Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times

Advertisements

As long as the school is banning ALL symbols/emblems/etc that are deemed offensive, I guess thats okay.

He should wear something with the first flag of the Confederate States and see if anyone even knows what it is. I doubt anyone would recognize it as such. Most people just jump on bandwagons to villify something and turn it into a larger than life issue, which then makes others want to display it/promote it out of spite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
He has to do what the school tells him to do as far as what he is wearing. However I have another question. I know its not everyone in the southern USA, but it is a large number that give the impression and need to make a decision. The decision is are you a southerner or are you an american from the southern USA. I say this because there seems to be some difference of opinion of the true meaning to the defintion of the word. Actually it seems to be getting more and more pronounced as we go thru time now. Personally I feel that someday in our history the southern USA or some of its states will decide not to be part of the USA.
I think it's more complicated than that. I don't want to get off into a debate on the flag, but it means a variety of things to people. It doesn't mean that the person with it wants to secede from the USA. In fact, the South is made up of many people that would consider themselves very patriotic and have a desire to serve the country - the USA.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:19 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with it being challenged. However, as long as it's the current rule, expect to be sent home if you violate it. You can also challenge it without initially breaking it.
Well, you know how crazy republican tennessans are.LOL.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:22 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,145,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I think it's more complicated than that. I don't want to get off into a debate on the flag, but it means a variety of things to people. It doesn't mean that the person with it wants to secede from the USA. In fact, the South is made up of many people that would consider themselves very patriotic and have a desire to serve the country - the USA.
I wouldn't have a problem with it myself but kids always want to go each other "one better". If one can wear a confederate flag, another will consider that it protects his right to wear a "swatiska". Then what?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:23 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,664,598 times
If it were a private school, they could put any restrictions they wanted on what he wears. But if it's a public school, as in government-funded, then the First Amendment issue definitely comes into play. As distasteful as I think his desire to wear the Confederate flag is, I do think he has a point.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:29 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with it myself but kids always want to go each other "one better". If one can wear a confederate flag, another will consider that it protects his right to wear a "swatiska". Then what?
I don't have a problem with them telling him not to wear it. I think the dress codes are pretty lenient, and as long as they're equal, I'm fine with it.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:31 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
If it were a private school, they could put any restrictions they wanted on what he wears. But if it's a public school, as in government-funded, then the First Amendment issue definitely comes into play. As distasteful as I think his desire to wear the Confederate flag is, I do think he has a point.
A point that....he can wear that confederate flag stuff just b/c he's attending a public school. You mean to tell me that public school draft regulations based on what the constitution says. Lets carry guns to public schools then.....part of the amendment, isn't it?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:35 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,853,502 times
no, let's not carry guns in public schools. why would we ever want to do that?

http://fonzation.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/virginia%20tech%20shooting.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
A point that....he can wear that confederate flag stuff just b/c he's attending a public school. You mean to tell me that public school draft regulations based on what the constitution says. Lets carry guns to public schools then.....part of the amendment, isn't it?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:45 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
no, let's not carry guns in public schools. why would we ever want to do that?

http://fonzation.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/virginia%20tech%20shooting.jpg (broken link)

Cause the constitution doesn't specify if we're not allowed to carry guns to schools.......lets go ahead and do that since we can wear confederate flagged t-shirts too

Old 08-14-2008, 10:53 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,853,502 times
no, no. lets make it illegal to carry guns to school, then people like this who choose to not follow the law, can kill 30 people. EXCELLENT logic. oh, and you have a problem with someone wearing a confederate flag t-shirt to school? give me a freaking break. unless they have a dress code, and in this case, wasn't it a belt buckle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Cause the constitution doesn't specify if we're not allowed to carry guns to schools.......lets go ahead and do that since we can wear confederate flagged t-shirts too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies