Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 07:38 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
You couldn't pay me to live in Ca. I live in Somerset County, NJ. I bought my "mansion" back in 1999 - when I had to qualify for it and put 20% down. And pay two points to get my 7.75 interest rate. (which I had refinanced about 5 years ago to the tune of 5.25%).

At well over 250K with kids and not being an old fart, I am obligated to provide my children with not only the basics, but a college education...because in the past few decades, you need a 4 year degree to get anywhere. That is how I was raised and that is what I will do for mine. I brought them in to this world and my end of the deal does not stop when they turn 18. I'm also counting on not having to take a mortgage out on my house to pay for their weddings. My DH and I call that our slush fund times 3 walks down the isle.

Do you have kids? I'm thinking you don't. If you do, do you invest in 529's? Do you have other college funds set aside for your kids? Do you live in a blue state where property taxes pay for education? Do you own your own business and pay top dollar for private insurance? Do you send your kids to a private school b/c the local public school is in the paper every other day for the gang activity/fights/other bs that the police are called to the school for? Do you have life insurance premiums to pay? Do you invest in your own retirement b/c you don't work for a union but yourself?

Money in...money out. And only to ensure that the kids are/will be ok and given every leg up that I can give them and and the same time to take care of myself (and DH) when we enter our golden years.

Maybe people have different priorities than I do...we have kids. They are our first priority. Now and in their future.

To see people wanting to tax someone who works as hard as my husband does to provide for his family MORE than he already is taxed...go work Christmas day/Thanksgiving/July 4th,....every other damn holiday in a year. No sick days, no days off for birthdays or anniversaries...yep, that's our CHOICE. It's your choice NOT TO. So don't feel that while you sit on your arse and my husband is working to make that extra buck to provide for his family you or anyone else deserves ONE MORE PENNY from us because we get the meaning of what it is to sacrifice not only your "body" to create these kids (if your a chick) but your time spent for the future of your children. While our income is above and beyond $250K.

And if you don't have kids...shut it. You can easily live off of $250k no matter where you plop your arse down and call it "home".

Thank you, I'll be here all week.
First of all don't talk to me as if I am using any form of public aid okay? I pay tax too. Also, you're using all the following examples; paying for multiple kids college, paying for their weddings, owning a home in an area with hugely inflated property values, sending your kids to private schools, financing what will most likely be a comfy retirement, paying for insurance, providing your kids a "great" life, etc as reasons why your "meager" income of 250k+ a year isn't all that much. Gimme a break, look at the value of your home and your income, now look at areas in 90% of the rest of the country and see what that kinda income pays for and then proceed to "shut it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 07:43 PM

87 posts, read 319,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
First of all don't talk to me as if I am using any form of public aid okay? I pay tax too. Also, you're using all the following examples; paying for multiple kids college, paying for their weddings, owning a home in an area with hugely inflated property values, sending your kids to private schools, financing what will most likely be a comfy retirement, paying for insurance, providing your kids a "great" life, etc as reasons why your "meager" income of 250k+ a year isn't all that much. Gimme a break, look at the value of your home and your income, now look at areas in 90% of the rest of the country and see what that kinda income pays for and then proceed to "shut it".
The lady's point [mod cut] was not that she's poor or that $250k/year is a meager income (which it ain't). Her point was that her family works very hard for that amount of income -- they work harder than the average person, and thus make more than the average person. They could work less and thus make less income, but they want more so they work harder for it...not take it from anyone. No one's handed them anything on a silver platter; they've put their blood, sweat, and tears into acheiving the goals they've set for themselves. And the governent does NOT have the right to punish them and take away the results of that hard work, so that it can be given as free money (Welfare) to a bunch of slackers with 1/1,000,000th the balls and work ethic.

It makes no sense to penalize the hardest-working, the smartest, the most talented, etc. -- in this life, this is how it works: if you want something, you go out and work for it. Not everything is EASY -- some things require many years of expense and time and very hard work, and some things require talent and brains -- and there are plenty of folks out there who are too lazy or too dense to achieve what Bill Gates has. Too bad -- life ain't fair, we don't all start at the same place or end up at the same place (financially speaking), and we don't all have the same luck or talents or work ethic. We can't all get exactly what we want.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 10-04-2008 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: calling posters names will not be tolerated

Old 10-04-2008, 07:46 PM

35 posts, read 103,775 times
In response to my previous post, I have recieved mixed responses, which was expected.
Within about a day 11 pages of posts have been created on this thread. If I were to read them all and take into consideration each reply to my post then I would have to touch upon way too many issues and that just isn't feasible. What is feasible, however, is to read several of the responses I have read and appreciate and sum up a reply.

First, I understand a lot of you don't understand my reasoning for making the claims I have made towards $250,000 a year being a figure I have a right to criticize. You're right, and you're wrong in saying that. It depends on a lot of variables, for example, where in the country you live, what your overhead is, etc. Too many to list. At the same time, however, you got to remember that the more money that comes in, the more money goes out. Thats a general rule of thumb that is accepted. It's up to you to budget what's spent and what's not. If you're making 250K a year, you're spending at LEAST 225K/year. If I were you guys, though, I'd be defending my lifestyle too. Can't blame you there.
Secondly, I understand what it takes to run a business. That's why I don't own a business. Yes, it is a tough job, and the stress that it can provoke is no walk in the park. This is why you should be infuriated with the people that caused us to be in this dire situation. It's not only the business owners that suffer, it's the employees as well, as we observe lower wages, less jobs, and stagnate economical growth. This is why you need to vote for a NON FISCAL conservative. Think anti-intuitive here. It seems wrong that you may be taxed more, but at the same time, it also promotes growth within your business. Realize what the disease is, not the symptom.

Furthermore, being poor does not constitute making less than 10 grand a year. That's what constitutes not paying federal taxes. Under 10 grand. No one supports themselves on 10 grand a year. If your defintion of poor is not paying federal taxes at all, then you are extremely misguided. If a person supports themselves on 10 grand a year, they are more than likely recieving government assistance as well, such as housing, insureance, and food stamps. I don't recieve any of that. I believe in earning my keep. Not to mention the application process is extremely flawed. Also, next time you go to the doctor, read the sign that says "WE ARE REQUIRED BY LAW NOT TO REFUSE YOU SERVICE IN CASE OF EMERGENCY"! That sign, by law required to be posted at all hospitals, means that if you don't have an emergency and cannot afford the service then they can deny you. They would not post a disclaimer if it was not common practice.
Last but not least, EITC (earned income tax credit) amounts for something like 0.5% of my income for the year, or maybe even less. Give me a break. Furthermore, I am 99% sure that EITC only applies if you have a child! Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm almost positive.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:55 PM

488 posts, read 1,177,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
Still no answer?
I'm still waiting for an answer.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:59 PM

87 posts, read 319,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjs4786 View Post
Within about a day 11 pages of posts have been created on this thread. If I were to read them all and take into consideration each reply to my post then I would have to touch upon way too many issues and that just isn't feasible.
Quit trying to justify your laziness. We don't care.

Quote:
If you're making 250K a year, you're spending at LEAST 225K/year.
Says who? Some people, unlike you, are fiscically conservative -- meaning they know how to save, and only spend when necessary and wise.

Quote:
This is why you need to vote for a NON FISCAL conservative. Think anti-intuitive here. It seems wrong that you may be taxed more, but at the same time, it also promotes growth within your business. Realize what the disease is, not the symptom.
[mod cut] Let's review: more money paid out means less money left over. Subtraction results in LOWER numbers, not higher ones. When businesses are taxed higher and higher, that's less and less available to provide raises in employee pay, hire more employees, and re-invest in the business so that it can grow and flourish.

Quote:
No one supports themselves on 10 grand a year. If your defintion of poor is not paying federal taxes at all, then you are extremely misguided. If a person supports themselves on 10 grand a year, they are more than likely recieving government assistance as well, such as housing, insureance, and food stamps.
For the third or fourth time (because you were too lazy to read the previous posts): I make between $8,000 and $9,000 in any given year -- and I live on that just fine thanks. If someone showed up on my property with food stamps or a welfare check, the police would never find a trace of them and their family would die still wondering what happened.

There is a difference between "needing" and "wanting", between luxury and necessity. "Life and death" things are necessities (food, water, shelter) - everything else is luxury. As my immigrant maternal grandmother pointed out, people in this country get used to luxuries very, very quickly and from then on take them for granted and count them as necessities.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 10-04-2008 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: calling other member names is against the TOS

Old 10-04-2008, 08:19 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,203,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernFarmer View Post
The lady's point [mod cut] was not that she's poor or that $250k/year is a meager income (which it ain't). Her point was that her family works very hard for that amount of income -- they work harder than the average person, and thus make more than the average person. They could work less and thus make less income, but they want more so they work harder for it...not take it from anyone. No one's handed them anything on a silver platter; they've put their blood, sweat, and tears into acheiving the goals they've set for themselves. And the governent does NOT have the right to punish them and take away the results of that hard work, so that it can be given as free money (Welfare) to a bunch of slackers with 1/1,000,000th the balls and work ethic.

It makes no sense to penalize the hardest-working, the smartest, the most talented, etc. -- in this life, this is how it works: if you want something, you go out and work for it. Not everything is EASY -- some things require many years of expense and time and very hard work, and some things require talent and brains -- and there are plenty of folks out there who are too lazy or too dense to achieve what Bill Gates has. Too bad -- life ain't fair, we don't all start at the same place or end up at the same place (financially speaking), and we don't all have the same luck or talents or work ethic. We can't all get exactly what we want.

First of all, if you can get this through that thick head of yours, my point was, and still is, that 250k is not a meager income. And by no means does someones income level determine how hardworking, intelligent, nor how talented someone is mmmk? I'm sure a lot of teachers, nurses, cops, etc pulling 70-80+ hours a week would take offense to that statement. Also, do not presume to tell me what her point is you pseudo intellectual. Her point was that an 250k incomes value is relative and then proceeded to list off her reasons as to why that kinda income isn't that much to her and her family. Reading comprehension is your friend not your enemy.

Last edited by Kereczr; 10-04-2008 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: the quoted post was deleted

Old 10-04-2008, 08:25 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times
Folks, lease stay on topic and personal insults will not be tolerated. You can disagree on issues, but you can NOT call others names or personally attack them.
Thank you for your co-operation.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-04-2008, 09:18 PM

532 posts, read 909,075 times
I think its interesting that the same people who say that everyone should work hard and make their own way also say $250,000 a year is not rich. They say they need more to pay for their kids' college educations.
Its funny how people don't realize how much they get from their parents. Most wealthy people were born that way or at least had parents who gave them a good start. Under more meager circumstances those same people might have done much worse.
If that little kid in the bad neighborhood had parents who could afford to send him to college, his path would be much different. Wealth (and lack of it) is largely inherited.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:25 PM

488 posts, read 1,177,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
OK, I've read 10 pages of this.
From the experts who are big into redisribution, if I make 25,000 a year, how much should the federal government pay me back?

If I make $50,000 a year, do I have to pay income tax or do I get some free money back?

If I make $100,000 a year, do I still have to pay income tax or do I still get free money back from the government?

If I have worked my ass off for 25 years to make $250,001 a year, what percentage do I have to give to the federal government to redistribute to the "more unfortunane" to make them happy?
I'm trying to stay on topic but I still have not recieved an answer.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:34 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:
In response to my previous post, I have recieved mixed responses, which was expected.
Within about a day 11 pages of posts have been created on this thread. If I were to read them all and take into consideration each reply to my post then I would have to touch upon way too many issues and that just isn't feasible. What is feasible, however, is to read several of the responses I have read and appreciate and sum up a reply.

First, I understand a lot of you don't understand my reasoning for making the claims I have made towards $250,000 a year being a figure I have a right to criticize. You're right, and you're wrong in saying that. It depends on a lot of variables, for example, where in the country you live, what your overhead is, etc. Too many to list. At the same time, however, you got to remember that the more money that comes in, the more money goes out. Thats a general rule of thumb that is accepted. It's up to you to budget what's spent and what's not. If you're making 250K a year, you're spending at LEAST 225K/year. If I were you guys, though, I'd be defending my lifestyle too. Can't blame you there.
Secondly, I understand what it takes to run a business. That's why I don't own a business. Yes, it is a tough job, and the stress that it can provoke is no walk in the park. This is why you should be infuriated with the people that caused us to be in this dire situation. It's not only the business owners that suffer, it's the employees as well, as we observe lower wages, less jobs, and stagnate economical growth. This is why you need to vote for a NON FISCAL conservative. Think anti-intuitive here. It seems wrong that you may be taxed more, but at the same time, it also promotes growth within your business. Realize what the disease is, not the symptom.

Furthermore, being poor does not constitute making less than 10 grand a year. That's what constitutes not paying federal taxes. Under 10 grand. No one supports themselves on 10 grand a year. If your defintion of poor is not paying federal taxes at all, then you are extremely misguided. If a person supports themselves on 10 grand a year, they are more than likely recieving government assistance as well, such as housing, insureance, and food stamps. I don't recieve any of that. I believe in earning my keep. Not to mention the application process is extremely flawed. Also, next time you go to the doctor, read the sign that says "WE ARE REQUIRED BY LAW NOT TO REFUSE YOU SERVICE IN CASE OF EMERGENCY"! That sign, by law required to be posted at all hospitals, means that if you don't have an emergency and cannot afford the service then they can deny you. They would not post a disclaimer if it was not common practice.
Last but not least, EITC (earned income tax credit) amounts for something like 0.5% of my income for the year, or maybe even less. Give me a break. Furthermore, I am 99% sure that EITC only applies if you have a child! Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm almost positive.
Single folds without children can qualify for EIC if their income meets the current income guidelines. I received it when I was starting out in the workforce and I don't have any children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies