Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many guns do you keep at home for personal use?
More than 20 19 14.29%
Between 10 and 20 10 7.52%
Between 1 and 10 54 40.60%
None 50 37.59%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:37 PM

1,242 posts, read 2,461,197 times

Advertisements

I have fifty that I use everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 12:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
There are also many people who never owned a gun, and are dead.

Pretty meaningless statement is it not?
About 99.9% of all people who have never owned a gun are still alive, or died from causes that could not have been prevented with a gun. Pretty meaningful statement, is it not?

Old 10-17-2008, 12:59 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
*Takes a bow* - "Thank you, thank you".
You're welcome. Now would you like to address the first half of the post you replied to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Happy to criticize, but unwilling to be informed.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
About 99.9% of all people who have never owned a gun are still alive, or died from causes that could not have been prevented with a gun. Pretty meaningful statement, is it not?
There are millions of people who would still be alive (or who would have lived longer) had they and their fellow citizens been well armed and willing to use those arms: victims of the holocaust, the communists in Russia, Cambodia, etc. Governments and the police pose a severe threat to ours and others' liberty. The standing armies some of our founders warned about. If you think police abuse of authority is bad now, wait till when they have few armed citizens to fear. This is what the Second Amendment is about. Keeping the government in line.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There are millions of people who would still be alive (or who would have lived longer) had they and their fellow citizens been well armed and willing to use those arms: victims of the holocaust, the communists in Russia, Cambodia, etc. Governments and the police pose a severe threat to ours and others' liberty. The standing armies some of our founders warned about. If you think police abuse of authority is bad now, wait till when they have few armed citizens to fear. This is what the Second Amendment is about. Keeping the government in line.
OK, change that to 99%. One percent of 7-billion is 70 million. I already said what you said about the police. The Nazis still would have killed all the Jews, even if the Jews had had been armed. They just would have killed them a lot quicker, and taken a few Aryan losses, which would have increased the number of deaths, not decreased it.

I don't think I need to arm myself against Pol Pot. Funny, I thught this thread was about Americans and the value of being armed in America. I wonder why I thought that. Change my statement to "99.9% of all American civilians . . .". OK?

Old 10-17-2008, 01:30 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
OK, change that to 99%. One percent of 7-billion is 70 million. I already said what you said about the police. The Nazis still would have killed all the Jews, even if the Jews had had been armed. They just would have killed them a lot quicker, and taken a few Aryan losses, which would have increased the number of deaths, not decreased it.

I don't think I need to arm myself against Pol Pot. Funny, I thught this thread was about Americans and the value of being armed in America. I wonder why I thought that. Change my statement to "99.9% of all American civilians . . .". OK?
You dont think the Nazi soldiers might have had second thoughts about rounding up people like cattle if those people were able to fight back?
Its easy to get people to commit atrocities when theres little or no danger to themselves.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:33 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
We dont have guns here nor will we ever. Having one might have its pros and cons, there are other forms of weapons, if needed, one can use.
Which of those other weapons do you have ready in case its needed?

Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM

13,407 posts, read 28,741,978 times
None....NJ has strict gun laws...only the criminals have them
Unless you're a hunter which I'm not

Old 10-17-2008, 02:29 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
You dont think the Nazi soldiers might have had second thoughts about rounding up people like cattle if those people were able to fight back?
Its easy to get people to commit atrocities when theres little or no danger to themselves.

The victims wouldn't stand a chance, even if individually armed, against the German police forces and military unless they formed their own organized deployment of force. That's being optimistic about it. Is that what you are assuming the Jews in Germany could/should have done? Do you have any evidence that the Jewish citizens in Germany had any reason to take this approach as of a certain point in time?

There were a good number of Jews who began leaving Germany as individuals almost as soon as the Nazis gained political power inside Germany. They were well informed about the political situation, they were probably also well educated. It was those who didn't leave that became victims. The racial policy of the Nazis had been publicized for some time prior.

This notion by gun-lovers in the U.S. that armed citizens could resist the tyranny of a miltary coup, for instance, by firing their weapons at the USAF and Army tanks, etc., is just so ludicrous as not to be even worth discussing.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
This notion by gun-lovers in the U.S. that armed citizens could resist the tyranny of a miltary coup, for instance, by firing their weapons at the USAF and Army tanks, etc., is just so ludicrous as not to be even worth discussing.
Ludicrious? Really - citizens fighting for their FREEDOMS is LUDICRIOUS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies