Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 03:39 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,500,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post

No.. not only an HMO.. there is a thing called PPO and you have to use "network doctors"/ You can go out of network but you pay out of pocket.

Depends on what surgery etc. Depends on where you live.. depends on a lot of things.. Maybe things were calmer ten.. but there are waits... and it certainly wouldn't change if there wasn't if we had a UHC.
I know what PPO is,,, I am a Dr...
Calmer... this was 2 years ago...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 04:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,300,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
I know what PPO is,,, I am a Dr...
Calmer... this was 2 years ago...
There are some, such as the previous poster, who is very well intentioned but, does not understand the actual mechanics of the health-care system. And, it is very understandable that they do not.

I have spent several years on a non partisan committee of interested citizens, requested by the House of Representatives, to look at the "system" and to offer recommendations (plural), from a private citizens perspective, on changes that we felt might be considered to help make health insurance accessible to all those that wanted it. We did not address a UHI / government run or sponsored program. Our task was to look at the private sectors programs. Our formal report will be given to the Congress in January, 2009.

Some of our recommendations are:
Pass legislation to allow health insurance to be sold across state lines. Allow HEW to review proposed insurance rates / conditions much like state insurance regulators do today.

Allow "industry pools" - allow professional organizations to create insurance pools (legislation in the Congress to allow this is currently stalled in the Senate).

Cap punitive awards.

Create a grant program based on financial need to allow individuals to purchase insurance from the company of their choice

There are 15 specific recommendations that will be made -

I don't know anyone who does not want quality, affordable insurance to be available to anyone that wants it.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:18 PM

358 posts, read 518,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Please discuss.

there is no place in america for any type of federal or state universal health care coverage at all.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:31 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,117,945 times
There's no AUTHORITY for the government to implement universal healthcare in America.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,139,697 times
About health care, I DO NOT like paying $10 for a tylenol in my hospital room that cost me 10 times more than a stay at the merriot hotel with room service. I dont want to pay bloated salarys to healtcare people. I dont want to pay for the worlds medical advances anymore, or three times as much on my bill if I dont have insurance. Dont really want to wait in line for 20 illegal aliens to go ahead of me...they should have their wages garnished to pay into a national health care system to even be in line. I do not want to pay twice as much for medicine, or pay insurance companies 20% off the top for the same thing the government can do for 3%. I dont like seeing american labor with this ankle-weight dragging them down in the world marketplace.

This is how japan delivers better healthcare for its citizens for half the cost:

Japanese Pay Less for More Health Care : NPR

It doesnt have to raise taxes, japan saves on their plan because they cut out all the gravy suckers. And they pick their own doctor, get more scans, live longer, and have private owned hospitals. American medical salaries should fall in line with europe and japan. You should be in that field because you want to help sick people, not for the fat pay. If your in it for the money and sending lobby to congress to protect your gravy, then hit the road. Put caps on malpractice suits and drug profits, dump insurance companies and hospital administrators. Perhaps every country could start paying 2% of their healthcare budget for world R&D instead of it falling on US patients.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,248,185 times
I am still waiting for someone to explain how the Gov who can't seem to manage much smaller programs is going to manage this one. It would be complex. They have failed with the VA hospital system.
They have failed with medicare and medicaid.
They are at best struggling with social security.
Welfare? LOL when its not completely out of control its on the hairy edge of out of control.
Do we really want the same folks who can't seem to compromise enough to pass easy legeslation to control our healthcare?
I don't.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,737,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I am still waiting for someone to explain how the Gov who can't seem to manage much smaller programs is going to manage this one. It would be complex. They have failed with the VA hospital system.
They have failed with medicare and medicaid.
They are at best struggling with social security.
Welfare? LOL when its not completely out of control its on the hairy edge of out of control.
Do we really want the same folks who can't seem to compromise enough to pass easy legeslation to control our healthcare?
I don't.
Took the FDA 3 months to figure out people weren't getting sick from tomatoes.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,248,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Took the FDA 3 months to figure out people weren't getting sick from tomatoes.
ROFL I forgot about that.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:21 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,150,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
About health care, I DO NOT like paying $10 for a tylenol in my hospital room that cost me 10 times more than a stay at the merriot hotel with room service. I dont want to pay bloated salarys to healtcare people. I dont want to pay for the worlds medical advances anymore, or three times as much on my bill if I dont have insurance. Dont really want to wait in line for 20 illegal aliens to go ahead of me...they should have their wages garnished to pay into a national health care system to even be in line. I do not want to pay twice as much for medicine, or pay insurance companies 20% off the top for the same thing the government can do for 3%. I dont like seeing american labor with this ankle-weight dragging them down in the world marketplace.

This is how japan delivers better healthcare for its citizens for half the cost:

Japanese Pay Less for More Health Care : NPR

It doesnt have to raise taxes, japan saves on their plan because they cut out all the gravy suckers. And they pick their own doctor, get more scans, live longer, and have private owned hospitals. American medical salaries should fall in line with europe and japan. You should be in that field because you want to help sick people, not for the fat pay. If your in it for the money and sending lobby to congress to protect your gravy, then hit the road. Put caps on malpractice suits and drug profits, dump insurance companies and hospital administrators. Perhaps every country could start paying 2% of their healthcare budget for world R&D instead of it falling on US patients.
That's an awful lot of hard work and long schooling and huge school loans for an intelligent person to go through to be told at the end of it that you are allowed to make but so much money. The best of the best (the people you want operating on you) are not going to sign up for that. That's why so many physicians from other countries emigrate to America where they command as much money as their dedication, learning, skill, experience and intelligence can get them. People's willingness to sacrifice the doctors freedom to earn, to their desire to get something for nothing, amounts to a willingness to steal.

Last edited by laysayfair; 07-25-2008 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-25-2008, 10:46 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,139,697 times
With universal care, such as in japan, The govenrments role is as follows:
The gov puts out a price sheet on every drug, medical supply, or procedure that a doctor can do do you. Thats what they have to charge, by law. If the doctor or hospital wants more money, they go before a board that reviews and decides if its B.S. or legit. Right now they do an MRI scan for $100 and a hospital room is as low as $10 a night. It gets better, because the the administrative costs to the gov is only 3%. Were paying 20% just in insurance companies profit. Their government pays for the poor out of the $200 they collect from everyone else.

Were paying for our poor's healthcare with taxes, so whats the difference ? Well, we have to pay double what japan pays for each one of them, because our system is a forced monopoly and not a system at all. They have a REAL system of cost control that cuts all the fat at the review board with the price sheet. We should expect and demand the same 3% from our government to run it, as japan does. You cant let the rich opt out of the new system or try and have it both ways.

Japans system is the best the consumer will ever have in universal care. A simple copy and paste for america can start saving us a whole lot of money, unless your in the medical field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies