Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 09:21 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I agree with most of your post except for the last part. It wasn't the Bush administration alone that is responsible for this mess. Congress also had a big hand in the whole debacle.

Yes.. you are right about that... and I should have said that too. I'm not so nieve to think that one man alone could get us into it or one man alone could fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I apologize for my tone.

But I need to ask why you seem to think that we are the problem and that if we stop doing whatever it is that we are doing, that the entire world will just hold hands and sing kumbaya?

I didn't say that.. I don't think WE are the problem.. however, I think the tone we set is extremely important and goes a long way to softening up the conversations and openning up dialogue. The world does look to us.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:31 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I didn't say that.. I don't think WE are the problem.. however, I think the tone we set is extremely important and goes a long way to softening up the conversations and openning up dialogue. The world does look to us.
OK...so what/who is the problem? And what is it you think "they" will change just because we talk nice ?
Or, if we aren't the problem why should we change anything?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Here we go with the blinders and the blame game again.

as for: As a matter of fact.. by ending the war in Iraq we'll actually STRENGTHEN our military ...

How do you propose cutting defense will "strengthen" our military (because defense IS being cut).

Did you even bother to read the article in regards to defense cutting.. or did you just grab the headline and run with it like so many do? I read the article through and I understand exactly
DoD budget: deep cuts, new opportunities
Quote:
Gates said Monday the Pentagon's weapons strategy will focus on equipment that can be used against the insurgencies and irregular threats faced in places like Afghanistan, rather than older programs designed for conventional wars
Quote:
This budget represents an opportunity, one of those rare chances to match virtue to necessity, and ruthlessly separate appetites from real requirements,"

It goes on to talk about how companies that are behind schedule and over budget will lose contracts.. giving another company the oppportunity to do it more efficiently and ON budget.. possibly saving billions.

It talks about doing away with older planes.. and focusing on the newer models. This particular article I'm referencing didn't say anything about the new drones that would be created (that I saw in another article).

It basically cuts WASTEFUL and Inefficient military spending and streamlines..

Amazing...on the one hand you call for tighter budgets and more efficiency and when you get it you still whine about it. This is a good thing..

Gates Proposes Cuts To Several Major Weapons Programs
Quote:
Gates proposed speeding up production of the F-35 fighter jet, which could end up costing $1 trillion to manufacture and maintain 2,443 planes. The military would buy more speedy ships that can operate close in to land. And more money would be spent outfitting special forces troops that can hunt down insurgents. [...]
Quote:
The Government Accountability Office reported last week that 96 of the Pentagon's biggest weapons contracts were over budget by a "staggering" figure of $296 billion.
A bill in Congress would require the Pentagon to do a better job of making sure proposed weapons are affordable and perform the way they should before the military spends big sums on them. The Defense Department has already adjusted its acquisitions policy to achieve some of those goals.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times
quote=Bluefly;8223517
Quote:
He inherited a financial crisis (new poll - 2% blame Obama for it) for which he is taking necessary and bold action to fix. He inherited two wars for which he is redirecting resources to fight them more effectively. He is reaching out to the Muslim world. He is building working relationships with China, Russia, and Europe...
And Bush inherited the Second Pearl Harbor from Clinton!

Quote:
Most importantly, he is representing that massive aspect of the United States that has been severely underrepresented with all these pretend cowboy / redneck presidents we've had for decades: the sophisticated, cosmopolitan, educated, articulate, wise American.
I think I am going to vomit!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
OK...so what/who is the problem? And what is it you think "they" will change just because we talk nice ?
Or, if we aren't the problem why should we change anything?

You get more bees with honey. You want them to do things the way we want to do them.. then you need to LISTEN to their input as well.. and let them know you actually care what they think about the issues.. unlike in the past when America would just dismiss them and think that WE have all the ANSWERS .. we don't always... again.. diplomacy.

If we just take the stance of "our way or no way" they'll never bend to our way of thinking or our ideas.. they won't even listen.

However..when it comes to the financial crisis.. the U.S bears most..but not all fo the responsibility

Old 04-07-2009, 09:38 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
You get more bees with honey. You want them to do things the way we want to do them.. then you need to LISTEN to their input as well.. and let them know you actually care what they think about the issues.. unlike in the past when America would just dismiss them and think that WE have all the ANSWERS .. we don't always... again.. diplomacy.

If we just take the stance of "our way or no way" they'll never bend to our way of thinking or our ideas.. they won't even listen.

Honey also attracts bears.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:38 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
It's sad that so many people are enamored with someone because they are a good public speaker.

He has done nothing to prove his wisdom. He's just throwing a bunch of stuff against the wall, hoping something sticks and works, but using the common sense test, none of them will.

Of course, common sense is trumped by emotion with the left. They're SO driven to see him succeed only because they hated Bush, but can't stand back and objectively look at the man and see that there's no substance to anything B.O. is saying.

Again, he just wants to be liked.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:39 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I agree.

The past several presidents haven't been a source of pride. It hasn't been since the Reagan era that I've really felt that we've had effective leadership. It's about time.
I'm not a huge fan of much of what Reagan did, but I'll say this for him - he was no embarassment when he travelled abroad (or within the U.S.) and was a great speaker.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:40 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Quote:
You get more bees with honey.
Welcome to the utopia of the left. It's like they're stoned 24/7.

Those bees are well armed ones that would just assume you die off so they can come in and take your honey, as opposed to you giving it to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies