Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:10 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,585,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The Daily Bruin - Hating country music is elitist, misguided

I came across this newspaper which was in UCLA's student newspaper. A lot of what the author writes makes sense especially with the elitism in the urban areas of the NOrtheast and West Coast. I've noticed some of this here in the DC area and its a lot worse in NY, Boston, and California. Where I live, the "country" or "Red state" lifestyle is considered anti-establishment which is why I blast country music from my car at full volume (only when I drive through a yuppie neighborhood) and walk around in a John Deere hat and why I'm thinking about getting a Confederate flag.

ONce this rich snobby stiff told me to turn it down, I gave him the bird and told him to f___ himself. I was at a gas station in a snotty area the other week and took satisfaction in that some snotty "***" girls rolled up their windows when I blasted Kellie PIckler and Taylor Swift. And I only do this is in this kind of community because I don't resent working class folks or African Americans (these are ordinary people, the heart and soul of the real America). Just because Obama is black doesn't mean he's in touch with the working class. He is an elitist, pandering politician who uses division and fear and arrogance to get votes. And yes, his elitist remarks about small town USA panders to voters in California, New Jersey, New England, New York, Seattle and Portland.

Is the urban coastal liberal elite out of touch with the real America? And is Barack OBama part of the coastal liberal elite or does he represent the real America like he likes us to believe he does?
Talk about a multiple personality post. Which direction are you trying to go, talking about country music or ripping on Obama? Where's the connection here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 02:12 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,686,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I lived in Battery Park for two years after college. Read over my post again and point out where I said "NYC is un-American".
Did you leave Battery Park during those 2 years? NYC is the epitome of "America". Battery Park is probably the most isolated area of Manhattan. I cannot think of anywhere more "America" than NYC... and I've been all over the country.

Quote:
AMERICA is not what you see when you wander the streets of New York City

Old 08-07-2008, 02:27 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,944,489 times
I like Country Music. I don't like Nascar. I like Southern coooking. I don't like grits. I love Boston and NYC and SF and Tampa and Savannah and Charleston. I strongly believe in family values. I am gay. I am registered Democrat, but have voted for various republican and independent candidates.

Turning up your music and flipping people off? What is that? I'm sure there are people that look down on those different than them, but you are assuming based on someone's car or the way they dress or the neighborhood they live in that they look down on you? So you then behave the way you think they expect you to? Think really deeply about your views on this and you may find you are part of a self fulfilling prophecy.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:28 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,729,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Did you leave Battery Park during those 2 years? NYC is the epitome of "America". Battery Park is probably the most isolated area of Manhattan. I cannot think of anywhere more "America" than NYC... and I've been all over the country.
I somewhat agree. However, what do foreigners do when they impersonate an American... most of the time they do a little cowboy act with a funny southern drawl. Do they choose this impersonation because it is such a standout type of American or is it because Southern culture is the most dominant culture we have?

Old 08-07-2008, 02:29 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,519,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The Daily Bruin - Hating country music is elitist, misguided

I came across this newspaper which was in UCLA's student newspaper. A lot of what the author writes makes sense especially with the elitism in the urban areas of the NOrtheast and West Coast. I've noticed some of this here in the DC area and its a lot worse in NY, Boston, and California. Where I live, the "country" or "Red state" lifestyle is considered anti-establishment which is why I blast country music from my car at full volume (only when I drive through a yuppie neighborhood) and walk around in a John Deere hat and why I'm thinking about getting a Confederate flag.

ONce this rich snobby stiff told me to turn it down, I gave him the bird and told him to f___ himself. I was at a gas station in a snotty area the other week and took satisfaction in that some snotty "***" girls rolled up their windows when I blasted Kellie PIckler and Taylor Swift. And I only do this is in this kind of community because I don't resent working class folks or African Americans (these are ordinary people, the heart and soul of the real America). Just because Obama is black doesn't mean he's in touch with the working class. He is an elitist, pandering politician who uses division and fear and arrogance to get votes. And yes, his elitist remarks about small town USA panders to voters in California, New Jersey, New England, New York, Seattle and Portland.

Is the urban coastal liberal elite out of touch with the real America? And is Barack OBama part of the coastal liberal elite or does he represent the real America like he likes us to believe he does?

Well.........if your an elite for hating country music and NASCAR........I guess I'm guilty of being an "elite." Actually I'm even worse than that, considering I was born and raised In Mass. You know, where the anti-christ lives...Ted Kennedy. So actually I not just an "elite" I'm a living, breathing, country hating, NASCAR baby eating Incubus . Or something like that.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:35 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,686,598 times
I think he's a country music poseur, a country "hipster" if you will, listening to it only to think he's rebelling against the mainstream and showing them who's boss, maannnnnnn!

Me, I just listen to what I like and don't watch sports at all.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:36 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,625,114 times
One can't get any more American that New York City. It is the primal city in the nation & one of the oldest cities. Ellis Island is America.

Let's be frank, country music is not a big item in the more populated regions but that has nothing to do with the people who happen to like country music. As a genre in the vast variety of American music, country is one among many styles. It is a big mistake that Republican Southerns make in thinking that country music is disliked because many Americans dislike Southerners. Separate from its roots [Nashville] country music an American music w/ its followers. Same goes for car racing. Guys are racing all over the nation but it seems to attract more fans in the South [so what?]. It is a sport [well sorta] with fans, but doesn't attract everyone.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:40 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,871,052 times
nascar is a sport? well that's news to me! that's like calling bowling a sport. it's more of a hobby, like hunting. new york to me is a cesspool full of idiots. many better cities out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
One can't get any more American that New York City. It is the primal city in the nation & one of the oldest cities. Ellis Island is America.

Let's be frank, country music is not a big item in the more populated regions but that has nothing to do with the people who happen to like country music. As a genre in the vast variety of American music, country is one among many styles. It is a big mistake that Republican Southerns make in thinking that country music is disliked because many Americans dislike Southerners. Separate from its roots [Nashville] country music an American music w/ its followers. Same goes for car racing. Guys are racing all over the nation but it seems to attract more fans in the South [so what?]. It is a sport [well sorta] with fans, but doesn't attract everyone.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:41 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,871,052 times
you're right. it doesn't get more american than new york.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post

Old 08-07-2008, 02:44 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,585,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you're right. it doesn't get more american than new york.

A picture of Chinatown....and???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies