Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that another 9/11 attack is coming?
Yes 22 55.00%
No 12 30.00%
Don't know 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 AM

324 posts, read 1,139,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Who knows, but Obama sure is weakening the home team and that makes the terrorists jobs real easy!

Enough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 08:48 AM

471 posts, read 587,330 times
How can everyone assume that we were safer in on thread(with Bush), then gripe about open free flowing borders in the next? IF an illegal alien had a dirty bomb they could walk up and set it off in El Paso with no problems. Think about the drug shipments that are brought in every day. Are you telling me people and weapons of the same size couldn't be brought in just as easily. If we are going to fight a war lets sure up out home land then go on the direct offensive. This is my main beef with my/the republican party. An act of terror will happen again. I doubt the fact that Obama is scaling back our troop in Iraq will do us any direct harm. If he doesn't fix our borders tho, then some one comes in like that, then yes I put the blame on him.

I mean really guys, never played age of empires? You build walls, put archers behind them, THEN send the calvary to the other guys place to attack it. You don't just leave your villagers out it the open unprotected while you are on the other half of the map. Just a loose metaphor for what is going on. Very tongue in cheek guys.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:53 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,479,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centre View Post
Enough said.
Weakening the home team by doing what excatly? Please explain..

Old 04-12-2009, 10:13 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
I think the bombers won. They wanted to change the american way of life and have succeeded. They made a nightmare of getting on a plane and how many people thing twice or three times or won't fly? They created an atmosphere of distrust. For a brief time they did bring us together but triggered wars that we are still reaping the darkness from. 9/11 was a big display and it worked.

I don't see another huge display. But what could be devistating is small things. Sucide bombers. Smaller bombings at places like Disneyland. Instuting fear in places we feel "safe". They have made the big victory... we have all our words here scanned for special words, your phone and text and emails are all scanned, where you go on the net is recorded, and so forth. Not to mention the shreading of the constitution in the name of saving us from them (when we need to be saving ourselves from Big Brother). Bring on the small acts of terrorism that make people worry if they'll come home and we will kick out the rest of our rights and then they will have seen their full victory.

As far as wildfires, terrorists don't need to do that. Its already covered. I put the arsonists who start fires to get a thrill slightly below the terrorists. They cause more misery and pain and usually get away with it.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
They're not pirates. They're shipping experts who have a subspecialty in hostile takeovers and asset negotiation.

This new war on words is fun.
Yikes I hope I don't get sent to a "re-education camp".

Old 04-12-2009, 12:38 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
I think that, to an extent, you're overestimating the capabilities of terrorists.
That is exactly what was said on 9/10 by the experts, they were wrong then too.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:41 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I think the bombers won. They wanted to change the american way of life and have succeeded. They made a nightmare of getting on a plane and how many people thing twice or three times or won't fly? They created an atmosphere of distrust. For a brief time they did bring us together but triggered wars that we are still reaping the darkness from. 9/11 was a big display and it worked.

I don't see another huge display. But what could be devistating is small things. Sucide bombers. Smaller bombings at places like Disneyland. Instuting fear in places we feel "safe". They have made the big victory... we have all our words here scanned for special words, your phone and text and emails are all scanned, where you go on the net is recorded, and so forth. Not to mention the shreading of the constitution in the name of saving us from them (when we need to be saving ourselves from Big Brother). Bring on the small acts of terrorism that make people worry if they'll come home and we will kick out the rest of our rights and then they will have seen their full victory.

As far as wildfires, terrorists don't need to do that. Its already covered. I put the arsonists who start fires to get a thrill slightly below the terrorists. They cause more misery and pain and usually get away with it.
Yes they did win, but it was at great costs to them too. Currently Osama is now living in a cave (if not buried in one) and can't access his millions of dollars...

Course that is what they wanted in the first place, to go back to the seventh century... Maybe he did win...

Old 04-12-2009, 12:45 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Who knows, but Obama sure is weakening the home team and that makes the terrorists jobs real easy!

Obama has eliminated most of the responsible terrorists by simply throwing them out of office by getting himself elected.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:46 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Just like crashing your motorcycle:

It's not a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:07 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Since 9/11, the United States and it's Allies have taken down the Islamic threats to a point that they haven't been able to attack us again to date.

Now our "War on Terror" is being dismantled, one stick at a time, either by good intentions that are not paying attention to history, or intentionally to attract another attack.

We are offering an olive branch to people that believe destroying us is part of their religious obligations and are not going to "Surrender" to us or anyone else. But by pretending that they are beaten and downtrodden we are putting ourselves in a position of having the "Trojan Horse" brought to us on a platter as if it was peace itself and that we appear to welcome it.

I believe that the next 9/11 will make this last one look like a "popcorn fart" to put it as basic as I can... and will cost the lives of hundreds of thousands at best and millions at the worst.

There is no difference between someone who straps on a small bomb and walks into a restaurant to kill themselves and dozens of people, to someone who floats a nuke into San Francisco or New York Harbor and sets it off with them pushing the button... They are just as dead and fully believe in their warped mind that they are on the way to a bunch of virgins.

History has a neat way of repeating itself over and over again, and nobody seems to remember yesterday, much less eight years ago.

What are your thoughts on it..

It doesn't matter who is in power in the US (or any other country), terrorists, while somewhat controllable, are not stoppable, no matter how much you spend. That doesn't mean they have a snails chance on a 8 lane highway of winning, anything or convincing anyone else of their self proclaimed divine right. You can bomb a dozen countries back to the 2nd century and it wont do a thing to stop them since there is always somebody else.

The IRA, neonazi's, middle east radicals (both jewish and islamic groups), klansmen, christian extremists, domestic or latin american groups will all at one time or another, disagree with our government, and could cause a so called attack.

If it happens, it happens. I'm not losing any sleep worrying about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies