Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Have you ever bothered to read the Constitution?

U.S. Constitution - Article 1 Section 8 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Please, by all means, point it out.

U.S. Constitution - Article 2 Section 1 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

He is allowed to appoint cabinet heads - he does not have the authority to regulate/oversee Commerce or the census.

Point that out to me, please.
The Department of Commerce is a department in the EXECUTIVE branch. It is not a legislative department. While Congress regulates commerce, it does so by passing laws (ie regulations) to control, monitor, or promote commerce. It is the job of the executive branch to implement and enforce those laws, therefore we have a Department of Commerce, headed by a Secretary of Commerce, which answers to the President, not to Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 04:03 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Reprecentation, welfare,etc. Obama quietly did this over the weekend so no one would notice.

Emanuel is not going to "count" the people. He is going to just estimate and there will be no way to undo what he has done.
Everyone has noticed.

Emanuel isnt the director of the census or a census taker. He doesnt juggle census numbers and estimate population (no one estimates population). He wants to be sure more people are counted than it's suspected were counted, toward the goal of gerrymandering, in the 2000 census.

The Rs are afraid this counting - which, if the WH has its way, would include people who were skipped last time and people who live and own businesses in non-R areas - will result in redistricting that's not advantageous to them. And so it might!

You've got to be fair and count everyone, which is what the WH wants to ensure. If the Rs want more people to be Republicans, they need to convince them them to become so - not cheat by pretending people dont exist.

These Rs fret about the unfairness of a Fairness Doctrine in media, but they have no problem unfairly weighting the scales when it comes to apportioning money.

Last edited by delusianne; 02-09-2009 at 04:13 PM..

Old 02-09-2009, 04:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Yes, I know it is an Executive department. My point is what you have stated - the law, regulations fall under the pervue of congress.

What Rahm and obama are doing is politicizing the Census Department.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Have you ever bothered to read the Constitution?

U.S. Constitution - Article 1 Section 8 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Please, by all means, point it out.

U.S. Constitution - Article 2 Section 1 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

He is allowed to appoint cabinet heads - he does not have the authority to regulate/oversee Commerce or the census.

Point that out to me, please.
Oh my god, do we really have to review 5th grade civics?

Ben's Guide (9-12): Branches of Government -- Executive Branch

Now print this and put it on your wall.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...69tx_xxx-3.pdf

Old 02-09-2009, 04:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Yes, I know it is an Executive department. My point is what you have stated - the law, regulations fall under the pervue of congress.

Nope, they want to be sure everyone is counted. Not their fault if those people may turn out to be the Rs' worst fear.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:

Actually, no.

Politicizing the department would be like what Bush did to the Justice Department.

Revamping some of the methodology of the Census Bureau falls far short of politicizing. When the results are in and Congress starts to redraw districts as a result, then we'll see politicizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies