Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:19 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,997,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If I want to go to a gay or lesbian doctor, I expect to be treated and not even asked whether I am gay or hedrosexual. It is not his damn business unless he suspects something unique to gays or hedros.
In a just society and a true free market, he as a merchant should be able to ask whatever he wants. Ironically, being too nosy would be a death sentence to a merchant.

See, capitalism works when allowed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,689,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Just to be clear, you would not be supportive of a woman who used the sperm of her dead husband in order to bring a child into this world, right?
Correct. As tragic as it is for a woman to lose her husband, it's just as tragic to consiciously choose to bring a child in to the world knowing he/she would not have a father.

Quote:
Also if a woman is giving birth and her husband recently died, you wouldn't want a doctor to help her in the labor and delivery of this child, right?
You seem intelligent enough to understand the difference between choosing to conceive a child without a father ever being in the picture and a child already conceived and growing in the womb when the father passes. Please don't insult yourself with such a specious argument like you make above here.

Quote:
OR if a single woman wants to have her own child, you would be against this as well, right?
Correct. This really shouldn't be so hard to understand. A child's right to a mommy and daddy (or at least to not have the choice made to bring him in to the world before conception knowing the baby won't have one or the other) trumps a single woman's right to have a kid just because she wants one. Parenthood should be about the child, not the selfish wants of an adult.

Quote:
I think a doctor is free to discriminate all he or she wants provided they aren't treating Medicare, medicaid, etc patients. If he or she is operating their own clinic/practice/hospital that isn't receiving tax dollars, they can be as homophobic,racist, agist, etc as they want. Just put a sign up so I'll know not to give them my time or money.
There is no constitutional right to elective medical procedures. That one does not believe two mommies or two daddies is the same thing as a mommy and a daddy does not make one hateful, homophobic or whatever. Plenty of us out there have a live and let live attitude, adults can do what they want with each other. But when you start playing games with kids like this, well this is where alot of us draw the line.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:21 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,817,749 times
Quote:
If I want to go to a gay or lesbian doctor, I expect to be treated and not even asked whether I am gay or hedrosexual. It is not his damn business unless he suspects something unique to gays or hedros.
That's cool as well, I'm just saying I personally would be more comfortable with a doctor that can relate to me better.
I wasn't implying the gay or lesbian doctor would ask you about your sexual orientation but I just know I personally would LOVE to have a lesbian doctor but...eh, that's just me. To each their own.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Correct. As tragic as it is for a woman to lose her husband, it's just as tragic to consiciously choose to bring a child in to the world knowing he/she would not have a father.

You seem intelligent enough to understand the difference between choosing to conceive a child without a father ever being in the picture and a child already conceived and growing in the womb when the father passes. Please don't insult yourself with such a specious argument like you make above here.

Correct. This really shouldn't be so hard to understand. A child's right to a mommy and daddy (or at least to not have the choice made to bring him in to the world before conception knowing the baby won't have one or the other) trumps a single woman's right to have a kid just because she wants one. Parenthood should be about the child, not the selfish wants of an adult.

There is no constitutional right to elective medical procedures. That one does not believe two mommies or two daddies is the same thing as a mommy and a daddy does not make one hateful, homophobic or whatever. Plenty of us out there have a live and let live attitude, adults can do what they want with each other. But when you start playing games with kids like this, well this is where alot of us draw the line.

I was just trying to make sure you didn't just have it in for gays and lesbian who want to bring children into the world. It wasn't necessarily hard for me to understand but I just wanted to make sure that you just didn't want gays and lesbians to not be able to bring a child into the world or what. No need to be rude. I pretty much label anyone who doesn't want to allow same-sex couple to raise children as hateful and homophobic. It's just my personal opinion and oh well. It doesn't mean I necessarily hate you (most days I try not to give my thoughts to these kind of people). People can disagree with it all they want but when that disagreement turns to action such as petitioning for same sex couples to not be allow to adopt children or be allowed to have access to fertility treatments..eh, then it's not so cool with me.

In my opinion I see nothing wrong same sex couples raising children. I know plent of kids raised by two moms or two dads and they are just fine, just like I know kids raised by a mom and a dad and they are pretty screwed up. I don't think sexual orientation determines whether or not you will make a good parent or not.

The American Academy of Pediatrics' Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health issued a report in 2002, the most recent comprehensive review of gay-parenting studies. It found no meaningful differences between children raised by gay parents and those raised by heterosexual parents.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:34 PM

23,860 posts, read 24,190,432 times
Quote:
That's essentially what I am saying, if you have your own private business, you can discriminate. Just have a little message or disclaimer, "This business/clinic/hospital only accepts Christian caucasian heterosexual patients only" or whatever group you want to have.
Unfortunately, that's not necessarily the case (but it should be - even without the sign).

Quote:
...a California court decided that a restaurant owner could not refuse to seat a gay couple in a semi-private booth where its policy was to only seat two people of the opposite sex in such booths. There was no legitimate business reason for the refusal of service, and so the discrimination was arbitrary and unlawful.
Lame.

The Right to Refuse Service: Can a business refuse service to Someone because of appearance, odor or attitude?

(Before the flame wars start, let me just say that I think it's silly to discriminate against people for such reasons - it's bad business, bad PR and you're stupid for turning away paying customers for such reasons. I believe that the decision should rest with the business owner, however. If they want to hurt their business, that's their prerogative.)

Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,824,623 times
Quote:
That's cool as well, I'm just saying I personally would be more comfortable with a doctor that can relate to me better.
I wasn't implying the gay or lesbian doctor would ask you about your sexual orientation but I just know I personally would LOVE to have a lesbian doctor but...eh, that's just me. To each their own.
I actually suspect my dentist is gay but I never asked him and won't. It is just the way he talks and that he has no wife or kids (that I did ask him in a roundabout way).

Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 PM

23,860 posts, read 24,190,432 times
Quote:
I actually suspect my dentist is gay but I never asked him and won't. It is just the way he talks and that he has no wife or kids (that I did ask him in a roundabout way).
I have no wife or kids. Does that make me gay?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Ha. I'm pretty sure my doctor and dentist are straight.

Last edited by PurpleLove08; 08-19-2008 at 09:52 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 10:15 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,634,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
ONe of the reasons I am glad I left California. A doctor should not be forced to help bring a child in to the world that intentionally will be denied a father.
We are glad you left California & can only hope the bigot doctors follow you to Texas so they can avoid the law for a few more years. Your hatred & fear continue to lose credibility except in some radical evangelical Republican asylums [that are getting smaller by the day]. You are on the wrong side of history but we all know that already [when will you accept defeat, yahoo?

Old 08-20-2008, 05:33 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,689,326 times
Quote:
I was just trying to make sure you didn't just have it in for gays and lesbian who want to bring children into the world. It wasn't necessarily hard for me to understand but I just wanted to make sure that you just didn't want gays and lesbians to not be able to bring a child into the world or what. No need to be rude. I pretty much label anyone who doesn't want to allow same-sex couple to raise children as hateful and homophobic. It's just my personal opinion and oh well. It doesn't mean I necessarily hate you (most days I try not to give my thoughts to these kind of people). People can disagree with it all they want but when that disagreement turns to action such as petitioning for same sex couples to not be allow to adopt children or be allowed to have access to fertility treatments..eh, then it's not so cool with me.

In my opinion I see nothing wrong same sex couples raising children. I know plent of kids raised by two moms or two dads and they are just fine, just like I know kids raised by a mom and a dad and they are pretty screwed up. I don't think sexual orientation determines whether or not you will make a good parent or not.

The American Academy of Pediatrics' Committee on Psychosocial Aspects of Child and Family Health issued a report in 2002, the most recent comprehensive review of gay-parenting studies. It found no meaningful differences between children raised by gay parents and those raised by heterosexual parents.

I don't want anybody intentionally bringing a child in to the world without a mother and a father. I am not a homophobe, as I stated in an earlier posy it's of very little interest to me what adults do with other adults. At the same time, the idea that a mother and father do not have unique, seperate and equally important traits that lend themselves to raising a healthy child is ludicrous. Why stop at two mommies or two daddies? Wouldn't three be better? How about four?

A family with a mother and father raising the child affords the child the greatest chance at a stabel, healthy life. That this may hurt the feelings of gays, lesbians, singles, etc. is of no relevance. Again as I stated in an earlier post, having a child is not about the selfish wants of adults, it's about the child and the child's best interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies