Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:59 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Massive security blankets studio
In his opening monologue, Leno joked that people were surprised that Obama would come on NBC, figuring that he would be tired of big companies on the brink of disaster with a bunch of overpaid executives, a reference to questions that have been raised about the financial health of General Electric Corp., the parent company of NBC Universal.

(Msnbc.com is a joint venture of NBC News and Microsoft Corp.)

Asked about being president, Obama said it was “a little like ‘American Idol,’ except everyone is Simon Cowell — everyone has an opinion.”
Obama 'stunned' by millions in AIG bonuses - White House- msnbc.com

Obama compares himself to Roosevelt and his fireside chats with Leno and the couch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 08:01 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
But I do regret that the line between policy and entertainment is becoming ever-more blurred.
I agree, and it is rather sad that in the US we see our politicians like we do celebrities.. Pretty soon the National Enquirer will have front page headlines about Obama marrying Jennifer Anniston..

But then again who cares about Leno, lets get him on the Daily Show or Colbert Report..!

Old 03-20-2009, 08:02 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,843,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup, among other things I whined about bush getting us into an unecessary war and hiding the cost, not doing a damn thing about the economy, and being on vacation 46% of the time "cutting brush" and playing golf,which wasn't in the White House..

COMPARED TO:

The repubs whine about a president acting like he IS our employee, getting out and speaking to, listening to, and being seen by the people who hired him...and that he doesn't wear a jacket in the Oval office. If you think Obama hasn't been working than you haven't been paying attention......some heavy duty stuff has been going on.....repubs should know, they whine about it all.
Yeah Bush got us into that war all on his own.

He didnt hide the cost to well did he? Since we know the cost.

You are sitting here complaining about the economy while making excuses for Obama not being in his office working on that economy to improve it. I find that funny

ALso dont leave out that Obama took 2 vacations in 1 mth of work.

I am starting to wonder if Obama knows where his office is in the WH

Old 03-20-2009, 08:03 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Its cool that if displays a more human side of the person. But I do regret that the line between policy and entertaiment is becoming ever-more blurred.
Good grief, all one has to do is watch a Presidential election cycle. It is nothing but an American Idol contest between celebrity personalities being given to a public who thinks America is ruled by a monarch. Never in this nations history have we had such an imperial Presidency.

People can't be bothered with all that Constitution and Congress stuff... ick...too complicated, we need to either praise or denounce one man, the sole leader, the master and commander, the... king This way we don't have to think about anything, just point.

America is turning into the movie Idiocracy more and more every day.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:12 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I LOVE that movie! And I will bet that President Comocho was elected because he was more like a pro wrestler than his competition... Ever since the 90s it seems that all elections are determined by who takes being a celebrity better, and who has the least amount of skeletons in their closet.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:21 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,950,025 times
Quote:
Nope, you like the other repubs just need something, ANYTHING, to whine about.
Statements like this crack me up. Is your memory so short that you don't remember the liberal media outlets whining about Bush & Co as early as last year?

Old 03-20-2009, 08:25 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,145,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Statements like this crack me up. Is your memory so short that you don't remember the liberal media outlets whining about Bush & Co as early as last year?
Of course I remember the whining about what a disaster the whole bushCo administration was.

Whining about Obama appearing in public is stupid.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:28 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You have the right to change the channel, or turn the TV off.
These are your choices, aren't you the party of personal responsibility?
Might want to actually try it sometime.
I never saw it. I read the story on the internet.
Need to be harsh, much?
Don't harsh my mellow, dude...I'm in VT...I like the President.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:30 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
Quote:
Not dignified??? Why do you place our empolyees on such pedestals???
They aren't holy gods to you, are they?

They're just peolple , hired by us to do a job....they fart, they belch, they swear and drink...just like the rest of us....try to get over the worshipy thing.

Nope, you like the other repubs just need something, ANYTHING, to whine about.
I'm NOT a repub...shudder...bleh.
I hate to see people cozing up to 'tv people.'

Old 03-20-2009, 08:41 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Good grief, all one has to do is watch a Presidential election cycle. It is nothing but an American Idol contest between celebrity personalities being given to a public who thinks America is ruled by a monarch. Never in this nations history have we had such an imperial Presidency.

People can't be bothered with all that Constitution and Congress stuff... ick...too complicated, we need to either praise or denounce one man, the sole leader, the master and commander, the... king This way we don't have to think about anything, just point.

Well, you are on to something. So would you agree that the flip side of it is people getting serious information from Limbaugh or Stewart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies