Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:31 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
I suppose this passes for wit in SC, but I found it thoroughly underwhelming.
I find what you think...quite unimportant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 03:33 PM

403 posts, read 1,581,259 times
White people are nearly 70% of the US population. Which is about 205,000,000.
Black people make up about 12% of the population. Which is about 37,200,000.
Hispanics make up about 17% of the the population. Which is about 52,700,000 of them.
So the remaining 5,000,000 people are another race.

Since white people are the majority of the population, white people would therefore be highest proportion of the total people who live in poverty. But if you count the population of white people, the percentage of them living in poverty may be lower than other racial groups.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Since white people are the majority of the population, white people would therefore be highest proportion of the total people who live in poverty. But if you count the population of white people, the percentage of them living in poverty may be lower than other racial groups.
They are and they aren't, so since that should be fairly obvious to anyone can we now move on to the topic at hand?

Old 03-16-2009, 08:38 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,788,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
They are and they aren't, so since that should be fairly obvious to anyone can we now move on to the topic at hand?
Think its a starve the banter, feed the discussion proposition.

I read a blog with a hoover thread-- he was challenged with how to deal with crime in the 60's, and the new movement theory at the time blamed it on poverty.

His answer was to not make a hero out of him, bring him to court, and let his parents be shamed (finger wagging) about how they failed to bring him up right. Child neglect, unwholesome environment, ammoral lifes.

LBJ's war on poverty began on a porch in Inez Kentucky. McCain visited there on the campaign trail last spring. The house was dilapidated, a board over a window, no tresspassing sign. A car was in the driveway with its window busted out covered with a blanket.

Just wondering if that porch was in better shape when LBJ stood on it, if the war ever began in earnest, or if the war was entirely misdirected.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:47 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If the conventional wisdom around these parts is that African Americans are poor because of social programs, a false sense of victimization then when those issues are removed we should expect not to see poverty.
I do not think social programs and victim mentality are the reasons for anyone being poor. Social programs and victim mentality are very frequently abused and become a crutch that keeps poor people limping along though, rather than learning how to walk. The idea of "fixing" poverty is a noble one, but I do not think it is as easy as throwing a bunch of handouts and psychological justifications towards any group and expecting good results.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:37 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Capitalizim. During slavery more than 70-80 percent of the white population might have been poor or whatever percentage were not slave holders. the figure i once heard was between 12-1 % of whites owned slaves or could be considered slave holders (20 or more slaves). What is impressive is the number of blacks that are not in poverty, not incarcerated, and educated, I think an economic system that gives you close to a 50% chance of making it is as good as it gets.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
The idea of "fixing" poverty is a noble one, but I do not think it is as easy as throwing a bunch of handouts and psychological justifications towards any group and expecting good results.
Well I couldn't agree more but as the trend line on poverty that I posted above indicates, the programs of Federal government have been effective in reducing the rate of poverty but more importantly, industrial policy that encourages the establishment of good jobs is far more important.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:04 AM

I believe three TRILLION has been spent on fighting poverty....and yet the numbers of 'poor' is basically the same.

Just as some on the left think it is time to end the war in Iraq,it is WAY past time to end the war on poverty.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I believe three TRILLION has been spent on fighting poverty....and yet the numbers of 'poor' is basically the same.

Just as some on the left think it is time to end the war in Iraq,it is WAY past time to end the war on poverty.
Basically the same?

The only thing that is basically the same is the curious relationship to the following graph.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:30 AM

Thanks for that.

It actually shows that from when the 'war on poverty' began in 1964 the numbers were LESS than now.

So the war has really failed to produce results...except to make more poor people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies