Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could the US survive another major terrorist attack?
Yes, with no problem. Obama would take quick, decisive action in attacking them and would inspire the American people to have no fear. 5 20.00%
Yes. Obama would negotiate with the terrorists work out a deal satisfactory to them. 3 12.00%
Yes. But it would be through blind luck. 9 36.00%
No. The government would fall and there would be a constitutional convention. 3 12.00%
No. The US would break up into several nations. 3 12.00%
No. Civilization would come apart here and then spread to many other countries. 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,611,556 times

Advertisements

Could the US survive a major terrorist attack today in a period of economic chaos and widespread lack of confidence in the government. It seems likely that Obama would try to come to an accomodation with terrorists rather than initiate military action. If he did and it happened again, I can't see the people tolerating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 09:43 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,414,755 times
Barrack Insane Nosama would be waving the white flag himself. Either that or he would be wearing one of his turbans and insisting he just looks like the boob that was elected president.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Unclench fists o'thine, and thou shalt have my love letter

Then goeth thou and I; and kisseth in the verandah

Yes We Can

Old 03-03-2009, 10:35 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
I don't think one thing has anything to do with the other. In the event of a major terrorist attack, we do what has to be done and get back to dealing with the economy afterwards.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times
I think it would be good for the economy, WW2 turned the economy around after the depression...so could any big mobilization.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
OF COURSE.

As Rosinante says, there are many in top positions who are not competent to lead if we were struck. GWB had many, many failings. He did grab the reigns after 9/11, and even D-people said thank God algore wasn't elected.
The second poll answer is exactly what would have happened if algore was C-in-C on 9/11.
Telling folks to go shop, however, that was not very smart.

I've seen Tommy Franks (retired Gen.) say the constitution could not survive another terrorist attack.
To me, that's a warning that tyrants like him would love to burn that great document and appoint their egotistical selves as Great Leaders.
Not going to happen, tommy.

If there were another event, the constitution is the most important thing that must survive. Anyone who says otherwise is a dictator in the wings.

And anyone who would propose a constitutional convention, given the quality of nabobs who would surely appoint themselves a New Founder, is courting a Zimbabwe-style disaster.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,943 times
Of course we would survive. And just like last time we would come together & demand action. The only difference will be that since a Democrat is in office the Democratic congresspeople wont forget that they voted for reprisal as fast as when Bush was there.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:56 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,595,573 times
The American people are quick to act when the entire nation is under attack. Look at how people came together immediately after 9/11. Unfortunately, in the months and years following, the plan followed by the government was to become unpopular, and was criticized by many, and caused a divide amongst the American people. The American people had a difference of opinion regarding the action that was needed.

I didn't know which selection to pick in the poll. I was tempted to click on 'blind luck' but didn't really agree with that answer. My choice, if offered, would be that we would survive the attack, but only by the strength and resolve of the American people, with little real help from 'the government.'

This nation is weak in leadership that pulls people together. In the years since 9/11, the Republicans couldn't do it, and I don't think the Democrats will fare any better. I pray it doesn't happen, but a terrorist attack could be the catalyst that once again unites the American people.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,070,661 times
The last one knocked down a couple of buidlings. In the aftermatch the government told us, "the object of terrorism is terror" and that "if they make us change, they have won". The Republicans then tossed out all constitutional protections and tried to turn us into a nation of serfs. I doubt that Al Qaeda has the ability to repeat an attack of that size and I'm sure President Obama won't sit there and read My Pet Goat to grade school children during the attack.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:44 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,943 times
Yeah, why bother with the children.
Hard to lay it on the Republicans Churchie when the Dems were right beside them.

It is funny that you think Obama is different. How many of those constitutional protections has he moved to restore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies