Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:51 PM

425 posts, read 665,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I think there'd actually be more than two countries if the U.S. split up. Northern New England on its own (VT, NH, ME). Southern New England on its own, NY by itself (who wants it), the Southern states together, CA either by itself or with WA and OR, AK by itself, MT, ID, WY and some others together, IL and WI together, undecided where PA, MI, OH, etc. would go.
I'm thinking the Amish may want PA for their own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 08:51 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varangian View Post
Geography.

You have places like say -- El Paso TX, which is almost all blue, but the rest of Texas is red. What happens to them? They have to agree to move? I doubt they're going to go willingly.
My daughter and her family live in San Antonio and they are rabid Obama supporters....and I hear they aren't the only ones there. So....out of luck.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:52 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
They'd probably kick out Philly and Pittsburgh.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:54 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varangian View Post
Geography.

You have places like say -- El Paso TX, which is almost all blue, but the rest of Texas is red. What happens to them? They have to agree to move? I doubt they're going to go willingly.
And there were Czechs and Slovaks scattered around a bit too. The lefties in urban areas would simply be a minority, not leading to the near 50/50 division we see today in the U.S. Or we could chop some cities out too. The different countries could still be allied and allow free travel between each other, just seperate politically.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
How about Democrats get the states that go Democratic in this election, and Republicans get the states that go Republican. Seems fair.
Not unless we in NY get to cut off NYC and south and float it into the Atlantic Ocean. Maybe Westchester county as well.

For those who do not know it, the state of NY is very red on the electoral maps, but NYC will always ( by virtue of sheer size and # of bodies) turn it blue.

If I was going to assign states, I would assign by the % of land voting in a party: The country would basically be Republican and Dems would be stuck in islands ( cities). The majority of land would be left to the people.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:57 PM

109 posts, read 242,922 times
From victorianpunk's thread and victorianpunk's map:

Old 11-01-2008, 08:58 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
The Amish are too smart for that; PA is getting expensive and many are coming to the southern tier of Western NY to get great deals on farms which have basically been abandoned and lain fallow for quite a while. No reason to want overpriced land when there is land which is cheaper a bit north.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:59 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
Absolutely do not agree. Are you looking for another Civil War........war between the states? They do say history repeats itself!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:00 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,251,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean283 View Post
From victorianpunk's thread and victorianpunk's map:
OK, you got me...I laughed. Must be past my bedtime because I'm giddy.

This is NOT a funny topic...I hope we become more cohesive as a country once this election is over. We face huge problems that need to get fixed, together.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:00 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Check the polls some. We're united in name only.

Did you ever consider that you are in a very tiny minority that thinks this way. You do not speak for this country. You only speak for yourself. And I have a very strong idea that you are just mad because you think the wrong side won in the last War Between the States and you want a do-over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies