Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many guns do you keep at home for personal use?
More than 20 19 14.29%
Between 10 and 20 10 7.52%
Between 1 and 10 54 40.60%
None 50 37.59%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:51 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,799 times

Advertisements

Its only a right because its in the Constitution. Here in the UK, I would get a minimum five years. There has been more gun related murder in the US, but they are still owned. The law is farcial, and so are the laws which help cause this Credit Crunch, which I'm not sorry to say, has pissed all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 09:03 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,412,542 times
Videos and Photos of Army Special Ops, Navy SEALs, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard in Action - Shock and Awe - Military.com

Watch and be warned. Let up an inch on our rights and we're headed in this direction.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:05 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
Its only a right because its in the Constitution. Here in the UK, I would get a minimum five years. There has been more gun related murder in the US, but they are still owned. The law is farcial, and so are the laws which help cause this Credit Crunch, which I'm not sorry to say, has pissed all over the world.
Notice that the question was "personal use",there are alot of meanings to that besides use for self defense though that also plays a part.

You are immediately relating guns to violence,yet most Americans while enjoy guns for whatever reason don't wish to harm anybody.

Yet,Britian banned most of them and still have seen a dramatic rise in crime including use of guns,now Britian is having a rash of knife crime but banning guns did is take them out of responsible peoples hands for the most part and leave them defenseless against criminals who still got a gun or went to a knife.

Japan recently had a person go on a killing spree with a knife.Crime is cause by deep root problems and until those problems are taken care of passing laws to make think something is "being done" though it isn't,it just punishes non criminals killing and rape will continue.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:59 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
My dad was an avid hunter and a member of a competitive target-shooting team. He taught me how to shoot.

When I went to college, ROTC was mandatory, and I was handed a rifle and told to qualify on the rifle range. I got the highest score out of about 1,500 students, and handed the rifle back. That was 52 years ago, and it is the last time I ever touched a gun.

I don't know of any people, animals or road signs that need to be shot.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:00 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,434,073 times
None.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:49 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
Like they always say, "America loves its guns". Biggest gun nuts in the world. Got a problem - go for the gun, Having an arguement - go for the gun, Wife nagging you to death - go for the gun.

Its all about guns with you lot over the pond. Can't you settle anything without your piece?
You've seen too many movies. And what is it about you guys and blades. All the stabbings. Oh yeah, gun crime is up in the UK. What's up with that?

Quote:
Oh and I almost forgot - when the riots start and you reach for your gun, just remember one thing: The looters will also be armed - protection from YOU
Good point. In that case, let's disarm the victims. Make things more fair, right? Is that how you guys solved your gun problems?

That's a sound plan.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:51 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
well lets see will put this up and make it utterly accessible to anybody doing a google on me.
and probably being data harvested right now within the system.
this just cost me a 3rd career job. let me think about it and get right back with you.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:53 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Just a quick poll for those who post and read this forum.
How many do you have?

Old 10-17-2008, 05:15 AM

820 posts, read 1,203,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
don't let movie lover make you think that all Brits and Europeans hate guns,in fact I have debated with a few Brits,Scots,Aussies,Kiwis and Europeans and some wish they could have guns,and some still do.

In fact some countries while having stricter rules in general allow some guns that America doesn't.Finland,Switzerland and France are among the Euro nations that have the least laws.
Most of the countries of Eastern Europe have very minimalist gun laws.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
It seems to be a matter of the fear of taking responsibility for protecting yourself. It seems as if British society has decided that it is better to be a victim than to risk harming a criminal even if he is about to harm you and yours.

I wonder if Harry Potter would be allowed in modern British society. Harry exemplifies the person willing to defend himself and his friends from criminal evil. If he existed in the real world Harry would be carrying an AK. I would be next to him with my favorite 12 ga. shotgun with a load of slugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies