Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:20 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,549,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
You might enjoy reading Molon Labe if you haven't already. It's a novel centered around the secession of Wyoming. The author discusses the constitutionality and practicality of doing something along those lines as well as all sorts of other interesting things. The content is well researched. There's even a Free State Wyoming project now, though I'm not sure how popular it is.
Read it, good book...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 01:37 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,503,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
The Traditional States of America:

This country could consist of WV, NC, SC, GA, KY, TN, AL, MS, TX, OK, KS, AR, MO.
God, how I would love it if we could be rid of you guys. I'll sign a petition for that any time.

We'd have to make a few alterations to the map, e.g. trade St. Louis for Cincinnati, etc.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:25 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,724,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
God, how I would love it if we could be rid of you guys. I'll sign a petition for that any time.

We'd have to make a few alterations to the map, e.g. trade St. Louis for Cincinnati, etc.

This is my exact point; something both libs and cons can agree on. You guys can have a nation built of secular fundamentalist principals; i.e income redistribution, universal healthcare for all, abortion on demand, free education from pre K-college, ban on all hand guns except for hunting, affirmative action, ratification of Kyoto Protocal and what ever liberal policies you see fit to make the country you want it to be.

We in turn can have a nation that respects all life, fair tax, Judeo-Christian values, a Martin Luther King Jr. policy on race, strict border security, no federal reserve, but return to gold standard, pro-business, pro growth, etc.

This country is too divided and will only become more so. We will never be united again. It's a win/win.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:01 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,119,114 times
Quote:
This is my exact point; something both libs and cons can agree on. You guys can have a nation built of secular fundamentalist principals; i.e income redistribution, universal healthcare for all, abortion on demand, free education from pre K-college, ban on all hand guns except for hunting, affirmative action, ratification of Kyoto Protocal and what ever liberal policies you see fit to make the country you want it to be.

We in turn can have a nation that respects all life, fair tax, Judeo-Christian values, a Martin Luther King Jr. policy on race, strict border security, no federal reserve, but return to gold standard, pro-business, pro growth, etc.

This country is too divided and will only become more so. We will never be united again. It's a win/win.
I completely agree Sonrise...I think we'd all gladly be rid of each other. We'll need that border security too, all the libs will be clamoring for our wealth when they've implemented their "trickle up poverty" economic plan.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:05 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,528,208 times
Can you do secede on Christmas? I won't ask for anything else

Old 11-05-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Can you do secede on Christmas? I won't ask for anything else
Short notice but we'll aim for it.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:46 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,610,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yes! Secession is the answer! There's no legitimate argument for why almost half this country should be under the control of those diametrically opposed to their interests.
It's been that way for eight years now, but before it was a different set making this same complaint.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's been that way for eight years now, but before it was a different set making this same complaint.
I have had few good things to say about the feds, for a long time. The obomination just is the last straw.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:27 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,610,567 times
Quote:
You guys can have a nation built of secular fundamentalist principals; i.e income redistribution, universal healthcare for all, abortion on demand, free education from pre K-college, ban on all hand guns except for hunting, affirmative action, ratification of Kyoto Protocal and what ever liberal policies you see fit to make the country you want it to be.
Whoa....time out. What does any of that have to do with secular government? All it means is that church and state is separate, the way it should be. And what the hell is a "secular fundamentalist?"

Old 11-05-2008, 04:33 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,503,460 times
Quote:
This is my exact point; something both libs and cons can agree on.
I do agree with you. There are some good sites like secession.net that have links to pro-secession groups and movements. There is already a Christian independence group based in SC, a libertarian movement in NH, and as far as I can tell a greenish lefty movement in VT, as well as aboriginal independence groups in AK and HI. We both ought to do everything we can to support all of these. Wouldn't it be a delicious irony if the left and right came together in their desire to split? Kind of like a married couple that starts getting along better when they realize a divorce is inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies