Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:23 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,452,646 times

Advertisements

Lately this is driving me crazy. I have two good friends who are both republicans and each day the election draws closer, I am wondering why I am even friends with these people. I am trying to restrain myself, but it's getting hard.

Anyway, my central question has always been (and it's going out to you right wingers)...why are these people (or that one) so afraid that someone might get something for nothing (as in universal health care) yet don't mind spending their and my tax dollars on spreading death and destruction in the world? I CANNOT for the life of me get this. I try to explain to them that MY tax dollars are going to support said death and destruction and that I am highly opposed to this, yet it just goes straight over their heads. I tell them I would rather err on the side of life than death. I tell them that if I had $100 in my pocket and a "welfare queen" with too many kids or some military person wanting to bomb innocents were standing in front of me wanting my money, I would give the $100 to the "welfare queen" in the interest of LIFE. And this is the party of pro life people?

What is up with these people (or that one)? It would be nice not to lose two friends in the next ten days. Can anyone rational help me understand the RW mindset?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 05:33 PM

543 posts, read 1,456,278 times
Well I'll try to address your gross generalizations. In regards to health care, it's just this: the US has the best healthcare system, if you socialize healthcare, it will destroy the quality of our healthcare. It's been proven in other countries. If you want to wait 6mths for a procedure, wait in longer lines than we already are, then fine support Obama.

About the war, we see things differently, unlike you I am glad that the military men and women are out there protecting our country. Many people, including your friends probably, understand why we had to do what we're doing. And, no I would not want to give my hard earned money to a lazy person who has baby after baby, when I am saving for college for my children and trying to make ends meet.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
Well I'll try to address your gross generalizations. In regards to health care, it's just this: the US has the best healthcare system, if you socialize healthcare, it will destroy the quality of our healthcare. It's been proven in other countries. If you want to wait 6mths for a procedure, wait in longer lines than we already are, then fine support Obama.

About the war, we see things differently, unlike you I am glad that the military men and women are out there protecting our country. Many people, including your friends probably, understand why we had to do what we're doing. And, no I would not want to give my hard earned money to a lazy person who has baby after baby, when I am saving for college for my children and trying to make ends meet.
Just for starters, not according to this:

The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems

Old 10-25-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post

And now to elaborate, just HOW are they protecting our country? Back it up. And no, the only thing my RW friends care about is someone getting something for nothing, which has nothing to do with national defense.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:44 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Just for starters, not according to this:
Well, true, we do rank near the bottom amongst developed countries (and behind some that aren't) in terms of many variables associated with quality health care, but look on the bright side...we do PAY more for it than anyone else in the world...

Last edited by saganista; 10-25-2008 at 05:59 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 05:50 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,396 times
I recently was with my, brother & sister in law, sister, brother in law, niece & her husband and they were talking about McCain and I said I would never vote for him.
I was attacked like never before. I couldn’t believe what they were saying. They started on an anti Obama rant like it was rehearsed. The usual talk show talking points. Then when I got them somewhat settled down, I asked what they liked about McCain and they didn’t have anything. They in fact didn’t like much about him at all. They were only voting for him because he was a republican.
Pathetic if you ask me.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Well, true, we do rank near the bottom amongst developed countries (and behind some that aren't) in terms of many variables associated with qaulity health care, but look on the bright side...we do PAY more for it than anyone else in the world...
Well, there ya have it! That American optimism and "in the know." Which is why we are a falling Empire (in case anyone on the right side of the aisle is not aware of our status)

BTW, Saganista, I agree, but then the truth is somewhat HARD to disagree with.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:06 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
BTW, Saganista, I agree, but then the truth is somewhat HARD to disagree with.
Nonsense. How hard can it be if millions of right-wingers can do it every single day...

Old 10-25-2008, 06:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
What is up with right wingers?
Nothing's up with "right wingers." I'm just sitting here drinking wine and eating cheese.

Quote:
I try to explain to them that MY tax dollars are going to support said death and destruction and that I am highly opposed to this, yet it just goes straight over their heads.
It doesn't just go "straight over their heads."

They see you for the hypocrite that you are. You are "highly opposed" yet you benefit every minute of every day from the very thing that you "highly oppose."

If you are so "highly opposed" then you can impress the hell out of them by proving it doing these things:

1) If both you and your spouse work, one of you quit your job.

2) Get rid of all of your cars except one.

3) Get rid of your credit cards or at least reduce the total balance for all cards to just 1% - 2% of your monthly income (which has now been reduced if either you or your spouse quit working).

4) Start paying cash for everything.

5) Start putting at least 10% of your monthly income in the bank.

6) Significantly reduce your consumption of consumer and material goods.

7) Then pray that you continue to have a job.

You don't want to fight the war in Iraq, yet you won't voluntarily reduce your consumption.

The war in Iraq is just a stepping stone to the next stepping stone (Iran or Baluchistan) that will lead to a goal (Central Asia) which will lead to a bigger goal (the eastern Russian republics).

If you don't do that, you won't have to worry about voluntarily reducing your consumption, because it will be forced upon you whether you like it or not and your only way out will probably be WW III.

I guess it never donned on you that your $14.5 Trillion GDP (which is why you have a job and all of your materialistic trinkets) is inextricably tied to your consumption of the 29% of the world's non-oil resources that you rape from the Earth every day.

In order for your GDP to grow to $15 Trillion, $16 Trillion and $20 Trillion to employ everyone, you're going to have to increase your resource consumption even higher to 30% to 40%.

That puts tremendous pressure on commodities and drives prices up. That's why there's a "cold war" over Central Asia. Whoever controls it controls the world for the next 2 centuries.

And if the US does not control it, you will be cut out of all the riches that are there and your standard of living will rapidly decline.

Personally, I don't care. A 1910 or 1920s standard of living suits me fine. I don't think it would get that bad, but for those of you who didn't like the 1960s, you'll have a hard time.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies