Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" ???
Merry Christmas! 175 59.93%
Happy Holidays! 38 13.01%
I don't care! 79 27.05%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:34 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,727,913 times

Advertisements

Christmas is almost upon us... what sort of seasonal greeting/farewell do you use? "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" ?

I personally make an effort to say MERRY CHRISTMAS to people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:37 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,185,261 times
Frankly, a person could say anything to either effect. It really is the thought that matters when it comes to seasonal cheer. For anybody to get offended is rather uncouth.

It's the thought, not the words, that count.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:38 AM

594 posts, read 1,045,433 times
I say "Merry Christmas." You don't like it, bite me.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:41 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,409,581 times
It really, really doesn't matter. To be honest, if I really thought about it, I tend to say "Merry Christmas" to friends and family and some version of "Happy Holidays" to business associates. (Or sometimes nothing at all. I work in a fairly international field, so I'm regularly having meetings and conversations with people in Israel, India, etc. Rather than look like an idiot, I sometimes just leave it out altogether.)

I think all the fake outrage over "Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas" is pretty tiresome, though.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:51 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,866,121 times
I try and respect other people's religion or non religion, knowing that my religion is not the only religion practiced in this world. So if I speak to someone I know that shares the same religion as me I say "Merry Christmas". If I know that a person does not share my religion I say "Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings" If I do not know the person at all, again I say "Happy Holidays, or Season's Greetings" or I will repeat what they have just said if they greet first.

As long as I wished a person well or happy greetings with a smile this time of year, who really cares what I say. It's the thought that I wished them well that matters.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:56 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,147,703 times
Somewhat related: I hate Christmas. I wish it would go away.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:58 AM

594 posts, read 1,045,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Somewhat related: I hate Christmas. I wish it would go away.
I hope Rudolph poops down your chimney.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:58 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,584,141 times
I could care less.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:02 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,727,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I try and respect other people's religion or non religion, knowing that my religion is not the only religion practiced in this world. So if I speak to someone I know that shares the same religion as me I say "Merry Christmas". If I know that a person does not share my religion I say "Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings" If I do not know the person at all, again I say "Happy Holidays, or Season's Greetings" or I will repeat what they have just said if they greet first.
That is nice and all but this is America, and like it or not there are more Christians here than any other religion... Christmas is a big part of our culture. I don't understand why anyone would consider any sort of greeting as offensive, that's just ridiculous to me. I am an advocate of "Merry Christmas" mainly because I am disgusted with how it's commercialization has been the main culprit in bringing about this "Happy Holidays!" pc bullcrap and the other reason is well... it is actually Christmas time and none all this joy and happiness would exist if that were not so.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:09 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,409,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
That is nice and all but this is America, and like it or not there are more Christians here than any other religion... Christmas is a big part of our culture. I don't understand why anyone would consider any sort of greeting as offensive, that's just ridiculous to me. I am an advocate of "Merry Christmas" mainly because I am disgusted with how it's commercialization has been the main culprit in bringing about this "Happy Holidays!" pc bullcrap and the other reason is well... it is actually Christmas time and none all this joy and happiness would exist if that were not so.
So what's the big deal? I think all the commercialization sucks, too, but I think there's as much commercialization behind the worlds "Merry Christmas" as the words "Happy Holidays".

"Happy Holidays" tries to expand the market by keeping things inclusive and lumping in Hanukkah, et al., with Christmas.

There are many, MANY outlets, however, that have commercialized Christmas itself, "Merry Christmas" and all, and have used it as a sales tool. Equally insidious.

Scapegoating those who use a general greeting ignores the bigger problem of a nice, family-centered holiday into a sales tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies