Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 09:40 AM

175 posts, read 439,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Don't let your personal judgements continue to lead you to totally moronic statements. Because you don't agree with something doesn't automatically make it right. Just as bolding doesn't make you seem smarter... it makes it seem like you are yelling... that means "freaking out" which relates to a non-coherent state of mind. And I know you want to make it seem like you know what you're talking about.. so you can stop bolding. And in relation to discrimination, that's exactly what democracy is to those who lose. In a vote, people win and people lose. Those who lose believe they are right, or else they wouldn't have voted the way they did. If your side of the vote had passed, there would be those who voted on the other side who think it's wrong, and you would be Miss Highandmighty. Unfortunately, most people (as proven by the pole) don't agree with you. Stop pouting, realize that you are NOT in the majority, and wait until you are and vote again.

Rathagos, I couldn't agree more than what you wrote! Tristan's mom might as well be for incest and other weird marriages. These pro-gay people act like they are so opened minded and they actually think it's basically okay to do anything. But when we give an opinion, we are bigots. So laim and illogical! Good job again Rathagos!

If you are so for rights.. then you are for the Waco nutcases, the FLDS people, voluntary incest and other things, right? No one was getting hurt in any of those cases. The fact that a nine year old girl agreed to marry and have sex with a 30 year old is her right. That's what you're saying, right? You are saying that a father and daughter have the right to marry, right? You are all for people deciding their own fate. A simple "yes" or "no" would suffice, but I bet you will try to spin your way out of this. Enlightened... you? No.. far from it I'm afraid. You are opinionated, and there's nothing wrong with that. But please don't confuse it with enlightened... there's a BIG difference.

It did at the time, didn't it? And, in time, the general population may agree that gays and lesbians can get married (and, indeed, in some states they can, still). But, that's a democracy. I'll try to say this again slowly so you understand it. This... is... a ... democracy...where... people... vote. They voted, right or wrong, that's their right. You are so for rights, but only when it appeases you. If you are for rights, you should back up the rights of the majority who implimented their guaranteed right to vote. But you want to trample their rights for others. There's a paradox you can't talk your way out of.

That's because the majority of states don't face the issue yet at the level it is in many other states. Some are being proactive so it doesn't become an issue. Others are skirting it because they don't know where to go with it. It is a very controversial subject. Hopefully, you will give some thought to protecting the rights of the majority of people. These states will deal with the issue soon enough. And once the majority of states have addressed it, it will become a national issue. And in the end, one of two things is likely to happen: first, gays/lesbians will be given the right to marry; or, they won't. You can't wish your way to a victory. If Barack Obama had run for President in the 1800's, he probably wouldn't have won. Give it time.

So is overriding the vote of the majority. You have to get one thing straight. I hear what you're saying. I, personally, don't agree with gay/lesbian relationships let alone marrying. But, like you said, it comes down to rights. I live in Texas. If we vote here, I will vote to have it not happen. But, if they win, I won't whine like a sniveling idiot. It would be obviously what most people agreed with.

But, if you argue rights, you have to go all the way. People have a right to marry kids (if the kids and their parents agree). They have a right to marry a pet. They have a right to marry a mother or father. They have a right to marry a brother or sister. You can't pick and choose what rights people will have or you become a hypcrite of the very fight you are waging here. You will set standards based on YOUR beliefs.

Maybe, if not today, gays and lesbians will win a fight for their rights. When that day comes, they can celebrate and you can join in. But that day is not yet. Not today. And calling those that don't agree with the lifestyle names (ignorant, not enlightened, homophobes, etc.) is as dumb and moronic themselves as saying those that didn't vote for Obama are all racist.

I couldn't agree more with this Rathagos! Good post with logical comeback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 09:42 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Hey TM...could you please stop bolding your entire post? It's hard to read. I mean c'mon...bolding is for emphasis!

Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 AM

175 posts, read 439,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I've already answered you quesitons.

If people want tomarry more than one person..what do I care.. them marrying more than one person when all people are consenting doesnt' harm me.. i don't believe in it and think it's wrong.. but who am I to put my beliefs on someone else.

Incest,however, harms and that's why it is not allowed.. it harms any potential unborn child and the gene pool of the human race.

My attitude stinks.... LOL.. that's a joke..

You are all the ones taking away someone's rights because you happen to not agree with them and I have the bad attitude??

Then again.. I suppose all those that were for slavery thought those that felt that slavery was wrong had bad attitudes too!

What a joke...

Lol!!!! Calling us bigots for disagreeing with you??????????? And you say that's not a bad attitude? Don't know what world your in. Acting like you are extremely open-minded and accepting! When you can't even handle other's opinion.s.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Now THIS is a good point. What's the old adage? "You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar?"

I challenge anyone to go back to any of my posts and tell me where I said marriage between homosexuals would hurt me in any way. I challenge anyone to go back and find in my posts where I said I base my decision against gay/lesbian marriages on a religious foundation.

I have said I don't agree with the lifestyle. No different than people not agreeing with a lifestyle of people spending more than they earn, plain and simple. Doesn't make me right... doesn't make me wrong. Last I checked I have the right to believe in what I do (as to gays, lesbians, and everyone else). But when asked to vote on my beliefs, I also have the right to do that without consternation.

The implication that I'm an idiot because I invoked my right by someone who's screaming that I'm defying rights is ludicrous!

Good point to be brought out, Thunderbomb. Let them treat us more nicely, and they will make more friends than enemies. It's like saying "I voted against bullying" and someone physically beating me up to change my mind.

Plain and simple.. gays marrying and wanting the right and expressing the right to do so doesn't harm your rights to feel how you feel.

However, you bringing your bigot vote to the ballot has removed THEIR equal rights.

That's what you can't grasp.. Believe what you want.. but when what YOU believe then removes someone else's rights.. YOU ARE WRONG!! Plain and simple.

IF a gay person is allwoed to marry.. you are still allowed to think it's wrongl..LOL. their marrying doesn't take away your right to think its wrong!!

However.. YOUR vote took away THEIR rights that they deserve just as equally as you..

THat is a concept you can't grasp!!!

I've found so many ridiculous contradictinos in your arguments is hillarious.. you say you don't vote on hypotheticals but in teh same breath you bring up a hypothetical situation.

Try bringing better arguments.. the initial question you were TRYING to answer is how does a gay union harm you!!! YOU ANSWERED or tried..and then say exactly what my point is.

Gay unions do not harm you!! PERIOD.. LOL You can't answer that question..because you NOW say that it doesn't.. so why take away their right to do so? Simply because you don't like them.

Hey.. there are some groups of people I dont' particularly care for.. does that give me the right to take away their rights.. HELL NO!

THere as much entitled to their rights as I am or you are.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbomb82 View Post
Lol!!!! Calling us bigots for disagreeing with you??????????? And you say that's not a bad attitude? Don't know what world your in. Acting like you are extremely open-minded and accepting! When you can't even handle other's opinion.s.
Hah..here's the difference.

I can handle that you disagree with the gay lifestlye..
My PROBLEM is that your "disagreeing" is taking away someone else's rights..

So..if you dont' like black people that gives you the right to vote to take away their rights. If you don't like Muslims.. that gives you the right to take away their rights.

You are entitled to yoru opinion about the gay lifestlye..I dont' care nor am I taking that away from you.

My problem is when what YOU believe affects someone else's life.. like YOUR belief and your vote against proposition 8 is affecting someoen else's rights simply becaues you don't like what they are..

That is the difference between a bigot and an open minded person.. I can not undrestand or condone a certain lifestyle..b ut who am I to tell someone else what is right or wrong and take away their rights as a result of what i feel is right or wrong.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
So, you do support incest marriages then?
I do. I believe preserving individual rights of the people is more important than than preserving cultural orthodoxy. Unless you can show convincingly that general and widespread harm to the community arises from a few incest marriages here and there.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:57 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I do. I believe preserving individual rights of the people is more important than than preserving cultural orthodoxy. Unless you can show convincingly that general and widespread harm to the community arises from a few incest marriages here and there.
I do not surmise that at all. I have had several proponents of gay/lesbian marriages espouse that it is wrong for incest and/or underage marriages. My argument was they, then, become hypocrits for passing rights of one minority while holding back those same rights for others.

As I've firmly stated before, I'm against the lifestyle. I am also against an incestuous lifestyle as I am underage marriage lifestyles. And the only way I can express that when pressed is through voting.

52% of a state said they disapprove of marriage. But, that's not good enough. I don't think anyone has argued it's right or not. They just don't agree with it.

Maybe in 5 years, or 10 years or 100 years peoples opinions will change. But calling people names and blaming them for their beliefs (based on anything, regardless of whether it's religious or not) is not going to make someone go "Oh... I'm a bigot.. okay.. I'll change my vote."

Old 11-07-2008, 10:00 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,557 times
Simple its the whole...you know....sex thing...

GROSS!

oh..and the fact that the so-called self styled "gay" people are CONSTANTLY PUSHING THEIR AGENDA ON EVERYONE ELSE!

That has a great deal to do with it.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:00 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times
Regardless of my personal feelings about the ability of gays to marry, the bigger issue here is respecting the rule of law. Tuesday's vote was not a unilateral directive from a politician but an expression of the will of the people. Our country was founded on the right of its citizens to express their opinions on how things should be and when a majority of those people express a preference for a particular viewpoint by casting their votes, then the results must be respected and abided by.

Kate Kendell, executive director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, said, "You simply can't do something like this - take away a fundamental right at the ballot." But she is exactly wrong - that is precisely how law is made and changed, at the ballot. Just because we might disagree with the outcome is no reason to set aside the decisions made by a majority of the voters.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:05 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Plain and simple.. gays marrying and wanting the right and expressing the right to do so doesn't harm your rights to feel how you feel.However, you bringing your bigot vote to the ballot has removed THEIR equal rights.

That's what you can't grasp.. Believe what you want.. but when what YOU believe then removes someone else's rights.. YOU ARE WRONG!! Plain and simple. IF a gay person is allwoed to marry.. you are still allowed to think it's wrongl..LOL. their marrying doesn't take away your right to think its wrong!!

However.. YOUR vote took away THEIR rights that they deserve just as equally as you..THat is a concept you can't grasp!!!

I've found so many ridiculous contradictinos in your arguments is hillarious.. you say you don't vote on hypotheticals but in teh same breath you bring up a hypothetical situation. Try bringing better arguments.. the initial question you were TRYING to answer is how does a gay union harm you!!! YOU ANSWERED or tried..and then say exactly what my point is.

Gay unions do not harm you!! PERIOD.. LOL You can't answer that question..because you NOW say that it doesn't.. so why take away their right to do so? Simply because you don't like them. Hey.. there are some groups of people I dont' particularly care for.. does that give me the right to take away their rights.. HELL NO! THere as much entitled to their rights as I am or you are.
Okay... first of all.. stop with the bigot. You're a bigot for saying those of us that don't think of you as a goddess are bigots. So, stop the stupid, immature name callling. The only reason I'm addressing this is to one LAST time make you think intelligently instead of a "save the whales" seven-year-old in addressing my posts.

First of all.. there are NO contradictions in my posts. So you've pointed nothing of the kind out. Quit stroking yourself.

Do you agree I have a right to vote or not? Does it really matter what I base my vote on? If you vote on gun control, one way or the other, you vote on your beliefs... regardless of the foundation. It doesn't make your vote any less valid.

You are trying to take away my right to vote based on your notion of what is right or wrong. In my way of thinking, that's hypocritical, and takes away any foundation you have to stand on. But I'll indulge your rantings even further.

You keep arguing that gay or lesbian marriages don't hurt me in any way. My point is two fold. First: I never said that. I challenge you to find out where I ever said it did. Secondly, it doesn't matter. I have the right to vote without even having to know what the topic is.

Let me reiterate the bottom line one last time in an effort to reach through: Your original post said "Why are you against it?" I said "Because I don't approve of the lifestyle." I didn't say they don't have rights. I didn't say they can't do that. I didn't say it's because it will harm me.

You don't have to agree with my vote, but you have to respect if as MY right to cast it as I see fit. If you want reasons (as you asked) shut up and listen. If you want to debate the morality of it, start another thread.

Done here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies