Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

The Seattle Post-Intelligencer (surely one of the most ironically titled publications EVER), a rabid leftwing "newspaper" in a rabid leftwing city, died this week. Some are unhappy about that. Many are pleased.

Here is a letter which appeared in its last issue...

Editor,

So sad to see the P-I winding down. Every day there's less and less to read. But it's so hard to run a business these days, isn't it? What with over taxation, overregulation, extortionist lawsuits, runaway liability expenses, hostile labor unions, it's a miracle any business in King County survives. And the P-I, after all, is only a business.

But wait a minute.

Haven't the editorial pages of your newspaper always been for more taxes, for more business regulation, for more reasons to sue a business, for stronger labor unions, for anything and everything that makes running a business the arduous and thankless chore it has become? Yes, I do believe that's true.

So, maybe, just maybe, you idiots richly deserve the fate that awaits you. The chickens are coming home to roost.

Jeffrey Weiser
Redmond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Excellent letter.

I'm waiting for the NYTimes to close it's doors for good - I'll be doing a happy dance on the Gray Lady's grave.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:09 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer (surely one of the most ironically titled publications EVER), a rabid leftwing "newspaper" in a rabid leftwing city, died this week. Some are unhappy about that. Many are pleased.

Here is a letter which appeared in its last issue...

Editor,

So sad to see the P-I winding down. Every day there's less and less to read. But it's so hard to run a business these days, isn't it? What with over taxation, overregulation, extortionist lawsuits, runaway liability expenses, hostile labor unions, it's a miracle any business in King County survives. And the P-I, after all, is only a business.

But wait a minute.

Haven't the editorial pages of your newspaper always been for more taxes, for more business regulation, for more reasons to sue a business, for stronger labor unions, for anything and everything that makes running a business the arduous and thankless chore it has become? Yes, I do believe that's true.

So, maybe, just maybe, you idiots richly deserve the fate that awaits you. The chickens are coming home to roost.

Jeffrey Weiser
Redmond
Newspapers of all kinds (left leaning/right leaning/whatever) are failing all over the country as more and more readers get their news from TV and/or the web
What's your point?

Ken

Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Newspapers of all kinds (left leaning/right leaning/whatever) are failing all over the country as more and more readers get their news from TV and/or the web
What's your point?

Ken
Please list an example of a failing conservative/right leaning paper.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Please list an example of a failing conservative/right leaning paper.
The New York Sun.
The Rocky Mountain News.

That's 2 that come to mind right off.

Ken

Old 03-19-2009, 08:53 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,269 times
Quote:
The New York Sun.
The Rocky Mountain News.

That's 2 that come to mind right off.

Ken
Reluctantly, I agree with you, especially on your post above^. Due to the Internet, I would think mostly, and access to other electronic means of getting the news, revenue for newspaper, all of them across the board - large, small, right, left, small town - has been sorely lacking for quite some time, and will continue to slide. Politics has little if anything to do with newspapers falling around the country. Course, not all countries are as privileged as the US for electronics. At least, I don't think so.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Reluctantly, I agree with you, especially on your post above^. Due to the Internet, I would think mostly, and access to other electronic means of getting the news, revenue for newspaper, all of them across the board - large, small, right, left, small town - has been sorely lacking for quite some time, and will continue to slide. Politics has little if anything to do with newspapers falling around the country. Course, not all countries are as privileged as the US for electronics. At least, I don't think so.
Yup.
Print newspapers are dinosaurs.
Some of the failing papers are maintaining a web version - as is the case with the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, so it's not really going away completely - just mostly.

http://www.seattlepi.com/

The same thing is true of most magazines (and not just those that are news oriented - but also fashion magazines, hobby magazines, travel magazines, etc, etc, etc) for that matter.
Slowly, but surely, paper print media is dying.
Despite what the OP is trying to infer, it's a matter of technology changes rather than any kind of political connection that is causing the newspaper/magazine bloodbath.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-19-2009 at 09:21 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 09:56 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Hey, now maybe residents of King County can learn to think for themselves.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Hey, now maybe residents of King County can learn to think for themselves.
I think King County residents think for themselves just fine, thank you very much.

Just because they don't happen to agree with you...

And, since King County residents seem to be pretty well-versed in the internet, I suspect that the Seattle P-I will still have lots of readers - just not those insistent upon remaining in the stone age of paper newspapers.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/22/wired-cities-2009-tech-wire-cx_ew_0122wired (broken link)

Ken

Old 03-19-2009, 11:34 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
Quote:
I think King County residents think for themselves just fine, thank you very much.

Just because they don't happen to agree with you...

And, since King County residents seem to be pretty well-versed in the internet, I suspect that the Seattle P-I will still have lots of readers - just not those insistent upon remaining in the stone age of paper newspapers.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/22/wired-cities-2009-tech-wire-cx_ew_0122wired (broken link)

Ken
Yeah, long as they're willing to pay for it. But hey, no more picking up a copy from a bus station toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies