Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:15 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times

Advertisements

How about adoption? What can we do as a society to destigmatize adoption? Surely that is a viable option as oppossed to keep it or kill it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 02:25 PM

513 posts, read 897,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Or rape or incest, to add the the conversation?
Unfortunately these awful things do happen, as well as being paralized in a car accident due to a drunk driver who takes away the innocent victims ability to walk.

Or a tornado that demolishes someones home taking the lives of the innocent people inside.

Many things happen in life that we have no control over.

Your point is a very valid one and yes we are affected by the actions of others positively and negatively.

My point is made more on the accountability of the subject not necessarily the Moral piece.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:30 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
How about adoption? What can we do as a society to destigmatize adoption? Surely that is a viable option as oppossed to keep it or kill it.
What are the chances that a crack baby is adopted?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
Unfortunately these awful things do happen, as well as being paralized in a car accident due to a drunk driver who takes away the innocent victims ability to walk.

Or a tornado that demolishes someones home taking the lives of the innocent people inside.

Your point is a very valid one and yes we are affected by the actions of others positively and negatively.

My point is made more on the accountability of the subject not necessarily the Moral piece.

I understand where you're coming from --that people who sleep around should not take the "easy way out". That is their reality.

But being raped or having an incest baby is another person's reality. What, if I may ask, are your opinions in dealing with such realities?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
What are the chances that a crack baby is adopted?
Surely more then crack addicts have unplanned pregnancies

In any case, my sons birthmother drank a lot, had no prenatal care, gave birth to him alone at home after hiding the pregnancy, he was a premie that weighed less then 3lbs, and he was dx with ventricular luekatia (sp?) and at high risk for cerebral palsy.
We took him, and gladly.
Next argument against adoption........

Old 10-15-2008, 02:35 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Is it better to bring unwanted children into the world that will then have to be supported by taxpayer money?
It's interesting how these are the same people who rail against welfare at any chance they get.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's interesting how these are the same people who rail against welfare at any chance they get.
So are you an advocate for generational welfare?
That has been a horror to the poor community, and in a very real way has enslaved how many people by encouraging dependence upon the government and very low if little expectations for a better way of life.

Now, if you want to talk about a welfare that is a stop gap between poverty and self suffiecency that would include education, job training and most importantly of all a time limit, then you would be surprised at how many conservatives rally behind such plans.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Surely more then crack addicts have unplanned pregnancies

In any case, my sons birthmother drank a lot, had no prenatal care, gave birth to him alone at home after hiding the pregnancy, he was a premie that weighed less then 3lbs, and he was dx with ventricular luekatia (sp?) and at high risk for cerebral palsy.
We took him, and gladly.
Next argument against adoption........
You completely misunderstood me. I definitely did not say only crack addicts have unplanned pregnancies but what would you do in the case of a crack baby---as most unplanned pregnancies are in low-income, low-education households? Would you put it through the system? Would you adopt one? What to do with that baby?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:44 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post

Going off of the car accident example you gave, however, should the person who got INTO the accident not receive medical treatment? They knew the risks of getting into an accident when they got behind the wheel, so why should they get treated?

I for one see getting an abortion just as responsible as putting a child up for adoption. If a woman knows she cannot handle a child or going through pregnancy, and takes every precaution (Outside of "Not having sex" which is unrealistic to expect of someone), why should she be forced to give birth? It's punishment, and demeans the process of childbirth.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:45 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
So are you an advocate for generational welfare?
I didn't say that. All I did was make an observation on the hypocrisy of certain people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies