Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 06:24 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I'm enraged. Is this true? Why is it not being covered by the media? And why are people making light of it. I don't care much for the olympics but never wanted it to go to China.
It will be covered but only AFTER the Olympics as part of a "gentleman's agreement" between the major sponsors/advertisers and the TV networks. While the big sponsors like Coke and AT&T cannot tell the networks or cable news channels what to report, they have let it be known that they want bad coverage kept to a minimum during the games and they want the coverage focused on the games and not on protest and politics. And when money talks, TV listens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 06:53 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
I'm enraged. Is this true? Why is it not being covered by the media? And why are people making light of it. I don't care much for the olympics but never wanted it to go to China.
Yes, it is true. It has been covered by the media - there is no need to cover it every day in every report.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:13 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Yet another reason for me to not watch the Olympics. I never understood why China, with its blatant and numerous human rights violations, was chosen to host the Olympics anyway. Now this ridiculousness, in addition to their shabby security, just adds more fuel to the fire.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:28 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
The day anyone tells me a Black Woman that I can't drink where I want to is the day someone will pay very darely.
Head on over to Beijing and let us know how it turns out for you.

I'm sure China looks at the US (or Europe) and is disgusted at some of the stuff that we do/allow. It goes both ways as this is two entirely different cultures were talking about.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:39 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,414,674 times
Quote:
The day anyone tells me a Black Woman that I can't drink where I want to is the day someone will pay very darely. Go be flipant elsewhere I'm not in the mood to deal with your kind.
Dont go to China, I dont think your bravado would impress them.
I think I'll stay here & be flippant about things I have no power to change, your mood notwithstanding.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:02 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Why am I not surprised at this story. The same country that would give weapons to the Sudanese Arab Africans to massively kill Sudanese sub-Saharan Africans. The same country who gives America dozens of immigrants who hold the biggest hatred towards all black Americans, all while pandering to whites, especially Asian females towards white males, in order to be seen as American.

China is no better than it was 30 years ago with its social rights. No wonder why the 2000s/Bush America is so cordial to the country.
Just in case you forgot.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/06/03/china.trade/

Clinton Proposes Renewing China's Most-Favored Trade Status

Congressional reaction mixed amidst larger China policy issues

WASHINGTON (AllPolitics, June 3) -- President Bill Clinton on Wednesday proposed renewing most-favored-nation (MFN) trade status for China, saying it was "clearly in our nation's interest" as he urged Congress to support the request.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:33 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Just in case you forgot.

Clinton Proposes Renewing China's Most-Favored Trade Status - June 3, 1998

Clinton Proposes Renewing China's Most-Favored Trade Status

Congressional reaction mixed amidst larger China policy issues

WASHINGTON (AllPolitics, June 3) -- President Bill Clinton on Wednesday proposed renewing most-favored-nation (MFN) trade status for China, saying it was "clearly in our nation's interest" as he urged Congress to support the request.
So what are you trying to say? That Clinton was a liar and a slimeball? I happen to agree!

Old 08-10-2008, 09:58 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Just shows that you can't bring a backward people into a modern world, no matter how much money they accumulate through slave labour. To use any kind of excuse to justify this behaviour by China is complete ignorance. Racism can not be tolerated and is the refuge of a moron.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:03 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
While I might not agree with this particular policy, to call the Chinese people "backwards" is asinine. First off, the "people" did not make this policy - the government did.

The Chinese are a remarkable people - they taught the rest of the world how to do business - they are the smartest business people on the face of the planet.

China is a wondrous country - steeped in traditions that some cannot understand nor refuse to learn about.

The Chinese are not "backward" - those that say differently are not intelligent IMO

Old 08-10-2008, 10:15 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
While I might not agree with this particular policy, to call the Chinese people "backwards" is asinine. First off, the "people" did not make this policy - the government did.

The Chinese are a remarkable people - they taught the rest of the world how to do business - they are the smartest business people on the face of the planet.

China is a wondrous country - steeped in traditions that some cannot understand nor refuse to learn about.

The Chinese are not "backward" - those that say differently are not intelligent IMO
Most ot the time I agree with you but not with the "China has taught the rest of the world how to do business" They just have a lot of cheap labor and can undercut the rest of the world on pricing...nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies