Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:23 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times

Advertisements

Echoes of Great Depression as Dow takes another dive - Times Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 11:59 AM

148 posts, read 644,939 times
Default How can the economy improve with such low consumer confidence and rapidly rising energy costs?

I see no way the American Economy can ever really recover. Our day in the sun has come and gone. With the rising cost of energy and such low consumer confidence, credit crisis and weak political leadership I see no way things will improve. Business grows only if there is hope by most people that the economy will be booming in the near future. I do not see this happening.

The glory days of America is over!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:27 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I see no way the American Economy can ever really recover. Our day in the sun has come and gone. With the rising cost of energy and such low consumer confidence, credit crisis and weak political leadership I see no way things will improve. Business grows only if there is hope by most people that the economy will be booming in the near future. I do not see this happening.

I won't go that far, to say the glory days are over, not entirely. I do have faith the economy will recover, but it's going to be a long, hard row to hoe to get there. Had the economists/politicians/rich folks alike and all, had the foresight to the current events some 10+ years ago, I feel reasonably certain what we as a country are experiencing now would be but a bad dream. But the powers that be didn't act at that time, and here we are, now.

I've always, also, heard the DOW is a predictor some six months out of the economy to come. It was bad back in 1987, too, but we bounced back, remarkably well. The economy will bounce back, once again. I have to be confident, for I will not accept defeat. Apparently some, perhaps including you, do not feel confident? Sorry for you, then. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:00 PM

329 posts, read 586,109 times
Quote:

Move over then, pops. There are still plenty of us hungry to get the job done. We won't need negativity while we're at it.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:03 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,253 times
Quote:

It will all be ok!

Old 06-27-2008, 02:04 PM

148 posts, read 644,939 times
Default This recession is different

This recession is different. The oil prices, the poor work ethnic of many Americans, failing schools, credit crunch, national debt and the available low cost labor that can be brought in to do about 50% of American jobs really makes this scary.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:39 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times
It's going to take alot of work to repair the economy. Unfortunately, I can't see McCain or Obama doing much to help the problem. What a mess.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:53 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Ugh. Two terms of Bush. Four years ago some pulitzer prize winner said she didn't know if the world could survive four more years of Bush - more like this country. Is it time to start hiding our (worthless) dollars under the bed mattress? Should I stop following the news? Should I spend every last dime I have before there are no more dimes to spend? What a predicament. What a mess. What a disaster. What a crime. Two hundred plus years of a great country - flushed down the toilet in only eight years. I wish I had a glass of wine. Maybe I'll take a sleeping pill instead. Wake me up when it's over. This country is FUBAR.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:06 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
I won't go that far, to say the glory days are over, not entirely. I do have faith the economy will recover, but it's going to be a long, hard row to hoe to get there. Had the economists/politicians/rich folks alike and all, had the foresight to the current events some 10+ years ago, I feel reasonably certain what we as a country are experiencing now would be but a bad dream. But the powers that be didn't act at that time, and here we are, now.

I've always, also, heard the DOW is a predictor some six months out of the economy to come. It was bad back in 1987, too, but we bounced back, remarkably well. The economy will bounce back, once again. I have to be confident, for I will not accept defeat. Apparently some, perhaps including you, do not feel confident? Sorry for you, then. Good luck.
Wishing will not make this so. This isn't a job for Cutex. You won't accept defeat? Gee, what's your game plan and maybe Obama can use you as his VP. Or maybe Ben Bernanke can use your help?

Old 06-28-2008, 06:25 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Are you sure Chicken Little didn't write this??? It's rediculous! Let me remind you of a few things.

1. We had a great depression, it was a LOT worse than now...we got through it.

2. Even if the glory days are over (which isn't totally implausible) America will still be around. I think we are, right now, where the British Empire was a hundred years ago: Still powerful, still ruled the waves, but America was catching up on her. Oh, and last time I checked, Britain was still around.

3. We've been through a Civil War...half a million soldiers killed, by fellow Americans...can't get much worse than that.

4. Countries all have their down points. Canada almost split in two because of Quebec JUST TEN YEARS AGO! Now they're doing great.

I've also noticed through our history that big reform movements tend to come in waves as social problems come up. Think about this.

1. 1770s--The American Revolution takes care of "British Tyranny", creates reforms in society and mindset, and creates a new nation

2. 1800--The Federalists go down the path to big government, and the country elects Jefferson instead. He stops/rolls back the expansion of government

3. 1830s--Jackson is elected in 1828 and completely revamps the social order to make it more democratic. The Democrats basically run America until.....

4. 1860s--The Civil War breaks out over slavery and the secession of the South. The Republicans rise to power. They carry out the Civil War, give blacks civil rights and reform how Americans view government and their own country.

5. 1890-1910--THe Progressive Era responds to the changes brought on by the Industrial Revolution. Tenements are reformed, corruption is reduced, womens suffrage gains steam, and the first federal workplace regulations go into effect.

6. 1930s--The Great Depression ushers in FDR and the New Deal: Dramatically changes the Americans' view toward their governnment as its size is increased.

7. 1960s--Most of you lived through this ( I didn't) so I won't go into detail.

8. Turn of the century. We all know what we're dealing with today.

These all happened roughly every thirty years (Once a generation). It is nothing new. Am I unsettled? Somewhat. There are times where I wonder if we'll make it through, but because I studied history, I know that we've been through similar (and worse) waters before. Yes America has SERIOUS problems, and is ripe for reform, but we won't fall apart. So chill out why don't ya!

Mackinac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies