Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:52 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times

Advertisements

Not really.

Just using commonsense so most of the government's propaganda is irrelevant.

Using YOUR commonsense,does a poverty stricken person own a car,have a TV and cable,a cell phone and own their own home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 12:57 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,598 times
Honestly, these same people were probably in one of the many threads about why do black people __________ and I can assure you they had no problem answering the question then. But now that the OP is asking about white people, they want to change the subject, don't understand the question or "play the race card." If it is so easy to say that black people are ________ because of _________ then it should be just as easy to identify the reasons why whites engage in the same behaviours.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
The point that I believe the thread is about is stereotypes and an examination of how someone can stereotype a race of people based on a subset that may be experiencing poverty but will not do the same for another race of people, based on a subset of that race. I could be wrong, but that is how I see it but it appears that instead of discussing the OP's question it is turning into another "look at the statistics and they prove we are doing better then the Black people are" thread.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,346 times
Proverbs 29:2
When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." St. John 8:32
[URL="http://www.thecomforter.info[FONT=Arial"]www.thecomforter.info
[/URL][URL="http://www.theholyconceptionunit.org"]www.theholyconceptionunit.org[/URL]

Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,532,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
By writing, "Why are 44% of all people living in poverty white?"

Perhaps, I should have written something about the percentage of people who just can't read a simple sentence??

No Eeeee22895, I wasn't implying that the majority of whites live in poverty, that's just plain silly on so many levels.
The message you are trying to convey is that near half white people are in poverty. Then coming up for strawman reasons for that.
What you're doing is like saying "80% of divorces in Utah involve Mormon couples." Then asking why mormon marriages are so unstable.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
The message you are trying to convey is that near half white people are in poverty. Then coming up for strawman reasons for that.
What you're doing is like saying "80% of divorces in Utah involve Mormon couples." Then asking why mormon marriages are so unstable.
No, that is purely a product of your own imagination and inability to read even the simplest of sentences.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:31 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Many of these white people live in rural areas in homes that have been passed down, they drive older cars that are paid off, and some are able to grow their own food. If they don't grow their own food they know someone who does and can provide some for them. Technically on paper these people are "below the poverty line", but many of them still live a decent lifestyle. Someone can make $25k a year in the country and live pretty good, but that income in a city or suburbs would surely be poor. Statistics on a piece of paper can be deceiving.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Ohhh.don't get me wrong,I believe they aren't RICH...but 'poor' by what standards?

Hopefully in the next few months we will be joining them at the federal poverty level....

Old 03-16-2009, 01:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Reading comprehension seems to be a bigger problem than poverty...

As posted on #51 and reposted below.

2008 Federal Poverty Guidelines
How We Measure Poverty

Old 03-16-2009, 01:44 PM

You better be prepared to support me and my wife when we become po'...

Just don't whine that we own our own place,have a truck and two computers,have enough time to grow our own food and raise livestock to feed ourselves and perhaps make a little money.

Really.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:52 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,684,460 times
You want a simple reason. The 22 million choose to live in poverty.
Poverty is based on behavior, if you work hard you will not be in poverty. If spend my you dont have and always in debt you will always be poor. So it is the behavior of poverty not the person's income because they can be changed overtime with hard work. What is poverty anyway... they only have 1 TV in the house I would like to see what they consider poverty. I bet they arent eating from the garbage cans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies