Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2008, 11:36 AM

337 posts, read 826,751 times

Advertisements

Most "rich people" who make 250K a year are paying about 1/3 of that in taxes (it's actually a little more).

Sorry that doesn't seem to be enough for you guys. How much is enough. It just drives me crazy that CEO's making 25 M a year and a person making 250K are in the same category.

If you make over 1M a year I say good for you, keep up the good work. I don't think, well somehow I am entitled to some of that money.

My husband and I work an average to 16 hours a day every day. How exactly is anyone entitled to live off of our hard work and sacrifice? YOU ARE NOT.

I would love to work 40 hours a week, sleep in my own bed and spend every night with my husband. It doesn't happen we see each other every few months if we are lucky and look forward to the day when we can have that life. We work hard now so we don't have to later.

It really is to bad that we have created a society where people feel entitled to have the same things that other have. We are entitled to what we work hard and earn. Nothing more and nothing less. There are no excuses for not bettering one's situation. All one needs is the drive to have a better life. The lack of work ethic and moral backbone does not entitle you to ride on the coattails of others and expect them to want to give you what they have worked hard to earn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 12:38 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. 01 Snake View Post
Most "rich people" who make 250K a year are paying about 1/3 of that in taxes (it's actually a little more).

Sorry that doesn't seem to be enough for you guys. How much is enough. It just drives me crazy that CEO's making 25 M a year and a person making 250K are in the same category.

If you make over 1M a year I say good for you, keep up the good work. I don't think, well somehow I am entitled to some of that money.

My husband and I work an average to 16 hours a day every day. How exactly is anyone entitled to live off of our hard work and sacrifice? YOU ARE NOT.

I would love to work 40 hours a week, sleep in my own bed and spend every night with my husband. It doesn't happen we see each other every few months if we are lucky and look forward to the day when we can have that life. We work hard now so we don't have to later.

It really is to bad that we have created a society where people feel entitled to have the same things that other have. We are entitled to what we work hard and earn. Nothing more and nothing less. There are no excuses for not bettering one's situation. All one needs is the drive to have a better life. The lack of work ethic and moral backbone does not entitle you to ride on the coattails of others and expect them to want to give you what they have worked hard to earn.
I for one think that taxes are fine how they are. If we cut all th flipping spending this country does then everyones taxes could be lowered. I just took issue with the fact that some people are boohooing that their "meager" 250k income is barely enough for them to get by.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
I for one think that taxes are fine how they are. If we cut all th flipping spending this country does then everyones taxes could be lowered. I just took issue with the fact that some people are boohooing that their "meager" 250k income is barely enough for them to get by.
250K is great money, it does not make you rich, it makes you comfortable. taxes are what they are, we pay them. I just don't think redistribution of wealth as some would like is right.

I don't OWE you anything. I would quit my job to lower our tax bracket before I would give money to people who don't work for it. Then maybe we could get some of this free health care I keep hearing about.

Why work hard if you don't have the right to the money you earn? I would guess I might now be the only person who feels this way.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:07 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,844 times
Quote:
250K is great money, it does not make you rich, it makes you comfortable. taxes are what they are, we pay them. I just don't think redistribution of wealth as some would like is right.

I don't OWE you anything. I would quit my job to lower our tax bracket before I would give money to people who don't work for it. Then maybe we could get some of this free health care I keep hearing about.

Why work hard if you don't have the right to the money you earn? I would guess I might now be the only person who feels this way.
Like I said, I think taxes are fine as is, no need to raise anyones taxes..so we agree to a point.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:30 PM

532 posts, read 909,075 times
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a7/United_States_Income_Distribution_1967-2003.svg/800px-United_States_Income_Distribution_1967-2003.svg.png (broken link)

Old 10-05-2008, 02:05 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,020 times
The graph (showing "income" but that means "household income" and I'm assuming that these figures are adjusted for inflation) from *eastcoastlady* is the most damning item that the Repubs can see. Look at the numbers. 50% of the households in America are making a smidgen more than $40K per year in 2003, just 5 years ago. Think about what that means. $40K per year is about $20/hr in wages. And a household is very often two persons' income (husband and wife). So that means for a good number of these 50th percentile households, the husband and wife are making an average of about $10/hr each. What kind of job do you have so that you are making $10/hr? Think about it. That's what the American economy in 2003 was providing as jobs and income for the lower 50 percent of the households in America. That's not a huge amount of income! And the chart shows that this figure is not growing at anywhere near the rate of growth for earners in the 80th percentile and up. Think about what inflation was like from 1970 to the year 2000!

And it only takes a simple majority win in enough states to get 270 electoral votes to elect a president. So it makes me scratch my head to think that a country where the 50th percentile household income is only $40K would elect a President from a party that wants to cut taxes on the rich, while also INCREASING THE DEFICIT EVERY YEAR, as was the case for Dubya for 8 years! It's incredible. So, one explanation is that the 0 to 49th percentile households are not voting in great numbers every 4 years! The Dems need to make sure that this is no longer the case going forward! If the 0 to 49th percentile households were voting in significant numbers and looked at that chart, there is NO WAY the people can support the economic and taxing policies of a clown like Dubya and his ilk.

Mr. and Mrs. $250K per year income: Remember, in the year 2008 there are maybe 0.5% or 1% of you and 99% to 99.5% of the rest of the country! You're concerns are going to be voted down! Deal with it!

Last edited by ParkTwain; 10-05-2008 at 02:42 PM..

Old 10-05-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Gimme a break! You're talking about the NOMINAL TAX RATE. Let's also talk about the EFFECTIVE TAX RATE, which is the percentage of your income that you're ACTUALLY paying every year. I'll just bet that rate is LESS THAN the nominal rate.

This difference between the nominal and effective tax rates is why the corporations don't actually pay anywhere near their fair share of income taxes. They have writeoffs and exemptions and credits up the wazoo. It's absolutely unfair. The corporations want to be treated as an "individual" for some things (political speech rights) but not like an individual for others (product liability, taxes). Real tough to figure that one out!

Old 10-05-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Gimme a break! You're talking about the NOMINAL TAX RATE. Let's also talk about the EFFECTIVE TAX RATE, which is the percentage of your income that you're ACTUALLY paying every year. I'll just bet that rate is LESS THAN the nominal rate.

This difference between the nominal and effective tax rates is why the corporations don't actually pay anywhere near their fair share of income taxes. They have writeoffs and exemptions and credits up the wazoo. It's absolutely unfair. The corporations want to be treated as an "individual" for some things (political speech rights) but not like an individual for others (product liability, taxes). Real tough to figure that one out!
Give you a break? Give me a break. I know that paying and I mean paying 80 to 90K a year in taxes seems fair to you. I should probably pay 150K right? That would be the right thing for me to do? How about I just forget making money and working my a$$ off, have a few kids and go on welfare? I know that would be better than paying my mere pennies in taxes.

You folks are a joke. Your idea of what people should pay is nothing but ignorance. You cry about making 10/hr? This is still more than minimum wage. I remember working my way through college earning 2.50/hour. I sure didn't look to anyone to make up the difference for me.

If I needed more money I got another job. 3 jobs and a full time student. No one paid my way, I still pay it now. But, hey I should feel bad for making something of myself.

I think the people that are truly upset about the comments made are the ones who worked hard for what they have and feel that everyone should do the same.

You want more, work more. Need more money, get another job. The concept just seems so easy to some of us. And, please don't say, it's not that easy. It is that easy and always has been that easy.

Look at me, I fixed the poverty problem in our country. That education I paid 50K for is really paying off.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:51 PM

I'm telling you these things:

* By earning more than $250K per year for a household in 2008, you are in the 99.5 percentile of U.S. households.

* Those earning $10/hr aren't only college kids. Can't you see the reality behind the numbers? Do you really think that most of the persons in households earning $40K and less in 2003 are persons under 25 y.o.? What percentage of workers in the U.S. are under 25 y.o.? Not a huge number. What I'm saying is that there a LOT of adults 30 y.o. and older in America making around $10/hr. You need to think about that. It means that the good-paying jobs ARE RELATIVELY FEW compared to the number of workers, which to the politically minded citizen means there is an ECONOMIC ISSUE going on, OR maybe that our educational system ain't producing the numbers of qualified persons to hold higher-paying jobs, which to the politically minded citizen means there is an EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM ISSUE going on. Think about it.

* By being a citizen of the United States you are swimming in a sea of persons who earn quite a bit LESS that you do. Does that make them WORSE than you? No. Does that make you BETTER than them? No. But you've go to get it straight about the REALITY of the income demographics in this country and the ramifications of this for national tax policy.

* You think you are RICHER or SMARTER than Warren Buffett, who is the first to say he is NOT TAXED ENOUGH? Maybe you should find out WHY he says such a thing and has been for many years. You must think that Buffett believes that he is a SELF-MADE WEALTHY PERSON. You would be wrong.

How you FEEL about what you've accomplished financially in your life needs to be CALIBRATED to the FACTS about the income demographics found in the U.S. today. That is, you need to take seriously how the government, in your state and nationally, is spending money on education, to what extent is the government a GOOD STEWARD of the ECONOMY, and how the government determines whom to tax and by how much. You and everyone else out there need to GET INVOLVED in the political process and stop allowing our political representatives to IGNORE the WILL OF THE PEOPLE and to avoid INVESTING in America's future!

Last edited by ParkTwain; 10-05-2008 at 04:20 PM..

Old 10-05-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
I'm telling you these things:

* By earning more than $250K per year for a household in 2008, you are in the 99.5 percentile of U.S. households.

* Those earning $10/hr aren't only college kids. Can't you see the reality behind the numbers? Do you really think that most of the persons in households earning $40K and less in 2003 are persons under 25 y.o.? What percentage of workers in the U.S. are under 25 y.o.? Not a huge number. What I'm saying is that there a LOT of adults 30 y.o. and older in America making around $10/hr. You need to think about that. It means that the good-paying jobs ARE RELATIVELY FEW compared to the number of workers, which for a politician means there is an ECONOMIC ISSUE going on, OR maybe that our educational system ain't producing the numbers of qualified persons to hold higher-paying jobs, which for a politician means there is an EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM ISSUE going on. Think about it.

* By being a citizen of the United States you are swimming in a sea of persons who earn quite a bit LESS that you do. Does that make them WORSE than you? No. Does that make you BETTER than them? No. But you've go to get it straight about the REALITY of the income demographics in this country and the ramifications of this for national tax policy.

* You think you are RICHER or SMARTER than Warren Buffett, who is the first to say he is NOT TAXED ENOUGH? Maybe you should find out WHY he says such a thing and has been for many years. You must think that Buffett believes that he is a SELF-MADE WEALTHY PERSON. You would be wrong.

How you FEEL about what you've accomplished financially in your life needs to be CALIBRATED to the FACTS about the income demographics found in the U.S. today. That is, you need to take seriously how the government, in your state and nationally, is spending money on education, to what extent is the government a GOOD STEWARD of the ECONOMY, and how the government determines whom to tax and by how much. You and everyone else out there need to GET INVOLVED in the political process and stop allowing our political representatives to IGNORE the WILL OF THE PEOPLE!
When Warren Buffett makes 250K/yr you can compare us. We are not anywhere near the same. We should not be in the same tax bracket. There is a huge difference in income. Maybe one day with hard work I too will be a RICH like him.

There are 2 groups that need a pay raise. Teachers and military. Pay them for the services they provide.

I Get involved I am as involved as my schedule allows. I certainly know more than most folks. I don't vote based on what a celebrity thinks, what television tells me to or what anyone else thinks. I vote for the person that best fits my idea or right and wrong.

There is nothing wrong with expecting people to pull their own weight. But, that is not the American way anymore is it? Nope, lets blame the "rich" people and take what they have because it is so unfair.

Where were all you do gooders when I was broke? When I got out of college 10 years ago my first job was paying $10.66/hr. Kind of crazy owing 50K in student loans and not making enough money to pay bills and loan payments. But, i got by, living with a stranger and no luxuries. But, we can't expect folks to live within their means that is just unreasonable.

Once again, give me a break. You get no sympathy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies