Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,326,104 times

Advertisements

New rules many overturn this California court decision -

New rules proposed to protect anti-abortion doctors - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/21/abortion.doctors.ap/index.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 05:45 PM

193 posts, read 814,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
New rules many overturn this California court decision -

New rules proposed to protect anti-abortion doctors - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/08/21/abortion.doctors.ap/index.html - broken link)
That's really funny that they say this is not about contraception, but abortion, since a good amount of female contraceptives work by effectively aborting if an egg happens to get fertilized. So these doctors I guess don't have a problem with an abortion a few days into the game, just when several months have gone by. I'm pro-choice, though for myself if it came down to it I would most likely be pro-life, and I find that waffling about quite silly. Maybe the doctors don't know how most of those contraceptives work?

Old 08-21-2008, 07:04 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,877,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
First I'd like to to see documentation that these things actually happen. I'm prepared to accept that Muslims pray at work. That is privately practicing their religion which is of course fine. We don't fire anyone for privately praying.
first of all, your exact words.

Quote:
If you want to practice your religion at work, become a priest not a doctor.
you said if you want to practice your religion at work, become a priest. you then said you are ok if muslims pray at work. which is it? you are either for it, or against it. no need to really answer, because I know the mindset of the far left. it's only ok if it is a religion that doesn't believe in jesus. you need documentation, open a paper. you want proof, go to the airport in minneapolis. some muslims have to pray as much as 5 times at work, well, you don't get 5 breaks, so they have to give them special treatment. you can't wear head scarves around machinery because of safety, well you are going to get a lawsuit. use google, the information is more than available.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:29 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,176,514 times
Sheesh, everything has to be some big political thing anymore.

So some doctors were not comfortable with a unique procedure, thats fine, the couple could go to another doctor instead of trying to force the ones with the objection to do something they don't want to do.

This is America after all.

Our shop says that we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, and if some idiot comes in demanding we do this or that, we can tell 'em to go pound sand and show 'em the door.

I'm sick of people that demand that other people accept what they do or shove their lifestyles down other peoples throats. Some people really need to get over themselves and realize the world doesn't revolve around them.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,082,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
first of all, your exact words.

you said if you want to practice your religion at work, become a priest. you then said you are ok if muslims pray at work. which is it? you are either for it, or against it. no need to really answer, because I know the mindset of the far left. it's only ok if it is a religion that doesn't believe in jesus. you need documentation, open a paper. you want proof, go to the airport in minneapolis. some muslims have to pray as much as 5 times at work, well, you don't get 5 breaks, so they have to give them special treatment. you can't wear head scarves around machinery because of safety, well you are going to get a lawsuit. use google, the information is more than available.
Quietly praying at work affects no one. Allowing your religious beliefs to shape medical care is the problem. At a minimum it's a violation of a doctors medical oath.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:47 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,928,455 times
after reading all these postings.. i was wondering the same thing... doctors do take an oath upon practicing...

If you are not in the business for serving the healthcare needs of the public.. the entire public.. you should not have a medical license issued by the state...
saying you won't treat gay people is like saying you won't treat blacks or hispanics or asians...
If you can't own up to the job description... time for a new job...
thats like a mormon working at starbucks and refusing to serve coffee
people who think they are able to impose their personal beliefs upon others in the context of their profession when it is licensed by the state should have their license to practice stripped from them...
If you cannot conduct your licensed medical practice in accordance with the law... your license should be revoked
I am a teacher and am held to the same standards with my license... in a wonderful world I could just spout what I believe to all my students and make them learn only what I see fit to learn....ridiculous

Last edited by boiseguy; 08-27-2008 at 04:57 AM..

Old 08-27-2008, 05:18 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,069,768 times
What's a healthcare need, and what is a whim?

I'm not sure people have a "right" to children, anyways. Somebody needs to explain how that is a right. It seems to me raising children is a responsibility and privilege, not a right.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:24 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,928,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
What's a healthcare need, and what is a whim?

I'm not sure people have a "right" to children, anyways. Somebody needs to explain how that is a right. It seems to me raising children is a responsibility and privilege, not a right.
isn't it a right of all living creatures?? correct me if I'm wrong.. but everyone has reproductive organs.. therefore you have the right to go use them... u can either get busy with someone of the opposite sex and get knocked up.. or you and your partner.. (same sex or opposite sex) can go and have your reproductive organs enabled at a clinic to get knocked up thanks to modern science... everyone has a right to children... its a matter of who we think deserves that right... you can always go to china and the governemnt will tell you you can only have one....
that clear things up for ya?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:39 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,069,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
everyone has a right to children... its a matter of who we think deserves that right... you can always go to china and the governemnt will tell you you can only have one....
that clear things up for ya?
Really... so if I have a right to have children, how do I exercise that right? I'm a male. Is it OK to go rape somebody to exercise that right? That sounds absurb but how can this right be expressed?

My point is thus: the suppossed "right" to have children is dependent on interconnected social relationships, not some kind of absolute. What about this doctor's right to follow his conscience? 50 years ago nobody would be arguing about the "right" for two lesbians to have children, it was impossible to do without a man being involved.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:20 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,382,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
50 years ago nobody would be arguing about the "right" for two lesbians to have children, it was impossible to do without a man being involved.
Thus is the "progressive" side dissected for the mechanistic parody of humanity which is its goal.

Reps to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies