Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:07 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,292,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Yes, but that was 6 years ago. More important is why are we still there now?

I would say so the Iraqis could get the SH%T straight and be able to run their own country. Hey I would love nothing more than to get the hell out of that place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 03:36 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Well, Obama is in and we're still in Iraq, people are still dying. I know, I know, it's all okay now because it's Obama in power now.
It seems that we will remain in Iraq for at least 2 years +. Where is the outrage from the Left?

Old 02-08-2009, 04:09 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
It seems that we will remain in Iraq for at least 2 years +. Where is the outrage from the Left?
I don't think so. I read a few recent accounts on Iraq (elections and internal struggles) and we may be faced with an official invitation to leave sooner. What can/should we do if the official and democratically elected government of Iraq tells us to leave?

Old 02-08-2009, 04:16 PM

504 posts, read 902,727 times
Iraq Veterans Against the War

Old 02-08-2009, 04:29 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Agree with much of your statement mac but I am not sure we need to be the world policemen any more. More often than not that just irritates the region where we intrude upon (as well as most of the world) and causes unintentional blowback for us down the road. Time to mind our own business. Again.
I hear what you're saying...and it SOUNDS appealing. Just can't get past my own paranoia, I guess. I'm a believer in the "power vacuum" theory, and as you know, vacuums are 'abhorred by nature', and they WILL be filled....by someone.

Given THAT, I guess I fear us 'pulling back'. As an old Navy man yourself, you know it's a LONG way from SE Asia to San Diego....and a long way, too, from Norfolk to the Persian Gulf. I'd like to keep an "eye" on these places....not because I'm 'nosy', but because if WE withdraw from those areas, somebody ELSE will show up....soon...and they'll be GLAD to step in. Bottom line? I'd be glad to have EVERYBODY 'pull out'...but that's not going to happen.

As far as our 'meddling' in internal affairs? "Making" people get along with their neighbors, even in their own countries? No, that's not our job. (Darfur comes to mind...HEARTBREAKING, mind-boggling, revolting...but there's absolutely NO possibility we could 'intervene' there at all, without having EVERYONE turn against US...so we wait, we watch, but we don't intervene)

Perhaps my phrase of "world policeman" should have been "world highway patrol officer"...or "world hall monitor". SOMEBODY is going to do it, and I prefer it be us.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:42 PM

172 posts, read 279,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I don't think so. I read a few recent accounts on Iraq (elections and internal struggles) and we may be faced with an official invitation to leave sooner. What can/should we do if the official and democratically elected government of Iraq tells us to leave?
That's simple enough to answer. We should leave.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:49 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mo's View Post
That's simple enough to answer. We should leave.
I agree with you, but apparently not everyone does. Some may want to put pressure on the Iraqi government to extend our stay there until... until what actually?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,576,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I realize it would be pointless to ask any of the war's supporters to try and justify all the Iraqi dead since the invasion but I wonder how those in favor of the war in Iraq can justify all these Americans coming home in caskets.

Is it because you think:

1) The cause is just
2) The war was a mistake, but we have to "finish the job"
3) ___________ (other)

Just wondering

(For the record, I think even one dead American is one too many. Therefore I have never tried to reconcile any of these deaths as justified. I believe they are all in vain.)
You are correct, even one dead American Soldier is a waste of our young blood.

Like General Patton said, "The object isn't to die for one's country, it is to make the other poor bastard die for his..."

To date, we have had more people killed in our major cities from Crime than the total lost in both the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters.

Then there is the other little ignored fact by the left, we haven't been attacked since 9/11. Where before that period, we were getting Americans killed en mass about every six months, again, more people than lost in our military. GWB, regardless if you like it or not, took the battle off our streets and put it in those that wish to harm us.

Now we are going to be running backwards with the new president, we will see if GWB's course was the correct one or not.

As for justifing our young coming home in caskets, they gave their life so stupid people could post such drivel because they have no knowledge of what America's hero's have done for them. I would concur with Patton, make war so terrible on those that harm us, that the enemy will lose the will to fight.

I suppose most of those that don't aggree will be really upset when the terrorist get a nuke and vaporize a major U.S. City. Which isn't too far away the way we are now heading on this new "Course".

Old 02-08-2009, 10:06 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post

To date, we have had more people killed in our major cities from Crime than the total lost in both the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters.
What a pitiful argument. Pitiful.

Quote:
Then there is the other little ignored fact by the left, we haven't been attacked since 9/11. Where before that period, we were getting Americans killed en mass about every six months, again, more people than lost in our military. GWB, regardless if you like it or not, took the battle off our streets and put it in those that wish to harm us.
Oh did he? So the people of Iraq wanted to do us harm? Funny, I bet if you asked them, they'd think just the opposite, that it was the U.S. that wanted to do them harm.

Quote:
As for justifing our young coming home in caskets, they gave their life so stupid people could post such drivel because they have no knowledge of what America's hero's have done for them.
You think these kids died so you can post on an internet forum? I'd suggest you flush out your headgear

Old 02-08-2009, 10:20 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
I would concur with Patton, make war so terrible on those that harm us, that the enemy will lose the will to fight.
This is the whole "bottom line", and what many of us today don't want to think about. In our naivete, we somehow envision a 'good' war, fought by 'nice' people, who do so without causing anyone to 'feel bad'. Sounds silly, but I'm convinced many of us think this way.

It's an illusion. Someone once wrote "the purpose of the military is to break things, destroy things, and kill people"..or words to that effect. It's not 'noble', it's not 'colorful', it SHOULD be a very LAST resort, to go to war. If you DO go, though, you MUST go to WIN. Nothing else is acceptable.

The military is to "blow things up" and make it so discouraging for the 'enemy' that he gives up, just as you (and Patton) say. The military is NOT designed to "win hearts and minds"..nor is its primary purpose to "make friends". It's purpose is to destroy the enemy's morale, by force.

It would be wel for us to remember this, and to NEVER go into a war without knowing what our objective is, and if we DO go, to WIN. Later on, once we 'win', we can send in the proper people to 'win hearts and minds'. In the process, we MAY even make some friends. But that's not why we go to war initially. We go to war to kill people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies