Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:08 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,368,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
It's wrong to criticize someone's downfall. If you think so about him it would be better to say nothing at all. .
Wow marks, I never thought you would defend gay people so much. You have so much open support for gay Teddy, I thought you hated gays. Or was it you do hate gays but adore hypocritical gay evangelical christian leaders who "openly" denouce homosexuality but are secretly gay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 10:39 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,334,287 times
Quote:
It's wrong to criticize someone's downfall. If you think so about him it would be better to say nothing at all. He can be forgiven IF he truly repents, and can turn away from is perverted sick sin of homosexuality, it is possible. We have no idea what God can do in the heart. One chooses to be gay, one chooses to be involved in this abominable lifestyle plain and simple.
Nope. I'll criticize Haggard all day, baby. Homosexuality is a sin according to the bible , but not in the real world. Noone chooses to be persecuted by intolerant and bigoted ppl b/c of their lifestyle.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:44 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
You are nicer than I am, hereinfla.

I see a narrow mind operating in a field of dying sun-flowers.

Gay is not a choice.

God may or may not have a heart! But if one is a true believer that he or she will remember that Jesus Christ forgave sin without judgment.

And if there is this special God, I find it not only improbable but impossible that he or she considers a life-style more abominable than the person who judges abomination.
First- I'm not that nice , but I just got back from church, so I'm just not as "not nice" as usual!

Second- I grew up with two aunts....I never even thought about their sexual preference. They lived together for about fifty years. It just wasn't a big deal to us. My son has two Big Brothers who have been together for several years (Big Brothers/Big Sisters) and visits them regularly for weekend visits.

Anyone who truly believes that being gay is a choice is just wrong and has never really known a gay person who was openly gay. But my hunch is that those who are so adamant about it are probably wrestling with their own inner conflict.

There is a great group- Christian Alliance for Progress- that is actually out of Jacksonville, although it is a national group, and it has really been a lifeline to me, as I struggle with this whacko fundamentalism around here.

There are many, many Christians that don't consider being gay a sin. I personally think the sin is being so deceptive as to marry a female when one is gay- a marriage founded on a lie to provide a cover for someone to then go on to be a preacher telling others- in God's name- that it is a sin to be gay.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:49 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,219,211 times
Default I think I've figured it out!!!

Maybe we are being too harsh in our judgment of Rev. Ted. Maybe it was his religious training, coupled with a learning disability that caused his sexual activites. Could it be that he is dyslexic and he misread the saying:

HATE THE SIN, BUT LOVE THE SINNER............

Old 02-11-2007, 10:50 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
Like Mr. Haggard, I have known others who profess and don't confess, so to speak. Such adamant refusal to understand or more importantly accept, can be a hiding from oneself--sometimes. It is also, often though, sheepish--not thinking but reciting words heard and not understood.

Hope church was fine this morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
First- I'm not that nice , but I just got back from church, so I'm just not as "not nice" as usual!

Second- I grew up with two aunts....I never even thought about their sexual preference. They lived together for about fifty years. It just wasn't a big deal to us. My son has two Big Brothers who have been together for several years (Big Brothers/Big Sisters) and visits them regularly for weekend visits.

Anyone who truly believes that being gay is a choice is just wrong and has never really known a gay person who was openly gay. But my hunch is that those who are so adamant about it are probably wrestling with their own inner conflict.

There is a great group- Christian Alliance for Progress- that is actually out of Jacksonville, although it is a national group, and it has really been a lifeline to me, as I struggle with this whacko fundamentalism around here.

There are many, many Christians that don't consider being gay a sin. I personally think the sin is being so deceptive as to marry a female when one is gay- a marriage founded on a lie to provide a cover for someone to then go on to be a preacher telling others- in God's name- that it is a sin to be gay.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:11 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Wow marks, I never thought you would defend gay people so much. You have so much open support for gay Teddy, I thought you hated gays. Or was it you do hate gays but adore hypocritical gay evangelical christian leaders who "openly" denouce homosexuality but are secretly gay?
I never said I supported him, you're saying that. I simply said one should not rejoice in anothers downfall (period).

I don't hate gay people. I never said I did. It is others assumption that I do.

I think you worry to much about what I think, madicarus.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:40 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,368,175 times
Quote:
I never said I supported him, you're saying that. I simply said one should not rejoice in anothers downfall (period).
Why not, you judge people all the time and display rejoice in proclaiming those who are gay are living an “abominable lifestyleâ€. Your standards are very visible, if Teddy said he was still gay, you would quote many passages from the bible saying how “wrong†he is, but since he says he’s straight, oh, we shouldn’t “rejoice†in his downfall.

Quote:
I don't hate gay people. I never said I did. It is others assumption that I do.
That’s right, you never actually said “hateâ€, my mistake, I made the assumption based on your prior statements when you referred to homosexuality as:

“abominable lifestyle; “it's still wrong, a perversion, and a blight on Americaâ€; “This sin is one of many that is the downfall of Americaâ€; “those of us that know homosexuality is condemned by Godâ€; “another attempt to push the evil agendaâ€.

I must not have interpreted those statements as a sign of respect or sincere affection for those who are gay. So does that mean you dont hate them or dont have any negative feelings towards them?

Quote:
I think you worry to much about what I think, madicarus.
I think you worry too much about trying to convert others to follow your beliefs instead of living by them.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:52 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOLOL... this story just made me laugh hysterically. Yeah, I'm sure one's "gayness" can be cured by 3 weeks of therapy! Are these evangelical wack-jobs really that delusional, or do they think we're idiots??
Yes, the LEADERS of these "evangelical" organizations really KNOW there are millions of idiots out here, and they bank on an even more vast subset of society to be apathetic. There are plenty of idiots out here who prove the wacko's right by sending money week and after week to keep the BIG idiots on TV selling their BS, lies and hatefulness.

Talking heads like Haggard, Dobson, Robertson, Falwell (aka The American Taliban Movement) have found a gold mine, telling people what they want to hear (gayness is wrong, marriage is "sacred") and the "faithful" do their part by lapping it up and shouting HALLELUJAH as they dump money in the pot to keep the hate-meisters on the air....

Make no mistake, the American Taliban wants to control this county like the other Taliban did in Afghanistan. They set up an organization in AZ, the Alliance Defense Fund, full of lawyers, and whose ONLY purpose is to align U.S. public law with THEIR idea of religious doctrine. This is more dangerous to us than Al Queda or Saddam Hussein ever could be...and we have a total sellout of a president who lets the American Taliban tell him (aka Rove) who to put on the Supreme Court. Beware this bunch. Behind their farce is true danger to our freedoms. Gay issues are a smokescreen they use to scare people into dumping more money into their ugly hands. Their end game goal is to turn America into an Evangelical Theocracy, as equally rigid as the Islamic Theocracy running Iran.

s/Mike

Old 02-11-2007, 11:56 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,656 times
Quote:
It's wrong to criticize someone's downfall. If you think so about him it would be better to say nothing at all. He can be forgiven IF he truly repents, and can turn away from is perverted sick sin of homosexuality, it is possible. We have no idea what God can do in the heart. One chooses to be gay, one chooses to be involved in this abominable lifestyle plain and simple.
First, it's not his sexuality, or his downfall, that I am "criticizing". I am simply pointing out another example of this man's rank hypocrisy. He had thousands of followers, and told them that homosexuality was an abomination, being homosexual all the while. And thousands more of the American ignoramati who aren't in this particular congregation latch on to this deceptive message, too. Now, after three weeks, he's claiming to do something that no one else in the history of mankind has ever done before- change his sexual orientation. He's a hypocrite who deserves to have that publicly pointed out every time his face is in the news for something like this.

Second, as I pointed out in another thread to another bigoted, ill-informed poster, being gay is NOT a choice. Only the willfully ignorant still believe that in the face of all the scientific evidence to the contrary. Did you choose to be straight? Would anyone "choose" to be gay knowing how many people like you there are who are more than willing to look down upon them and treat them as "abominations"?

Last edited by mb919; 02-11-2007 at 12:06 PM..

Old 02-11-2007, 11:56 AM

753 posts, read 759,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes, the LEADERS of these "evangelical" organizations really KNOW there are millions of idiots out here, and they bank on an even more vast subset of society to be apathetic. There are plenty of idiots out here who prove the wacko's right by sending money week and after week to keep the BIG idiots on TV selling their BS, lies and hatefulness.

Talking heads like Haggard, Dobson, Robertson, Falwell (aka The American Taliban Movement) have found a gold mine, telling people what they want to hear (gayness is wrong, marriage is "sacred") and the "faithful" do their part by lapping it up and shouting HALLELUJAH as they dump money in the pot to keep the hate-meisters on the air....

Make no mistake, the American Taliban wants to control this county like the other Taliban did in Afghanistan. They set up an organization in AZ, the Alliance Defense Fund, full of lawyers, and whose ONLY purpose is to align U.S. public law with THEIR idea of religious doctrine. This is more dangerous to us than Al Queda or Saddam Hussein ever could be...and we have a total sellout of a president who lets the American Taliban tell him (aka Rove) who to put on the Supreme Court. Beware this bunch. Behind their farce is true danger to our freedoms. Gay issues are a smokescreen they use to scare people into dumping more money into their ugly hands. Their end game goal is to turn America into an Evangelical Theocracy, as equally rigid as the Islamic Theocracy running Iran.

s/Mike
Don't disagree with you Mike, but if this is the line you can take in the forum what exactly is your role as moderator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies