Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 06:34 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,691,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
Yes, I think that the majority of problems relating to children of single parents (behavior, education, etc.) is due to financial strains and lack of support, and I will add that not all children of single parents with these strains end up having any issues in these areas. I do not think these issues are related to a child not having a "mother" or "father" present. So on that note, single people who have chosen to adopt or to have a child through other means, usually have these resources in place (finances, support system of some sort, etc) as opposed to single parent who is a product of divorce, death, or unplanned pregnancy (who may or may not have these resources available to them).

I do think that two parents can often be better than one (notice I say parent, rather than mom and dad), but not because a child needs 2 parents for their wellbeing. Do I think a mommy or a daddy has a unique relationship with their child that the other doesn't provide? No, I don't. I think this is simply a result of gender roles that have been established in our culture. I think that a woman or a male can provide the elements of both of these roles for their children, and if there are two same sex parents, then perhaps they each lean towards one of these roles themselves, not to mention there are nuclear families that seem to have their roles switched or combined. I do not think a person's plumbing has anything to do with how they parent.

But I would like to know what you think a mother and father each contribute separately .
Why stop at 2? Wouldn't 3 be even better and 4 twice as good? I think a mommy and daddy offer unique contributions based on the hard wired nature of their gender, and provide a balanced input of male/female characteristics. Oh gosh, did I just say that? How politically incorrect of me to say that gender has more to do with a human than just having a penis or a vagina.

And now, please explain why "2" is a magic number that is best for a child, and why not three/four/five/etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Because if there is anything we learned lately from Mr. Phelps with his 8 gold medals...

You have to have a father to be successful.

That he persevered in spite of having a crappy relationship with his Dad is impressive, but I would be more interested in the thousands of children who never had a chance to have a father and if they think given a choice they would have liked to have one.

But who cares what the kids want? It's all about the me-me-me agenda of the parent.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:56 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,392,980 times
I think a Doctor in a private practic should be able to refuse treatment to whomever he/she chooses as long as it's non emergancy. I would rather know the doctor did not want to treat me rather than he/she being forced to do so.
I don't think it's the courts buisness.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:26 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,822,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Why stop at 2? Wouldn't 3 be even better and 4 twice as good? I think a mommy and daddy offer unique contributions based on the hard wired nature of their gender, and provide a balanced input of male/female characteristics. Oh gosh, did I just say that? How politically incorrect of me to say that gender has more to do with a human than just having a penis or a vagina.

And now, please explain why "2" is a magic number that is best for a child, and why not three/four/five/etc.
So what if we had a dad that was pretty "efiminate" and a mom who was pretty "masculine"? You'd be okay with that simply because the child had a mom and a dad or male and female influences?

I plan on having children with my future partner and I'm not going to go out of my way to provide male role models but I won't go out of my way to not provide them. They will just simply be there. They will encounter males at school, in public, etc.

Maybe something in your life made you feel you missed out on having a good heterosexual upbringing but I on the other hand know plenty of kids raised by same sex parents that are perfectly happy with their parents and their family.

If having a mom and dad were simpy enough to produce happy, well adjusted adults...our country would certainly be much better than it is today but uhm...as many reputable organizations have concluded, simply having a mother and father will not gurantee a well adjusted child. It's all about the quality of parents, not their gender or sexual orientation.

Last edited by PurpleLove08; 08-20-2008 at 08:35 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 PM

6,760 posts, read 11,655,918 times
I just can't help but wonder why the moderators allow insulting posts and titles when it about religion. I mean, come on, disagree with the docs if you like. But the hatred that oozes from some of the anti-Christian posters in this thread is no different than racism, sexism, bigotry, etc.

I mean, how well would it go over with the mods if I started a thread titled:

Stupid Slow Asian Driver's in the Fast Lane Cause Pile Up on Freeway

or how about:

Ignorant Religous Freak Gets Head Towel Caught in Fan Blades

Would that be allowable?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:14 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,638,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I just can't help but wonder why the moderators allow insulting posts and titles when it about religion. I mean, come on, disagree with the docs if you like. But the hatred that oozes from some of the anti-Christian posters in this thread is no different than racism, sexism, bigotry, etc.

I mean, how well would it go over with the mods if I started a thread titled:

Stupid Slow Asian Driver's in the Fast Lane Cause Pile Up on Freeway
or how about:

Ignorant Religous Freak Gets Head Towel Caught in Fan Blades
Would that be allowable?

You must live in Los Angeles [avoid heavily Asian areas at all costs if you are in a hurry! Also that head towel in the fan blades would be a great topic if everyone could stop laughing.

Please don't think that those who strongly support human rights for everyone are anti-Christian. As a Christian I am appalled by what people proclaim in the name of God & impose their actual anti-Christian behavior on others.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 PM

6,760 posts, read 11,655,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post

Please don't think that those who strongly support human rights for everyone are anti-Christian. As a Christian I am appalled by what people proclaim in the name of God & impose their actual anti-Christian behavior on others.
I too am appalled by a lot of what is paraded as Christianity when in reality it is nothing more than wolves in sheep's clothing. But that doesn't make it okay for stereotyping and hateful words to be spoken on a board if they are not to be allowed towards others. While I realize it really impossible to keep all discussions in this particular section on an intelligent level that is based on facts or thoughtful discussions, I think it should at least be a standard that bashing is not acceptable, especially when a thread title is as loaded as this one. Funny thing is that it is so common that no one even says much.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,638,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I too am appalled by a lot of what is paraded as Christianity when in reality it is nothing more than wolves in sheep's clothing. But that doesn't make it okay for stereotyping and hateful words to be spoken on a board if they are not to be allowed towards others. While I realize it really impossible to keep all discussions in this particular section on an intelligent level that is based on facts or thoughtful discussions, I think it should at least be a standard that bashing is not acceptable, especially when a thread title is as loaded as this one. Funny thing is that it is so common that no one even says much.
Hey, I am a Catholic who is "appalled" by the sex scandals of priests with kids & think the topic is very important to discuss. That doesn't mean I am a lax Christian but rather more Christian for wanting all people to be given respect & not be judged by someone who claims to follow Christ.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
So what if we had a dad that was pretty "efiminate" and a mom who was pretty "masculine"? You'd be okay with that simply because the child had a mom and a dad or male and female influences?

I plan on having children with my future partner and I'm not going to go out of my way to provide male role models but I won't go out of my way to not provide them. They will just simply be there. They will encounter males at school, in public, etc.

Maybe something in your life made you feel you missed out on having a good heterosexual upbringing but I on the other hand know plenty of kids raised by same sex parents that are perfectly happy with their parents and their family.

If having a mom and dad were simpy enough to produce happy, well adjusted adults...our country would certainly be much better than it is today but uhm...as many reputable organizations have concluded, simply having a mother and father will not gurantee a well adjusted child. It's all about the quality of parents, not their gender or sexual orientation.

Deligitimizing the importance of fatherhood and pretending gender is an artificial construct is all about a political and social agenda and has nothing to do with the best interest of a child.

Nobody ever claimed simply having a mom and dad guarantees a good upbringing. Nice straw man argument but not really relevant to anything.

I appreciate the importance of anecdotal evidence as you lay forth, but I'm confident the majority of children raised without a father (or a mother for that matter) will candidly tell you they wish they had one. That you think a child will be just as happy "encountering males" while out and about as he/she would be if they actually had their very own Daddy is nothing short of tragic.

I beg you, please, share these views as widely as you can in the public arena. Make sure the politicians beholden to your money and your vote trumpet them as well.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,259,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
That he persevered in spite of having a crappy relationship with his Dad is impressive, but I would be more interested in the thousands of children who never had a chance to have a father and if they think given a choice they would have liked to have one.

But who cares what the kids want? It's all about the me-me-me agenda of the parent.
They can have my birth father that wasn't around if they want him.
Or they can have my adopted dad that hasn't been all that supportive of me ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies