Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:31 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,269 times

Advertisements

President Signs Bill Lowering Salary of Secretary of State

December 19th, 2008
On December 19, President George W. Bush signed Senate Joint Resolution 46, which lowers the salary of the Secretary of State from $191,300 to $186,600. SJR 46 had been introduced in the U.S. Senate on December 10, and it passed unanimously that same day. The House passed it unanimously on December 12.

S. J. Res. 46 [110th]: A joint resolution ensuring that the compensation and other emoluments attached to the office of... (GovTrack.us)

Guess it must be another G. Bush plot.........since he signed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 12:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
"There is historic precedent for the director of the census, who works for the Commerce Secretary and the president, to work closely with White House senior management -- given the number of decisions that will have to be put before the president. We plan to return to that model in this administration." - WH spokesperson, lost the link
The Census director works within the pervue of the Commerce Department, which is under the authority of the Congress, not the President.

WHEN did Bush transfer the duties of the Census director DIRECTLY into and under control of the WH?

Old 02-09-2009, 12:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The Census director works within the pervue of the Commerce Department, which is under the authority of the Congress, not the President.

WHEN did Bush transfer the duties of the Census director DIRECTLY into and under control of the WH?
Is Congress going to deny that everyone in the US should be counted?

GWB - he didnt have to

I dont know why they chose Gregg for Commerce, but I guess they have their reasons.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

My god. Sanrene have you been taking civics lessons from Sarah Palin? Commerce like every other federal department, comes under the authority of the executive branch of government. The Sectary of Commerce is a Presidential appointment, the appointee is a member of the president's cabinet and serves at the sole pleasure of the President.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:02 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
My god. Sanrene have you been taking civics lessons from Sarah Palin? Commerce like every other federal department, comes under the authority of the executive branch of government. The Sectary of Commerce is a Presidential appointment, the appointee is a member of the president's cabinet and serves at the sole pleasure of the President.
The folks at freerepublic have gotten themselves into a tizzy over this, like it's some violation of the Constitution which always intended that the Department of Commerce be in charge of the census. Probably the same folks were complaining when the Air Force was split from the Army.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Probably the same folks were complaining when the Air Force was split from the Army.
Well I'm one of those.

Just a note for the historically and civics challenged. The U.S. Census Bureau wasn't established until 1903 (the same time the Department of Commerce was established) as a result, it missed the first 10 Constitutionally mandated censuses.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Have you ever bothered to read the Constitution?

U.S. Constitution - Article 1 Section 8 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Please, by all means, point it out.

U.S. Constitution - Article 2 Section 1 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Quote:
but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.
He is allowed to appoint cabinet heads - he does not have the authority to regulate/oversee Commerce or the census.

Point that out to me, please.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:48 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
I'm not so sure this one is a violation of the constitution, and honestly I'm not overly concerned with it. The one I'm waiting for is the 2nd ammendment. I am positive that there will be things done in the next 4 years that will violate the 2nd ammendment.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:54 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,298,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
In regards to what?

I don't get the point of the post other then a headline.
Reprecentation, welfare,etc. Obama quietly did this over the weekend so no one would notice.

Emanuel is not going to "count" the people. He is going to just estimate and there will be no way to undo what he has done.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:58 PM

They will stack the deck for democratic districts. They will funnel money to their favorite and most supportive states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies