Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:37 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,649,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Hey, I am a Catholic who is "appalled" by the sex scandals of priests with kids & think the topic is very important to discuss. That doesn't mean I am a lax Christian but rather more Christian for wanting all people to be given respect & not be judged by someone who claims to follow Christ.
But back to the point, is "Religous Nutcase Docs Told to DO YOUR JOB!" an appropriate title for a thread on a board tha supposedly does not allow insults towards groups of people?

What about posting a thread titled:

Stupid Mexicans Ruining California and Need to Leave!

Should the fact that stupid Mexicans exist make it okay to lay out a blanket statement towards a group? Doesn't make sense considering the majority of them are decent people, and there are plenty of stupid non-Mexican people in California.

The topic could have been discussed without injecting hate into the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 09:38 PM

193 posts, read 814,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Why stop at 2? Wouldn't 3 be even better and 4 twice as good?

And now, please explain why "2" is a magic number that is best for a child, and why not three/four/five/etc.
Not at all, 2 is certainly not the magic number, 3 or 4 works fine too. Plenty of extended families live together in the world, though it's often the result of financial situations & culture in general, but certainly these children benefit from having other members of their family living with them. And then of course you have your other types of extended families, triads and onwards, plenty of these families are raising happy, healthy, well balanced children.

I mentioned that I believe 2 is better than 1 (perhaps better to say more than one is better ), and I also mentioned that it is not so much related directly to the child's upbringing. To me it's more of a support to the parents, emotional, financial, and so forth. This in turn obviously has good benefits for a child, such as having more time with their parents, parents having some stress items significantly decreased, parents having a partner(s) they can share things with, etc.

Ah male and female characteristics, but you don't name any? Ah well, I can google. Hasn't it been fairly well shown already that gender and sex are not the same thing? Ever heard of the third gender? Now that's an interesting can of worms.

I think we've hijacked this thread enough though, don't you think?

To the OP, a professional should not allow their personal beliefs to cloud their line of work. Most people who have strong religious views that may effect their work usually choose to find work that is in line with their beliefs. For example a Seventh Day Adventist would not work at a store where they would need to sell alcohol and tobacco.

Why is it that it's almost always Christians that pop up in the news refusing to do their job because of their beliefs? Why don't we see as many (if any) Muslims, Jewish, Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, Taoists, or others doing the same? Is it because they aren't as devoted to their beliefs as Christians? Or maybe it's just that they see that they shouldn't be allowing their personal beliefs to get involved with their professional life, and if they have any big no-no's they choose a job that doesn't involve it?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:52 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,649,641 times
Yeah, those darn Christians trying to keep their right to freedom of religion! What in the world is their problem?

Again, what is lost here is that this couple was in no way whatsoever in ANY DANGER by not having the doctors do what they wanted. It was a private practice, and the doctors were more than happy to guide them to someone else who would help them. Why then, must these lesbians force doctors to do something they didn't want when they had the option of working with docs who did want to help them? I guarantee you, if I went into ANY doc for ANYTHING and they didn't want to do it, I would not want them working on me at all.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:59 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,686,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
But back to the point, is "Religous Nutcase Docs Told to DO YOUR JOB!" an appropriate title for a thread on a board tha supposedly does not allow insults towards groups of people?

Should the fact that stupid Mexicans exist make it okay to lay out a blanket statement towards a group? Doesn't make sense considering the majority of them are decent people, and there are plenty of stupid non-Mexican people in California.

Tolerance extending to someone you disagree with? Why, perish the thought! INdeed, dare to disagree and that means you hate.

This forum is like being in Berkeley all over again. Hilarious.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:08 PM

193 posts, read 814,168 times
Quote:
Yeah, those darn Christians trying to keep their right to freedom of religion! What in the world is their problem?

Again, what is lost here is that this couple was in no way whatsoever in ANY DANGER by not having the doctors do what they wanted. It was a private practice, and the doctors were more than happy to guide them to someone else who would help them. Why then, must these lesbians force doctors to do something they didn't want when they had the option of working with docs who did want to help them? I guarantee you, if I went into ANY doc for ANYTHING and they didn't want to do it, I would not want them working on me at all.
I see your point. I just wonder if it's truly religious freedom we're talking about as opposed to general discrimination. Would you feel the same if it was a heterosexual couple of different races and the doctor happily pointed them to a doctor that could help them because this doctor believed interracial breeding went against their personal beliefs?

I agree though, personally I would not want to be served by a professional who didn't want to serve me due to conflicting beliefs, I just don't think a professional should allow that negative viewpoint to come into their practice. If it's something they're going to run into then it they should take proactive measures to avoid them.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,630,921 times
Quote:
But back to the point, is "Religous Nutcase Docs Told to DO YOUR JOB!" an appropriate title for a thread on a board tha supposedly does not allow insults toward groups of people?

The issue is professional expectations and a system of commerce that separates religious life from business. Our nation is diverse like it has never been, so the courts define unconstitutional practices [ie corporate fraud\negligence or inequality to patients]. So if these doctors want to impose discrimination they are now facing judicial action by having their license to practice denied.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:36 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,077,957 times
Quote:
The issue is professional expectations and a system of commerce that separates religious life from business. Our nation is diverse like it has never been, so the courts define unconstitutional practices [ie corporate fraud\negligence or inequality to patients]. So if these doctors want to impose discrimination they are now facing judicial action by having their license to practice denied.
Really? Separation of Church and State is enough of a stretch but now separation of Church and Business?? I hadn't heard of that.

This medical practice choose to treat married women only, no special constitutional protections are afforded single women seeking infertility treatments, lesbian or not.

Wow...I better keep up because the Constitution becomes more and more fluid every day around here.....

Old 08-20-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Really? Separation of Church and State is enough of a stretch but now separation of Church and Business?? I hadn't heard of that.

This medical practice choose to treat married women only, no special constitutional protections are afforded single women seeking infertility treatments, lesbian or not.

Wow...I better keep up because the Constitution becomes more and more fluid every day around here.....
What's the difference between this case & restaurants in the South who, in the past, refused service to Afro-Americans?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:41 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,077,957 times
Quote:
What's the difference between this case & restaurants in the South who, in the past, refused service to Afro-Americans?
Race....

Old 08-20-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Race....
So race trumps sexual orientation? How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies