Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:18 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,656,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Roots was a story based on some facts. It wasn't created as a tool for a fight for equality.

This kind of thinking doesn't surprise me though. People look to the media to form their opinions of blacks and use those opinions as fact.
I never said "Roots" was created as a tool to fight for equality. I said, "it didn't help the black mans fight for equality."
The media influences people's opinions on everything nothing new about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,639,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I never said "Roots" was created as a tool to fight for equality. I said, "it didn't help the black mans fight for equality."
The media influences people's opinions on everything nothing new about that.
That's just it though...it was a TV show. It should have no effect on the struggle for equality unless people choose to relate those images to blacks as a whole.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,846,739 times
Let's do it! Let's give every black person a reparations check.
Then we'll see how racially divided this country really is.

Why do we have such stupid people representing us?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,244,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
"Government " is code for private citizens of all colors being asked to ante up. Keep that fact firmly in mind.
If that's the case, what was "government" code for during slavery?

Quote:
You might also consider the fact that the US government "perpetrated" the Civil War which, among other things, ended slavery...
Ironically, the end of slavery only marked a new beginning of oppression. And with no form of economic restitution to provide the newly-freed the fruits of their labor and a jump start to self-determination whatsoever it's almost hard to tell whether life was actually better post-slavery.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,379,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I.....The media influences people's opinions on everything nothing new about that.
So true.
Have a question but first background...
1. The mainstream media has had tons of coverage on the AIG execs getting the bonuses and the outrage. However, they have had nothing on the fact ....
the Feds were going to ban bonuses being paid from the Stimulus $$ into the Bill,
the Treasury then says you can't do that cuz of contracts,
so Dodd follows the White House directive and takes it out,
the bill is given to Congress with no time to read the entire thing,
the bill pays and bonuses are paid,
there is outrage, everyone hates the AIG execs, the AIG execs have protestors at their homes, etc.
and then the Feds vote to tax the bonus $$ at 90%
2. All over the mainstream news this AM was the story about the woman getting a divorce and asking for something like $53,000 a week to live on. The media stressed the fact of how outrageous this is especially when everyone is suffering economically.

My question: Do you think the media is trying to inflame a class war or is the media just speaking for the common man?

If they are just speaking for the common man, they'd get a lot more of my respect if they were the common man. How about the execs, anchors, etc. put their money where their mouth is?

I'll be the first in line to say no bonuses should be paid out of stimulus money; bonuses and monies paid to execs when their employees are being laid off, etc. is horrific; Wall Street plays fast and loose with our money and makes outrageous salaries for it, etc. But my concern - in trying to punish those bad big guys, let's not punish the small employer who has struggled for years and his business is starting to pay off and let's not run more companies out of the US.

Sorry, I got off topic. Delete the post if you must.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,387,195 times
I'm offering free travel and legal assistance to
those that wish to surrender their U.S. citizenship.
Their's your jump start.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,616,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Also, what is NOT appreciated is telling the 90% of black people as you say people on the right know are regular everyday people that they are just the same as the 5 or 10% who don't have it together. We all know that it happens by people believing what is in the media only - without any other information.

Often, just like many posts on this thread I see the one way arguement only.

There are many sides to this issue, just how many are willing to admit that?
First, you should take certain individuals with a grain of salt. Sadly, there is defintely a soft-core racist element here on City-Data and in life in general. Unfortunetly, no one can help that. But using racial language to lump people together happens both ways. Some people just aren't thinking straight, and letting yourself get angry over that isn't worth it. You're better than that, and you know it. Don't let the ignorant set speak for all whites either....

Second, the media is an enemy as much as it is an ally. Turn on any local news broadcast and you'll see where the flames of hatred get fanned. Also, to a great extent, many AA personalites themselves do a great disservice. Obama made a comment about more Blacks being in jail than in college. Not only was that blatant bull****, but it was disgustingly racist as well......but becuase he's "Black", it wasn't????

Third, make of this comment what you will, but my view is that "oppression" has become so intergral to AA's cultural identity that sometimes I question weither equality is truly what some want at all. Early in the elections, Obama wasn't getting much traction. It was white people who pulled him out of the pollster dungeon. Only then did "Black America" jump on the bandwagon. The truth is I do feel that for a very small minority of AAs, they believe to be "Black" and to be "Oppressed" is one and the same. Take away the latter, and essentally you rob them of their cultural and communial identity. Becuase the Africans brought here were stripped of their previous identity, being a "Slave" (and the baggae that comes with that) is the only culture they know and can identitfy with. Hence, they're reluctant to let that past go....

Old 03-24-2009, 11:04 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,244,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Lemme put it to you in very stark terms: In 1940, a time of horrendous racism, Harlem was by almost any measure, a healthier, cleaner, safer and vibrant place than it was in say 1990. If racism is the end-all-be-all of why things are in American society, why this little nugget of truth?
You have to remember that at its peak, Harlem was populated by blacks pouring in from the Great Migration from the Jim Crow south in search of a new beginning. These blacks found Harlem to be a cultural mecca where real self-actualization and self-determination could actually take place, even amid the economic downturn caused by the Depression. Harlem really started going south with record job losses post-WWII sustained by the subsequent decline of industry. There is a comeback though.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:08 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,486,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Obama has said before that he doesn't support the idea of reparations.
They're just words... He has proven that.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 AM

340 posts, read 704,775 times
Obama would not qualify for Reparations so why would he push it?

Everyone in the HISTORY of the world has acted out of selfish reasons and for this to be put forth as a bill or if it ever passes, would be PURE selfishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies