Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think That Obama's Eligibility Issue Has Any Merit?
YES 102 35.92%
NO 182 64.08%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:19 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,304,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
Just so i understand this entire argument, Someone born in the United States is not a "natural born citizen" if their parents were not born here as well?
That is correct. To be a "natural born citizen", a status in which both the President and Vice President must be, must be born in the U.S. or one of its territories (John McCain does not meet this test because he was born in a hospital in Panama), and both parents must be U.S. citizens when the child is born. Therefore, even if Barrack Obama was born in Hawaii, as he claims, he fails the test of both parents being U.S. citizens.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:46 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,479 times
Constitutional Topic: Citizenship - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Who is a natural-born citizen? Who, in other words, is a citizen at birth, such that that person can be a President someday?

Currently, Title 8 of the U.S. Code fills in those gaps. Section 1401 defines the following as people who are "citizens of the United States at birth:"

1. Anyone born inside the United States *

Old 03-16-2009, 04:52 PM

707 posts, read 1,022,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
That is correct. To be a "natural born citizen", a status in which both the President and Vice President must be, must be born in the U.S. or one of its territories (John McCain does not meet this test because he was born in a hospital in Panama), and both parents must be U.S. citizens when the child is born. Therefore, even if Barrack Obama was born in Hawaii, as he claims, he fails the test of both parents being U.S. citizens.

Where is that written in the constitution. I just looked at the 14th amendment and found nothing stating that both parents must be US Citizens, it states that the parents have to reside in the Untied States for the child to be considered natural born citizen. This is a moot point considering his mother was born and resided in the US, his father was attending school in the US. However i know there has been several attempts to answer the question concerning illegal immigrants coming to america for the sole purpose of delivering their child in america.

Maybe i'm missing something, where is this written?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:33 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,109 times
Quote:
Where is that written in the constitution. I just looked at the 14th amendment and found nothing stating that both parents must be US Citizens, it states that the parents have to reside in the Untied States for the child to be considered natural born citizen. This is a moot point considering his mother was born and resided in the US, his father was attending school in the US. However i know there has been several attempts to answer the question concerning illegal immigrants coming to america for the sole purpose of delivering their child in america.

The Constitution does not really define "natural born citizen." Kooter is looking at precedent and some court cases for his definition. However, the Supreme Court, if they hear any of these cases, can define "natural born citizen," and I suspect the definition would make President Obama a natural born citizen.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:

Article II, Section 1, Clause 5 (I think) of the U.S. Constitution.

A child of a two American citizens who is born on U.S. soil is eligible to be President.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
The Constitution does not really define "natural born citizen." Kooter is looking at precedent and some court cases for his definition. However, the Supreme Court, if they hear any of these cases, can define "natural born citizen," and I suspect the definition would make President Obama a natural born citizen.
And case law, e.g. United States v. Wong Kim Ark

"...they said, in their holding that Wong Kim Ark was a “citizen”. They never said he was a “natural born citizen.” They could have said that but they didn’t. Furthermore, in Justice Gray’s discussion of the “Minor” case, it was explained that a NBC [natural born citizen] was a person born in the U.S. to parents (plural - meaning both parents) who were (verb - plural use vs singular use) citizens (plural - meaning both)…"

Last edited by Kootr; 03-16-2009 at 05:59 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 05:53 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,479 times
Quote:
Article II, Section 1, Clause 5 (I think) of the U.S. Constitution.

A child of a two American citizens who is born on U.S. soil is eligible to be President.

Can you post a link? I can't see where it says anything about parents.

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/c...ion/article02/

Old 03-16-2009, 05:54 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,349,309 times
There is no precedent to support Kooter's view. Precedent supports being born in US makes one a natural born citizen. The birthers misread the cases and rewrite the Constitution in their minds to support their needs.

Here's an excellent timeline on natural born citizenship: Natural Born Timeline | Obama Conspiracy Theories

Old 03-16-2009, 05:59 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,805 times
Quote:
And case law, e.g. United States v. Wong Kim Ark

"...they said, in their holding that Wong Kim Ark was a “citizen”. They never said he was a “natural born citizen.” They could have said that but they didn’t. Furthermore, in Justice Gray’s discussion of the “Minor” case, it was explained that a NBC [natural born citizen] was a person born in the U.S. to parents (plural - meaning both parents) who were (verb - plural use vs singular use) citizens (plural - meaning both)…"
My advice...

If you have ANY itention of going to law school to become a lawyer - DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
My advice...

If you have ANY itention of going to law school to become a lawyer - DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB!!!
Day job! What day job? Law school! That was well over the decades ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies