Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 08:55 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,720,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
Most unions only invest in union companies and far as your poker game with your boss? no union =you got less so the rich gets more!the republican way! jeez.''we need to cut your pay ;maxwell is unhappy with his rerturns ...yea I see lots of irony!
You'd classify me as rich... making multiple times the average household income. But I'm not asking for anyone to shed tears, but to look beyond immediate income and look to the future. It's not unreasonable to think that if union workers in Detroit weren't obscenely overpaid that there would be little value in moving their jobs over the border.

I never faced a pay cut... I was merely suggesting that it would be acceptable to me, in lieu of competing with my coworkers for the remaining jobs in the marketplace.

Now if I was in a union job, I am certain that my job would have been offshored already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 09:16 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,913,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
You'd classify me as rich... making multiple times the average household income. But I'm not asking for anyone to shed tears, but to look beyond immediate income and look to the future. It's not unreasonable to think that if union workers in Detroit weren't obscenely overpaid that there would be little value in moving their jobs over the border.

I never faced a pay cut... I was merely suggesting that it would be acceptable to me, in lieu of competing with my coworkers for the remaining jobs in the marketplace.

Now if I was in a union job, I am certain that my job would have been offshored already.
What came first the chicken or the egg?? is it gm was overpaid or foriegn car workers underpaid??It is tough when you have to compete with most countries,Also nafta helped! It should mean national FAIR trade agreement..

Old 09-04-2008, 10:30 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,782,920 times
Quote:

Ok, twojciac, its time for me to punch the time clock again (ca cluck)

Ok so please explain why we need jobs that don't pay us enough to pay our bills and be comfortable in life. If the Auto Industry cant make it here with out Raping our workers, then its better for everyone involved that they go over seas. Im not taking a pay-cut....I might agree not to take a pay-raise, but it all depends on weather I can survive the request. If an employer wants me to work for slave wages (and I never will) then I will put on my old military boots and help kick their ass over to china. Let the anti American lazafare capitalist become communist bastards. If someone will work for .80 cents a day more power to em. (spit)

Old 09-04-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You're quite wrong, sberdrow. If you have to, go back and read through all my posts in this thread with an objective mind. I've done no such thing, and your misrepresentation of my position is not only insulting to me, but it reduces your credibility as well.
My credibility is just fine actually, thank you. You should relax a little though, as I have taken hit after hit for hundreds of posts and I just offer up my calm opinion. Its my opinion after ready over 50 of your posts that you are in favor of slave wages. You are probably against the min wage, and you disaprove of any worker getting union representation under Any circumstances. Your more than welcome to restate your opinion, as it was probalby stated 300 posts ago or so. Im not looking to attack of flame you. I actually appreciate your opinions, don't agree with them, but Im glad your here anyway and giving the other side.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:46 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,847,419 times
They reward slackers the same as hard workers.
One of the worst examples is teachers unions. Over the years I have become familiar with some horrific teachers in MA, K-12. Not only is it impossible to fire a teacher but these horrific teachers get the exact same raise as the superb teachers.
It doesn't matter that it is our children who will suffer.
Another issue is that the unions have guaranteed that these people will be able to retire with full pay and benefits after only 20 years of creditable service.
Work from 25 to 45 and retire! We taxpayers will take care of you for the rest of your life.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,720,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Ok, twojciac, its time for me to punch the time clock again (ca cluck)

Ok so please explain why we need jobs that don't pay us enough to pay our bills and be comfortable in life. If the Auto Industry cant make it here with out Raping our workers, then its better for everyone involved that they go over seas. Im not taking a pay-cut....I might agree not to take a pay-raise, but it all depends on weather I can survive the request. If an employer wants me to work for slave wages (and I never will) then I will put on my old military boots and help kick their ass over to china. Let the anti American lazafare capitalist become communist bastards. If someone will work for .80 cents a day more power to em. (spit)
Your bills are irrelevant in the equation. Your work output and the ease in which you can be replaced are the only things that matter. If you choose to purchase items which you can not afford, it's not the fault of your employer or your neighbor... it is yours alone.

The auto industry has proven that it can work here... look no further than Toyota. The funny thing is...it's a non-union plant.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Your bills are irrelevant in the equation. Your work output and the ease in which you can be replaced are the only things that matter. If you choose to purchase items which you can not afford, it's not the fault of your employer or your neighbor... it is yours alone.

The auto industry has proven that it can work here... look no further than Toyota. The funny thing is...it's a non-union plant.
Its just a matter of time before they are packing up and leaving. Even a non union worker is going to demand higher pay than Toyota could get in a 3rd world country.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:16 AM

68,342 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:

Why is there reason to believe that moving the jobs of obscenely overpaid upper managment overseas wouldn't have great value?

People can rant about unions all they want, no doubt unions were guilty of much wrongdoing in their heyday but these days CEOs and their ilk have reached levels of greed and prceived entitlement that NO union leader ever even dreamed of.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:32 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,913,505 times
Nobody likes it when the blue collar smuck wants more,but its o.k for white collar to drive this country into a banking,stock fraud,greed driven,hole that lawyers rule and destroyed!! Trust me Its costing us alot more what they do and dont do than billy the tire guy at GM who want a 3 buck raise!!!!!

Old 09-04-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
Nobody likes it when the blue collar smuck wants more,but its o.k for white collar to drive this country into a banking,stock fraud,greed driven,hole that lawyers rule and destroyed!! Trust me Its costing us a lot more what they do and don't do than billy the tire guy at GM who want a 3 buck raise!!!!!
the circuit city story is a good example, they have fired the higher paying commission workers about 4 years ago. That took all the electronic experts away to other jobs, and left the semi good ones left on an hourly wage. People really noticed the quality difference stopped going there. Later they fired the folks making 10 dollars an hour, and left only folks making around 7 dollars an hour, which left absolutely no one to give any quality service, and no Circuit City is about to go belly up. Meanwhile, the management at the regional and corporate level is getting retention pay worth hundreds of millions of dollars. 2 corporate managers make more that the entire staff of circuit city back in the day when they were on commission. They received NO CUTS.

Best buy, at least has kept the good HOURLY wages, not great, but then again, you cant expect much from that smurf convention. Gone are the days of great service, and knowledgeable employees in electronics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies