Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the confederate flag?
I'm from the North and it is a symbol of hate and racism 54 21.77%
I'm from the North and it is a symbol of southern pride and heritage 57 22.98%
I'm from the South and it is a symbol of hate and racism 30 12.10%
I'm from the South and it is a symbol of our pride and heritage 53 21.37%
I'm from neither the North or the South and it is a symbol of hate and racism 26 10.48%
I'm from neither the North or the South and it is a symbol of southern pride and heritage 28 11.29%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 06:26 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Is the American flag a symbol of hate and racism to the Japanese who were put in concentration camps during WWII?

Is the American flag offensive to Native Americans? It should be.

How about the Union Jack? Imagine the millions who could be offended by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 06:27 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
I view it as a flag.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:28 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
There was a bar I used to frequent and started talking to one individual who was really into Southern heritage, He would go to graves of confederate dead and was involved in Civil War reenactments. He insisted that it had nothing to do with racism. About the fourth or fifth time we conversed he showed me pictures of his family. I responded by showing him pictures of mine (the wife is a Filipina). His jaw dropped, the conversation became a bit awkward. He soon left, never saw him again.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:58 AM

73,029 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It right up there with the American flag. It represents people who had the guts to fight a tyrannical government and for what they believed, just like George Washington.
Tyrannical for whom,though? One man's tyrant is considered another man's hero.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:03 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhlu View Post
How do you guys feel about the flag of the confederacy?
Under the Confederate flag there was government approved slavery. Therefore, it is a symbol of oppression and racism of the worst kind.

Under the American flag there was government approved slavery. Therefore, it is a symbol of freedom and equality for all.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:18 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhlu View Post
How do you guys feel about the flag of the confederacy?

I like the General Lee and southern babes in confederate flag bikinis. Other than that, I have no opinion of it.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:38 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Under the Confederate flag there was government approved slavery. Therefore, it is a symbol of oppression and racism of the worst kind.

Under the American flag there was government approved slavery. Therefore, it is a symbol of freedom and equality for all.
Such an old thread... but your comments remind me of this one particular quote, well actually two :
okay three, tops

“Instead of friends, I see in Washington only mortal enemies. Instead of loving the old flag of the stars and stripes, I see in it only the symbol of murder, plunder, oppression, and shame.” - Rose O’Neal Greenhow, Confederate Spy

“As for the South, it is enough to say that perhaps eighty per cent. of her armies were neither slave-holders, nor had the remotest interest in the institution. No other proof, however, is needed than the undeniable fact that at any period of the war from its beginning to near its close the South could have saved slavery by simply laying down its arms and returning to the Union.” - Major General John B. Gordon, from his book, Causes of the Civil War.

“I tried all in my power to avert this war. I saw it coming, for twelve years I worked night and day to prevent it, but I could not. The North was mad and blind; it would not let us govern ourselves, and so the war came, and now it must go on unless you acknowledge our right to self government. We are not fighting for slavery. We are fighting for Independence.” - President Jefferson Davis, CSA

Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Such an old thread... but your comments remind me of this one particular quote, well actually two :
okay three, tops

“Instead of friends, I see in Washington only mortal enemies. Instead of loving the old flag of the stars and stripes, I see in it only the symbol of murder, plunder, oppression, and shame.” - Rose O’Neal Greenhow, Confederate Spy

“As for the South, it is enough to say that perhaps eighty per cent. of her armies were neither slave-holders, nor had the remotest interest in the institution. No other proof, however, is needed than the undeniable fact that at any period of the war from its beginning to near its close the South could have saved slavery by simply laying down its arms and returning to the Union.” - Major General John B. Gordon, from his book, Causes of the Civil War.

“I tried all in my power to avert this war. I saw it coming, for twelve years I worked night and day to prevent it, but I could not. The North was mad and blind; it would not let us govern ourselves, and so the war came, and now it must go on unless you acknowledge our right to self government. We are not fighting for slavery. We are fighting for Independence.” - President Jefferson Davis, CSA
Jeff Davis was full of it.The war began because of secession and most of the seceding states specifically mentioned slavery as one of their reasons for wanting out of the union.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:57 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
None of the above. I am from the North, have lived in the South and West and couldn't care less. It is an issue that the South should deal with within their jurisdiction.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:03 AM

73,029 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Jeff Davis was full of it.The war began because of secession and most of the seceding states specifically mentioned slavery as one of their reasons for wanting out of the union.
It is in the Articles of Secession that slavery is mentioned as a reason.

Declaration of Causes of Secession

This is the reason leaders in Georgia gave in the first few sentences:

"The people of Georgia having dissolved their political connection with the Government of the United States of America, present to their confederates and the world the causes which have led to the separation. For the last ten years we have had numerous and serious causes of complaint against our non-slave-holding confederate States with reference to the subject of African slavery."

and more:

"The party of Lincoln, called the Republican party, under its present name and organization, is of recent origin. It is admitted to be an anti-slavery party. While it attracts to itself by its creed the scattered advocates of exploded political heresies, of condemned theories in political economy, the advocates of commercial restrictions, of protection, of special privileges, of waste and corruption in the administration of Government, anti-slavery is its mission and its purpose. By anti-slavery it is made a power in the state. "

The reason from Mississippi:

"In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.

The hostility to this institution commenced before the adoption of the Constitution, and was manifested in the well-known Ordinance of 1787, in regard to the Northwestern Territory.

The feeling increased, until, in 1819-20, it deprived the South of more than half the vast territory acquired from France.

The same hostility dismembered Texas and seized upon all the territory acquired from Mexico.

It has grown until it denies the right of property in slaves, and refuses protection to that right on the high seas, in the Territories, and wherever the government of the United States had jurisdiction.

It refuses the admission of new slave States into the Union, and seeks to extinguish it by confining it within its present limits, denying the power of expansion.

It tramples the original equality of the South under foot.

It has nullified the Fugitive Slave Law in almost every free State in the Union, and has utterly broken the compact which our fathers pledged their faith to maintain.

It advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst."

And here is the link to it: Declaration of Causes of Secession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies