Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 PM

250 posts, read 335,998 times

Advertisements

Brandishing a weapon is threatening to most people, especially those unarmed and unwilling to protect themselves or others. Brandishing is a crime in my state. CCW holders keep them concealed. I have worn two .45 ACPs for years and no stranger has ever asked me if I carry. But I don't whip it out to make a point. People who must brandish a weapon instead of using their head should not be given a CCW permit.

If you brandish your weapon, you had better be ready to use it to kill, because when other, not-so-stable people see your weapon, they will get their own. Do not empty-threat with a weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 03:36 PM

Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 455,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshinspections View Post
Brandishing a weapon is threatening to most people, especially those unarmed and unwilling to protect themselves or others. Brandishing is a crime in my state. CCW holders keep them concealed. I have worn two .45 ACPs for years and no stranger has ever asked me if I carry. But I don't whip it out to make a point. People who must brandish a weapon instead of using their head should not be given a CCW permit.

If you brandish your weapon, you had better be ready to use it to kill, because when other, not-so-stable people see your weapon, they will get their own. Do not empty-threat with a weapon.
Thank you....I appreciate a rational perspective.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:18 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
There is an effort about to pass an open carry law in Texas, but it isn't likely to happen. For one, online petitions are worthless. Secondly, there is a huge difference between concealed carry and open carry, and I am not talking about the physical differences but the reaction of the public.

Obviously, with concealed carry, no one should know you are armed. With open carry, it is blatantly obvious that you are carrying, and that will cause a myraid of reactions. It is better no one knows who is armed, that way the criminals can't determine how condusive the environment is. Secondly, concealed carry forgos all the public phobia on guns.

We are lucky to have the laws we have, and if anything, more effort should be applied to reducing the restrictions in place.

Cheers! M2
You show Kimbers and Colts to your friends, you show Glocks to your enemies and you don't show anything to everyone else.

I think open carry would be feasible in rural areas (where they seem to already have it) but would be utterly obscene and problematic in metros like Houston and Dallas.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshinspections View Post

Then they had better learn to get over their irrational fear, because they do NOT have the right to tell others that they can not carry a weapon to protect themselves.

I carry openly, and often. How others react is not my concern. If they have a problem just seeing a firearm, then they should seek professional help because they are truly mentally unstable.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:40 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The crazy ones intent on killing at the colleges do so anyways regardless of the "no guns" rule. And they have lots of unarmed victims.
I never said anything about that, I said I would feel better not seeing it, it's ignorance is bliss.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Then they had better learn to get over their irrational fear, because they do NOT have the right to tell others that they can not carry a weapon to protect themselves.

I carry openly, and often. How others react is not my concern. If they have a problem just seeing a firearm, then they should seek professional help because they are truly mentally unstable.
how about a story? My mom used to run a boarding home for mentally ill women. One of them got her hands on a gun and blew her brains out in the middle of the night, after shooting a couple others... I was about 6-7 and asleep upstairs. That could just as easily been me. Some of us may have a fear of guns, but it is pretty reasonable.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:19 PM

251 posts, read 880,578 times
Yes!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
No, it should be ilegal.
If you have a lic. for CONCEALED handgun,, you should have it CONCEALED..
But I must say,, I am pro-guns,, I think the constitution is clear in this subject...
And I think everybody should have a gun if they want... but if the law requires you to have it concealed, then you should have it concealed....
Agreed!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:56 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
how about a story? My mom used to run a boarding home for mentally ill women. One of them got her hands on a gun and blew her brains out in the middle of the night, after shooting a couple others... I was about 6-7 and asleep upstairs. That could just as easily been me. Some of us may have a fear of guns, but it is pretty reasonable.
No, it is not reasonable. People fear what they don't know. Anyone who fears firearms is ignorant of their proper use, and that ignorance is what leads to an irrational fear.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:17 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,945 times
I do carry and no I do not think it should be open carry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies