Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:13 PM

87 posts, read 319,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Southernfarmer, i really don't care what you believe
Yes you do. Hence the "but" and the response.

Quote:
Then say that any income can be earned with enough work.. maybe you don't do enough work?
If I wanted to earn more money, I could make choices to achieve that. For example, I could choose to put myself through college and get into a different line of work. But I have no need to -- I earn enough money to buy everything I need in this world - I don't go wanting. AND I own the most valuable thing a man can possess, but which no amount of money can buy - I have SALVATION by the blood of Jesus Christ the risen, living Lord!

Quote:
The point i was making was that I personally do not mind paying extra tax as it does not affect me as if i had to pay extra tax on a much lower income. Simple!
That may have been what you meant (I don't believe it was), but it's not what you said.

As colleeng47 said, feel free to whip out your checkbook and make a nice big donation to the government at any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 04:16 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
You think people earning over $250,000 per year don't already pay tax? To give tax breaks to lower income earners will mean that the small businessman will get more customers, more revenue and in the long run it will pay their extra tax over and over again. Economic sense. By taxing the higher earners more money will go into the coffers and less tax will have to be taken from middle America. If you cut tax for everyone, as Bush has done, it can lead to stagnation. Hey guess what..it has.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:25 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjs4786 View Post

I'm a young male. I am poor.
Why are you poor?

Old 10-03-2008, 04:26 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
It's all in the definition of "poor"

Old 10-03-2008, 04:29 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
http://www.childafrica.org/images/gallery/child/large/95.jpg (broken link)

Truly poor.

http://comps.fotosearch.com/comp/CSK/CSK016/man-blackjack-table_%7Eks127292.jpg (broken link)

Perceived poor.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
You think people earning over $250,000 per year don't already pay tax? To give tax breaks to lower income earners will mean that the small businessman will get more customers, more revenue and in the long run it will pay their extra tax over and over again. Economic sense. By taxing the higher earners more money will go into the coffers and less tax will have to be taken from middle America. If you cut tax for everyone, as Bush has done, it can lead to stagnation. Hey guess what..it has.
Wrong. Cutting taxes for everyone does not lead to stagnation. Shipping millions of jobs overseas to China, having darn near every manufactured good sold in the USA made outside the USA -- that leads to unemployment, a lack of high-paying jobs, and thus a lack of available cash in the average American's bank account...which leads to a decrease in the purchase of goods and the use of services, which leads to higher costs (supply & demand) and further job cuts, which completes the first revolution of the vicious cycle.

The only reasonable and ethical thing to do is tax everyone at the same rate. For example, 5% regardless of what your income is. You make $10,000 you pay $500 in taxes. You make $300,000 you pay $15,000 in taxes. Under the lib-tards' plan, the latter pays at a rate of 33% - meaning $99,000 in taxes. That's both unethical and unAmerican.

What bothers me is hearing Washington toss around huge sums of money -- millions and even BILLIONS of dollars like it's pocket change...like most people would talk about a nickel. If we didn't have such a massive bureaucracy for a government, we would need only a tiny fraction of the tax revenues that get sucked up. Get rid of welfare, public education, excess military spending, excess salaries for public offices, health insurance for the otherwise-uninsured, the space program, the tree-hugging hippie environmental programs, the subsidies and grants for various causes and industries, all the pork-barrel spending, etc. etc. etc.

I'm with Goldwater - I say, let's turn back the clock to no income tax altogether. The American government found a way to function JUST FINE without it prior to 1913. And bear in mind that it was during those years (1776-1913) that the nation was expanded from the western border (approx. Ohio) to the Pacific Ocean...talk about infrastructure needs! If they could do it without an income tax, we can sure run the already-discovered country without it.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Being young and not having much money is not a bad thing. I was brought up in a poor working class family in the East End of London. I have been lucky and am ok now. As bigjon says it all depends on what you percieve as poor. Not having a colour TV or a old car or no cable tv or not being able to feed your family? It's in the eye of the beholder.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:37 PM

This is SOOOOOOO funny. I have said i don't mind paying more tax and get criticized for it. Yes there are many reasons for the country being in the mess it's in. GREED is the top reason. Companies going abroad to use slave labour, CEO's getting nearly £20,000,000 for 17 days work is another. cutting tax so that the spending is more than the incoming revenues is another. Attitude is another as can be seen here.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I have said i don't mind paying more tax and get criticized for it.
No, you were told that you're welcome to do whatever you want with your own money, including donating it to the government. You were criticized for volunteering others' money, and attempting to speak for everyone else who earns what you claim to earn.

Quote:
Yes there are many reasons for the country being in the mess it's in. GREED is the top reason. Companies going abroad to use slave labour, CEO's getting nearly £20,000,000 for 17 days work is another. cutting tax so that the spending is more than the incoming revenues is another. Attitude is another as can be seen here.
Everyone and their dog has their own pet theory about why the country isn't perfect. Personally, I think there are tons of factors -- but I agree that American companies making American products overseas using foreign labor is (a) very bad, and (b) one of the factors negatively influencing our economy and the average American's wealth. I also agree that corrupt CEOs (Enron, Tyco, etc.) illegally making millions of dollars is (a) very bad, and (b) a bad influence on the economy.

However, saying that cutting taxes hurts businesses has got to be one of the most idiotic things I've heard this week. You don't end up with less money by paying less in taxes. Subtraction leads to smaller numbers, not larger ones.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:55 PM

Paying less tax across the board is fine as long as you cut spending. Spending must now be the issue. If spending can be shaved then tax cuts across the board are ok. Hey i am not against paying less tax but i'm not against paying more if it helps restore America to where it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies