Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 08:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times

Advertisements

Personally, I agree completely that those with higher incomes should help people who do not have as much. I also do not understand why people think this is the job of the government. The government is not there to solve everyone's problems, all they should do is provide us the freedom to help ourselves.

If you don't like where you are, work harder. I have a job as a computer analyst, and make a very comfortable salary. I called, emailed and sent letters to the HR department of my current employer for a year and a half (after initally telling me I didn't have the job) before they hired me. Now I work for a fortune 250 company that pays for 90% of graduate school. I am going to take classes at night to get an MBA. That means I am going to work a 45+ hours a week at my job, then spend 3-4 hours every night taking classes or studying. When I am done with all of that, I will most likely take in a high salary. Why should I be taxed more simply because I was persistant and worked to make something out of my life? Having differing tax rates for different incomes doesn't seem fair to me. Sure, some people are paid a lot for not that much work, but that isn't a justification. Work harder, work smarter, and instead of complaining, do what it takes to make more out of your life. The car I have now is rusting, has 135,000 miles, and is a POS. I am planning on driving it for at least 2 more years so I can pay off student loans a little faster. I have a friend who just bought a new car. When I pay off student loans years before him, and end up with more money, should I be taxed more because of it? Or should I just be allowed to have more money because of the choices I made?

Sorry for the rant, but this annoys me a little. Let me ask a question. Those in favor of this tax increase: would you support a law which says anyone making over $20,000/yr is legally required to give $2 to any homeless person they see begging on the side of the street?

I know this is an extreme example, but if the government is going to dictate how we spend our money, shouldn't those with more be legally required to give to people who don't have anything?

You can't rely on anyone else to make life easier for you, except yourself.

//gets off soapbox //
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 09:58 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Grow up and get the fact that a 2000 sq. ft house costs $300K in one state and $6000,000.00 in another . A 4000 sq for house may cost 400k in one state and $1.2M in another.

Get out of Smallville, once in a while, if you can.

I wouldn't have had 3 kids if I knew I couldn't provide for them. What's everyone elses excuse?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a7/United_States_Income_Distribution_1967-2003.svg/800px-United_States_Income_Distribution_1967-2003.svg.png (broken link)

Oh really, home prices vary according to location!?!? WOW, what a shocker. Refer to chart, "shut it", then grow up and whine about your "meager" income elsewhere.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:01 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,144,630 times
If taxes were to increase at 250,000, I'll just stay at $249,999.99. Thank you very much.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:41 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernFarmer View Post
I don't know where you got that garbage from. I most certainly believe that any income can be earned with enough work, that's been my point all along. I just don't believe that you earn over $250,000 per year, little liar.
Typical BS attitude of Republicans. I'm sure it makes you feel better about yourself to believe that a child born to a single teenage mother on welfare in a bad part of town has the same potential to become a millionaire as does the kid born into wealth who's handed a top notch education on a silver platter and groomed for corporate American from day one.

Of course it can be done - See Obama as an example - and anyone who manages to go from poverty to Harvard Law school is an amazing person. But he's the exception, not the typical case coming from poverty.

You also don't take into consideration each human's natural abilities. Not everyone is born an "alpha" leader or a mathematical genious. I couldn't become a surgeon no matter how hard I tried because I'd pass out at the first sight of blood. The woman who cleans my house works very hard and does a great job. She enjoys cleaning, and has a gift for it. But no matter how hard she works, she'll never earn $250K per year.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:59 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,718,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Typical BS attitude of Republicans. I'm sure it makes you feel better about yourself to believe that a child born to a single teenage mother on welfare in a bad part of town has the same potential to become a millionaire as does the kid born into wealth who's handed a top notch education on a silver platter and groomed for corporate American from day one.

Of course it can be done - See Obama as an example - and anyone who manages to go from poverty to Harvard Law school is an amazing person. But he's the exception, not the typical case coming from poverty.

You also don't take into consideration each human's natural abilities. Not everyone is born an "alpha" leader or a mathematical genious. I couldn't become a surgeon no matter how hard I tried because I'd pass out at the first sight of blood. The woman who cleans my house works very hard and does a great job. She enjoys cleaning, and has a gift for it. But no matter how hard she works, she'll never earn $250K per year.
Around 80% of millionaires are first generation "wealthy".

Becoming a millionaire isn't about hard work alone, it's about working smart. Your house cleaner could earn $250k per year if she could offer that service to a larger number of clients by moving from an employee to an employer.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:45 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,144,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

I do not believe Obama came from poverty. I believe he came from a middle class family.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:46 AM

87 posts, read 319,398 times
Okay, first off: very, very few people are born millionaires. These are the Paris Hiltons of the world. Warren Buffet's income is irrelevant, since he is the richest man on planet earth, richer than Bill Gates or any Saudi oil sheik. What we're talking about are people who earn what they have via work, not those who were handed it. And even if you were handed it, so what? You lucked out. That doesn't mean you should be punished just because others are jealous of your good fortune. Some people have good luck in life, others don't. It's not a level playing field in that sense, and the idea that we should steal from the wealthy to artificially create a more level playing field is pure Communist ideaology. You can't force luck. You have just as small of a chance as winning the $150,000,000 Powerball lottery as you do being born into a family like Paris Hilton...and if you win the lottery, I might be jealous but that does NOT mean that I am going to break into your house and take away your money just because I'm jealous and think I am entitled to it and should have it. And that's EXACTLY what "income redistribution" is.

In reality, here's what it boils down to -- thanks to the already-high taxes in this nation, EVERYONE born here is entitled to a FREE K-12 education. If they choose not to take advantage of that -- for example, if they choose to drop out and sell drugs on the streets, or go be pregnant at 16 -- that's their choice (and a bad one, IMHO, but their choice nonetheless). The fact that they don't take advantage of the opportunities presented to them, does NOT mean that they deserve a 2nd chance (or 3rd or 4th...) at the expense of the working public's income. Life isn't a buffet, and you don't get "mulligans". You don't get to **** away these oppotunities, and then have free money handed to you later in life - "free" money which was earned by people who DIDN'T **** away those same opportunities. Some people choose to stay in that free K-12 school, study hard and soberly, work hard to put themselves through college (even if it's just a local community college) - study really hard in high school to possibly get helped by one or more of the MANY MANY scholarships or government aid programs (that we're already paying for with our already-high taxes) - and these hard workers have something to show for it. Someone mentioned Barack Obama a few posts back, and he is a good example of this. The fact that you feel that he's the exception rather than the rule does NOT indicate that he was "lucky", it indicates that he is a hard worker where "most" choose to not work so hard. Everyone else born into a lower-class or lower-middle-class household like he was has the EXACT SAME free K-12 education and opportunities for hard work and self-betterment that he had. The fact that they don't choose to take them is their bad choice. We ALL know what the consequences of those bad choices are, so no one can say they "weren't warned".

If we lived in a world where the slackers and the idiots could say "you have more than I do, and I'm jealous and I want what you have, so I'm just going to take it from you" - that's NOT CIVILIZATION, that's anarchy, that's Communism, that's the Democractic Party's party line.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:46 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,772,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbomb82 View Post
Olbama wants to make each small business owner that makes over 250,000 dollars a year pay a tax.

Why would some think this is okay? I mean come one, you go out and make over 250,000 dollars a year and you have to pay extra tax for the middle class?

If someone doesn't like being middle class, then the middle class should find another job or start a business. I know that this doesn't happen overnight but I think if the person's tries and is confident getting a better job things turn out better.

And anyway,what's so wrong with middle class? What is so bad with makeing around 42,000 a year?
That's considered the average wage and I don't get why people think they should just get extra money because they make that much. These people are not even close to being poor or with poverty. Unless the spending habits are bad.

If someone is making 70,000 dollars a year and just spends like crazy they could be a lot worse off than a middle class.

I'm in college right now and I'm thinking: If I'm middle class, I don't want the government paying me out of it.
I don't expect the government to pay for my nights out since I'm not working full time in college.

It's up to me! not the government on how much money I should get.

It's up to me! To enjoy raising and family and enjoy being middle class or still enjoy a family making more money.

It's up to me! To be poor!

It's up to me! To try my best to change to higher paying job!

It's up to me! To try to find how to make more money! not the government

Sorry if I said, "It's up to me!" so many times but that's the real truth

You forget one thing. michelle Obama isn't allowing anybody to do whatever they want. You can't be lazy and don't make money, she will tell you you have to do what she will tell you. So when they are in power no freedom more for the people who like to be lazy....they ahve to do whatever they say, positive and negative so we are going to live in a socialized almost communist country if we let them. They will take from the people who work hard and give it to the people who don't want to do anything!!!! that is called Nobama politics.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:41 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,943 times
I'm simply amazed that some people dont think 250,000 a year is rich. Might not be as rich as some others but in no way shape or form is 250,00 a year middle income.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:47 PM

87 posts, read 319,398 times
I'd also like to point out something about that graph showing income in the USA -- assuming that it's accurate (I have no clue what your source is), it shows that the "pay gap" -- the distribution of income between the various classes in society (upper class, upper-middle class, middle class, lower-middle class, lower class) -- has stayed EXACTLY THE SAME. The rich are no richer and the poor are no poorer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies