent them to the army. They’ll straighten that boy out was the community wisdom. That was in Middle River Md, Gaston county NC, Athens Ga and Houston Texas.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:39 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
What's the big deal? My brother drop out of high school in 1956 and IIRC, mom had to sign for him to join the Air Force.

Time was if you had a boy who just couldn’t get on track you sent them to the army. They’ll straighten that boy out was the community wisdom. That was in Middle River Md, Gaston county NC, Athens Ga and Houston Texas.

I agree. And they still have to score a 50 or better on the Armed Services Qualification Test, so they can't be illiterate.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...imal-risk.html

"The admiral also stressed that potential recruits who join without a diploma need to score 50 or higher -- a result that normally makes them "available for technical ratings" -- on the entrance exam.
"We're talking highly qualified people when it comes to the AFQT, and we didn't think that the education credential should stop them from having this opportunity," Cheeseman said. Other officials also noted that academics are not the only reason that people leave high school before graduating.
The hope is that the change will lead to a few thousand more possible recruits. In 2023, Cheeseman said that the Navy had 2,442 people walk into a recruiting station with no formal education credentials.
"I'm hoping that 2,442 people got phone calls over the weekend and they're scheduled to take tests," he said."

Old 02-01-2024, 03:03 PM

43,133 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree. And they still have to score a 50 or better on the Armed Services Qualification Test, so they can't be illiterate.
That's 50/99 with 99 being the highest score.

Old 02-01-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That's 50/99 with 99 being the highest score.
So what do you think they should do, when they are down thousands of recruits? Their recruitment goal was short by almost 8000 last year.

I was a high school drop out btw but it had no bearing on my intelligence. 10 years later I graduated from Thomas Jefferson University Magna c um Laude.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-01-2024 at 03:35 PM..

Old 02-01-2024, 03:26 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://news.clearancejobs.com/2024/...ource=hs_email

Wow, just another day with Brandon as commander in chief.

The standards continue to decline at an alarming rate.
Good, many kids that went wayward in their youth were helped tremendously by joining the military. Nothing new - remember the draft?? All should do 2 yrs. Boys n girls alike.

Old 02-01-2024, 03:27 PM

43,133 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
So what do you think they should do, when they are down thousands of recruits? Their recruitment goal was short by almost 8000 last year.
Mostly because they were too fat. That is the biggest disqualification and the reason for the shortfall.

What do I think they should do ? Put the nation on a diet.

In 2022 it was 15,000 short.

Old 02-01-2024, 03:48 PM

10,479 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
100%. If people are so wanting to succeed that they are willing to join the Navy, then let high school drop outs enlist. If they can successfully make it through Boot Camp, sign them up. Undocumented immigrants too, as a path to citizenship.

Anyone who is willing to go through that level of struggle, if they succeed, good for them. 100%.
Sounds like a set up to start gearing the US military to turn on it's own citizens.

Old 02-01-2024, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Sounds like a set up to start gearing the US military to turn on it's own citizens.
In what way? They’re doing it because they are very far short of recruiting goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies