Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 08:12 PM

23,860 posts, read 24,181,024 times

Advertisements

3D printers and CNC machines will ensure that parts flow and cars stay on the road.

They already are - 3D scanning & printing is already a common way to "source" hard to find interior parts and many other components can be 3D printed with carbon reinforced filament, making them suitable for high temp/shock applications.

Home CNC machines also already exist. The ability to reproduce a part is only limited by having an accurate model, the right tooling & a big enough machine to produce the part you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 08:14 PM

176 posts, read 70,509 times
Hmmm... Might be time for me to spring for another Toyota Landcruiser. Those things will run 30 years without any major repairs. And even then a little duct tape and bailing wire will often get me back on the road...

Old 02-28-2024, 08:16 PM

16,746 posts, read 8,731,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Wouldn't have bothered me if I had read such an article 10 years ago. I used to live in SF way back when. Once, when my parents visited me, one of the entertainment things we went to was a drag comedy show with some friends. My parents loved it; never laughed so hard. It was fabulous! Men dressed up in female garb and costumes don't bother me in the least! And, as long as their reading to children is both age and *child content appropriate,* with no material about gender or sex, then no big deal.
Wow, so you are only making my point for me.
For starters, if you were raised in SF way back when, rest assured what was "normal" in your small section of America was far from the norm in most of America.

That said, I grant you I do not know who your parents are/were, nor their sense of humor, nor the context of what comedy show they thought was funny.
I imagine my grandparents or maybe even parents thought Milton Berle was funny doing some type of a tranny skit, but he was also not a part of the alphabet people who some of which suffer from a mental illness known as gender dysphoria.
While we might have symphony for such people, that does not mean parents want their children exposed to what they might think is "normal child content appropriate" to learn about while in elementary school.
Heck in SF, there is a statue of Harvey Milk who is a known child molester, and what he/she/they/etc thought was "normal", did not comport with most of mainstream America. Nor does what sickos like members of NAMBLA believe, and they are based in SF.
Essentially do not try to obfuscate what adults like your (presumably hetero) parents thought was funny, vs. trying to indoctrinate children into thinking those in drag believe.

The same is true of most people in America who might be inclined to buy a more fuel efficient car, be it gasoline, diesel, electric, propane, hydrogen, etc., but are not going to accept that once their combustion car needs X amount of repairs at 15 years, they will be forced into mass transit, or some leftist POS type of flavor of the day eco vehicle.
Heck, there are plenty of cars that are worth hundreds of thousands (if not millions of dollars) that will never accept their prize possessions/investments, or practically loved cars (aka sleepy Joe and his corvette) just because they are X amount of years old.

Just look at cars that are shipped across the world by the wealthy and elites who will never be subject to their investments becoming scrap metal in a junkyard even in your states/Newsom's backyard;

https://pebblebeachconcours.net/

What say you to that!

Old 02-28-2024, 08:28 PM

16,746 posts, read 8,731,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Creeping incrementalism is real folks. It is hidden by claims of "chicken little" accusations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uukZgfHZIoc
Excellent!

I raise you;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfyxo-lFA0Y

Old 02-28-2024, 08:42 PM

8,429 posts, read 4,604,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Nice!

Old 02-28-2024, 08:46 PM

18,314 posts, read 15,834,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Wow, so you are only making my point for me.
For starters, if you were raised in SF way back when, rest assured what was "normal" in your small section of America was far from the norm in most of America.

That said, I grant you I do not know who your parents are/were, nor their sense of humor, nor the context of what comedy show they thought was funny.
I imagine my grandparents or maybe even parents thought Milton Berle was funny doing some type of a tranny skit, but he was also not a part of the alphabet people who some of which suffer from a mental illness known as gender dysphoria.
While we might have symphony for such people, that does not mean parents want their children exposed to what they might think is "normal child content appropriate" to learn about while in elementary school.
Heck in SF, there is a statue of Harvey Milk who is a known child molester, and what he/she/they/etc thought was "normal", did not comport with most of mainstream America. Nor does what sickos like members of NAMBLA believe, and they are based in SF.
Essentially do not try to obfuscate what adults like your (presumably hetero) parents thought was funny, vs. trying to indoctrinate children into thinking those in drag believe.

The same is true of most people in America who might be inclined to buy a more fuel efficient car, be it gasoline, diesel, electric, propane, hydrogen, etc., but are not going to accept that once their combustion car needs X amount of repairs at 15 years, they will be forced into mass transit, or some leftist POS type of flavor of the day eco vehicle.
Heck, there are plenty of cars that are worth hundreds of thousands (if not millions of dollars) that will never accept their prize possessions/investments, or practically loved cars (aka sleepy Joe and his corvette) just because they are X amount of years old.

Just look at cars that are shipped across the world by the wealthy and elites who will never be subject to their investments becoming scrap metal in a junkyard even in your states/Newsom's backyard;

https://pebblebeachconcours.net/

What say you to that!

Wasn't raised in SF or even in CA nor live there now. Your fixation on trans people or men dressing in drag, is not related to the topic of this thread.

As for older vehicles, which is the topic of this thread, I drive a 13 yr old car, and I plan to keep driving my car for as long as possible, hopefully 7 more years. I don't expect to be prevented from having my vehicle fixed as needed, whether it's 15 yrs old or more. If *you* want to live in fear of that occurring, that's your right...have at it! I don't believe that will be a thing I need to contend with.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:11 PM

2,572 posts, read 1,336,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
They already are - 3D scanning & printing is already a common way to "source" hard to find interior parts and many other components can be 3D printed with carbon reinforced filament, making them suitable for high temp/shock applications.
3D printers make PLASTIC things. Most auto parts are made of metal.
There are metal 3D printers, but they are very expensive.

Though, a 3D printer can be used for creating molds.

There are online services that allow you to load a 3D model for manufacturing using CNC machines. I tried once, they quoted $500 for a small part.

Soon, somewhere in Ohio.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:22 PM

9,488 posts, read 10,851,406 times
This is laying the groundwork for getting rid of gasoline cars. The leftists have already anticipated the fact that a whole industry of refurbishment of old gas cars will rise up as an answer to government mandated EV new car sales. They have to get the old cars off the road to do this.

It may work in Europe but here in America whole states and regions would refuse to comply. This kind of law is only possible in blue leftist states.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:33 PM

6,444 posts, read 2,762,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Wasn't raised in SF or even in CA nor live there now. Your fixation on trans people or men dressing in drag, is not related to the topic of this thread.

As for older vehicles, which is the topic of this thread, I drive a 13 yr old car, and I plan to keep driving my car for as long as possible, hopefully 7 more years. I don't expect to be prevented from having my vehicle fixed as needed, whether it's 15 yrs old or more. If *you* want to live in fear of that occurring, that's your right...have at it! I don't believe that will be a thing I need to contend with.
And if you want to live in your little box with your head in the sand, that's your right.

No one is living in "fear" that's just some projecting you are doing. But we have seen time and time again things that "would never happen"..."happen". We have also seen things proposed, brought out in the light, and then being pulled back. If things like this are not exposed, it makes it easier for them to just happen and you wake up one day finding that your 13-year-old car is no longer allowed to be driven.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:44 PM

19,948 posts, read 9,511,488 times
I am almost positive that there would be exceptions for EXPENSIVE classic cars more than 25 years old that only the rich can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies