Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:46 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times

Advertisements

The American dead in Iraq is a heart-rending tragedy. If we wanted to "get Saddam" because we genuinely believed he might incinerate the whole region, then THAT much was accomplished LONG ago. The man was hunted down, brought to trial, and quickly 'dispatched' by his furious former victims.

The subsequent tragic deaths of Americans in Iraq simply shows that perhaps the Iraq is not ready for any great societal change, and that we ought to act as the world's 'default' policeman (SOMEBODY should), but not 'Social Engineers'. The world will install democracy when the local people feel the need. Our interest should be in security, not 'changing hearts and minds'. That's not a job for the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 09:50 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The American dead in Iraq is a heart-rending tragedy. If we wanted to "get Saddam" because we genuinely believed he might incinerate the whole region, then THAT much was accomplished LONG ago. The man was hunted down, brought to trial, and quickly 'dispatched' by his furious former victims.

The subsequent tragic deaths of Americans in Iraq simply shows that perhaps the Iraq is not ready for any great societal change, and that we ought to act as the world's 'default' policeman (SOMEBODY should), but not 'Social Engineers'. The world will install democracy when the local people feel the need. Our interest should be in security, not 'changing hearts and minds'. That's not a job for the military.
Agree with much of your statement mac but I am not sure we need to be the world policemen any more. More often than not that just irritates the region where we intrude upon (as well as most of the world) and causes unintentional blowback for us down the road. Time to mind our own business. Again.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:09 AM

172 posts, read 279,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Well, they followed the orders of an idiotic president AND congress.... If they didn't want to follow the lemmings over the cliff, they shouldn't have... the age of "I was just following orders" is over.... be your own brain...
Spoken like a man who has not the slightest incling as to how our military operates.

Every man and woman serving has signed a contract stating that they will obey the orders of those appointed over them. We are prepared to pay with our life when carrying out these orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
the age of "I was just following orders" is over.... be your own brain...

Not over yet. When America falls to another power then and only then would I agree with this ridiculous statement. There will be a day where your freedom will depend on those willing to follow orders they may or may not agree with.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

I agree with much of what you say....

To the bolded portion:

It's not that simple!

The majority of Iraqi's want democracy. A country has to have the means to install democracy; hard to do when you're oppressed by a tyrant who posseses the means to hault any attempt for freedom by it's people.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I realize it would be pointless to ask any of the war's supporters to try and justify all the Iraqi dead since the invasion but I wonder how those in favor of the war in Iraq can justify all these Americans coming home in caskets.

Is it because you think:

1) The cause is just
2) The war was a mistake, but we have to "finish the job"
3) ___________ (other)

Just wondering

(For the record, I think even one dead American is one too many. Therefore I have never tried to reconcile any of these deaths as justified. I believe they are all in vain.)
I wouldn't attempt to justify the war in Iraq at all (not yet anyway's).

I will say this though....

Only history will be able to show whether or not the sacrifice of the few will out weigh the benefits of many. 25 years from now Iraq may be a completely secure country where people are free to express themselves any way they see fit. If this happnes it would be hard for me to say that we didn't do something good for the people of Iraq and for the stability of the middle east. It's far too early for me to try and justify anything.

FWIW I was opposed to invading Iraq when we did. I thought it was the wrong time and felt that the sanctions and UN inspection's were keeping Saddam in check.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,525,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mo's View Post
I agree with much of what you say....

To the bolded portion:

It's not that simple!

The majority of Iraqi's want democracy. A country has to have the means to install democracy; hard to do when you're oppressed by a tyrant who posseses the means to hault any attempt for freedom by it's people.
So according to you, our mssion in Iraq was to install democracy, not to find the WMDs. So when are we going to attack Saudi Arabia?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
So according to you, our mssion in Iraq was to install democracy, not to find the WMDs. So when are we going to attack Saudi Arabia?
Where did I say this?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Well, Obama is in and we're still in Iraq, people are still dying. I know, I know, it's all okay now because it's Obama in power now.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:21 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,292,323 times
We thought they had WMD's and links to Al Qaeda so we went in. At the very least we are fighting them over there as opposed to sitting here allowing them to be on toe offensive.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:45 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,462,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
We thought they had WMD's and links to Al Qaeda so we went in. At the very least we are fighting them over there as opposed to sitting here allowing them to be on toe offensive.
Yes, but that was 6 years ago. More important is why are we still there now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies