Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:24 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
So you were a slave? Your dad maybe? Grandfather? Ok, I didn't think so. Like somebody said, find a slave alive today and he most definitely deserves the money!
Flawed assertion. The Bill seeks to address economic retribution for the sustained practice that left generations of blacks severely uncompetitive with other groups. That somehow the drafters of the Fourteenth Amendment didn't find it necessary to include reparations in the package back in 1866 doesn't make the idea of reparations any less justified today. Ideally, the reparations study would focus on the segment of the black populace closest removed from slavery, starting with Gertrude Baines and extending to the thousands of living African-American elders over 75 years of age. It would be up to them to incorporate whatever allocation they're given into their wills and testaments. In the case of those elders who don't have any living descendants (like Ms. Baines), they can elect to have the money distributed to an organization of their liking in the event of their passing. Other aspects of the study would focus in on allocating resources directly to disaffected black communities (schools, community centers, job training programs, businesses) across the country. This way the enormous wealth gap caused by the extensive legacy of deprivation caused by slavery/discrimination can begin to abate in a more realistic manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 09:12 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,526,694 times
The legacy of slavery scarred the psyche of African Americans in so many ways that we are suffering even several generations after emancipation.

(Slightly off topic...)
I firmly believe that Barack Obama, being the son of an African immigrant and a White American woman, was able to operate beyond the psychological bonds(and transcind the generations of negative voices) that are sometimes passed from Black parent to child as descendents of slaves. He never thought that he couldn't become POTUS and that's a beautiful thing.

(Back on topic)
As I have stated previously, it isn't a matter of whether or not the descendents of slaves deserve reparations, obviously we do.

The question is whether it would solve or resolve the issues the the Black community suffers (directly and indirectly) as a result of 400 years of slavery. The answer is: probably not.

And the fact that giving each living descendent of African slaves in America (over 40 million Black folk) any amount of money would not resolve any issues or erase any of the generations of pain is the reason that it reparations will NEVER be paid.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:17 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Flawed assertion. The Bill seeks to address economic retribution for the sustained practice that left generations of blacks severely uncompetitive with other groups. That somehow the drafters of the Fourteenth Amendment didn't find it necessary to include reparations in the package back in 1866 doesn't make the idea of reparations any less justified today. Ideally, the reparations study would focus on the segment of the black populace closest removed from slavery, starting with Gertrude Baines and extending to the thousands of living African-American elders over 75 years of age. It would be up to them to incorporate whatever allocation they're given into their wills and testaments. In the case of those elders who don't have any living descendants (like Ms. Baines), they can elect to have the money distributed to an organization of their liking in the event of their passing. Other aspects of the study would focus in on allocating resources directly to disaffected black communities (schools, community centers, job training programs, businesses) across the country. This way the enormous wealth gap caused by the extensive legacy of deprivation caused by slavery/discrimination can begin to abate in a more realistic manner.

I am entitled to my opinion and I call it BS. Further more, If this went threw then I hope people are read for the consequences.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:59 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,401 times
Mr Skyes:

A very compelling argument could be made that Slavery held AAs back fiscally in a way still manifest today, I don't think cash remedies is going to fix that. It's more complex than that. Also, for those whites who did not participate in such shennanigans of slavery, this is unfair to them.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:26 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I am entitled to my opinion and I call it BS. Further more, If this went threw then I hope people are read for the consequences.
Whatever you say cowboy. By all means, don't let me stop you from believing that.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,427 times
wow, more crap from congress. Can't believe that.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:59 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The legacy of slavery scarred the psyche of African Americans in so many ways that we are suffering even several generations after emancipation.

(Slightly off topic...)
I firmly believe that Barack Obama, being the son of an African immigrant and a White American woman, was able to operate beyond the psychological bonds(and transcind the generations of negative voices) that are sometimes passed from Black parent to child as descendents of slaves. He never thought that he couldn't become POTUS and that's a beautiful thing.

(Back on topic)
As I have stated previously, it isn't a matter of whether or not the descendents of slaves deserve reparations, obviously we do.

The question is whether it would solve or resolve the issues the the Black community suffers (directly and indirectly) as a result of 400 years of slavery. The answer is: probably not.

And the fact that giving each living descendent of African slaves in America (over 40 million Black folk) any amount of money would not resolve any issues or erase any of the generations of pain is the reason that it reparations will NEVER be paid.
it would probably end the recession though.

I'm sorry if your ancestors were mistreated. But to think that I owe you anything at this point is laughable. Maybe if y'all would look forward instead of back, you would get ahead in this world.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:26 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,775 times
I can't believe you all are really sitting here arguing about a bill for the creation of a committee to study the feasibility of giving reparations that has never moved very far in the first place. Yawn worthy, if anything ever was. You'd be surprised if only you knew just how many cooky bills have never gone up to a vote.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:40 AM

952 posts, read 3,705,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Whatever you say cowboy. By all means, don't let me stop you from believing that.

Cowboy?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:44 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I can't believe you all are really sitting here arguing about a bill for the creation of a committee to study the feasibility of giving reparations that has never moved very far in the first place. Yawn worthy, if anything ever was. You'd be surprised if only you knew just how many cooky bills have never gone up to a vote.
I'd tend to agree, but how many really goofy bills have in fact become law. Something as patently racist as this just might come to pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies