Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Glad to hear that another crime was foiled by a responsible gun owner.

Just don't buy the hype that "Obama wants to take your guns" - its all a ploy by the gun shop owners to increase their sales (and its working like gangbusters).
Check out HR 45 and some questions and answers at this site:

GovTrack.us Community Q&A - Q&A on H.R. 45: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

The big "o" apparently is against ownership of any semi-automatic weapons and against concealed carry for honest citizens.

Is it coincidence that gun sales soar every time a democrat is elected president? Or is it legitimate concern because of the past record of the democratic party? I am not aware of any significant gun grab legislation pushed through by the Republicans.

bama is smart enough to let his underlings do the dirty work and leave his hands clean for the next election. Most who voted for him apparently don't want to know the truth or don't care what the truth is.

My question for any politician who espouses gun control is "What part of 'shall not infringe' don't you understand?"

Punish the criminals, not the innocent, but that of course is contrary to liberal thinking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,496,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlibrown View Post
Check out HR 45 and some questions and answers at this site:

GovTrack.us Community Q&A - Q&A on H.R. 45: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

The big "o" apparently is against ownership of any semi-automatic weapons and against concealed carry for honest citizens.

Is it coincidence that gun sales soar every time a democrat is elected president? Or is it legitimate concern because of the past record of the democratic party? I am not aware of any significant gun grab legislation pushed through by the Republicans.

bama is smart enough to let his underlings do the dirty work and leave his hands clean for the next election. Most who voted for him apparently don't want to know the truth or don't care what the truth is.

My question for any politician who espouses gun control is "What part of 'shall not infringe' don't you understand?"

Punish the criminals, not the innocent, but that of course is contrary to liberal thinking!
Good post, and thanks for bringing the legislation to our attention. However, you should realize that fewer than 1 out of 20 bills introduced ever make it to the floor for a vote. So do not panic just yet. We definitely need to keep an eye on the bill, after all, "eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."

Old 07-22-2009, 03:07 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,866,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Exactly why I'll always love Virginia. Virginia encourages residents to defend themselves with deadly force if need be.
Same in GA. If an intruder is completely inside the dwelling they are fair game. No questions asked.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:39 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,303,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Huck I looked for those statistics, but I couldn't find them. Do you know off hand where they're hiding those statistics?
The fact of the matter is that the mere presence of a gun has stopped way more crimes than those that were aborted after the crime had already started. The home invasion that is thwarted when the home owner pulls out a gun or the robber who flees when a store owner pulls out a gun make the head lines. The crime that never even starts because there is a gun around never even gets reported.

- Reel

Old 07-22-2009, 04:41 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,389,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
a firearm is 3 times more likely to be used in defense than assault.
send NRA money they are the only ones between us and the gun grab that will soon happen.
Luv you Huk!

Old 07-22-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
I'd love to see where that's written...LOL
In a small circle in that guys head.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
I'm happy for the gun owner as well but as we've seen the pirates, dead criminals don't deter new criminals..Sorry to say.
Deliberate nonsequter.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:44 AM

351 posts, read 376,422 times
I have been around guns all mt life. I have no problems with guns. The problem i have is that when anyone can get a gun you have a gun culture. "You virtually have to have do not sell this guy a gun" tatooed on your forehead in America not to be able to get a gun. There is basically no gun control in America and these gun deaths would not be anywhere near as high if we had responsible gun laws. When i watch a massacre in a School or the everyday reports of gun slayings or the reports of people having to defend themselves with a gun, it makes me wonder how other countries do not have the gun paranoia we have or the high gun deaths we have. We say we need guns to combat the bad guys with guns or if the good citizens gave up their guns only the bad guys would have them. Not true. Many countries have strict gun control and have not been taken over by gun toting bad guys. It is the American way to have guns. We no longer have to defend ourselves from renegades or live so far from a town that we must hunt for food. Stop making excuses as to why you need a gun. Having a gun does not deter a law breaker or home invader, they have guns too.
In the UK the Police patrol and apprehend criminals without guns. Imagine that here? A police officer here wouldn't even leave the station if he wasn't armed. Guns breed guns breed death and we have the perfect breeding ground in America. No one wants a home owner to be robbed or attacked but this euphoria because a home intruder was shot would not be needed if guns were controlled in America and not as easy to buy as a beer.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:02 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,967,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchcock View Post
I have been around guns all mt life. I have no problems with guns. The problem i have is that when anyone can get a gun you have a gun culture. "You virtually have to have do not sell this guy a gun" tatooed on your forehead in America not to be able to get a gun. There is basically no gun control in America and these gun deaths would not be anywhere near as high if we had responsible gun laws. When i watch a massacre in a School or the everyday reports of gun slayings or the reports of people having to defend themselves with a gun, it makes me wonder how other countries do not have the gun paranoia we have or the high gun deaths we have. We say we need guns to combat the bad guys with guns or if the good citizens gave up their guns only the bad guys would have them. Not true. Many countries have strict gun control and have not been taken over by gun toting bad guys. It is the American way to have guns. We no longer have to defend ourselves from renegades or live so far from a town that we must hunt for food. Stop making excuses as to why you need a gun. Having a gun does not deter a law breaker or home invader, they have guns too.
In the UK the Police patrol and apprehend criminals without guns. Imagine that here? A police officer here wouldn't even leave the station if he wasn't armed. Guns breed guns breed death and we have the perfect breeding ground in America. No one wants a home owner to be robbed or attacked but this euphoria because a home intruder was shot would not be needed if guns were controlled in America and not as easy to buy as a beer.
Once again...fine you do not need a gun. But do not infringe on my right to have one. As a law-abiding citizen I do not have to explain why I need a gun therefore I make no excuses to why I need one. I do not own a gun....but I would like the option to if I ever felt like I wanted one.

By your reasoning I could say hypothetically that the country should ban automobiles. You should walk your ass everywhere or take mass transit...period. Yes it would be tougher for some people to do this....well tough. People would exercise more, we'd be polluting the air less, and we wouldnt have to worry about maintaining roads and bridges as much. (By the way I don't advocate this...I drive a V8 mustang and let it drink as much gas as it wants

You're right when you say a law breaker with a gun is going to break the law regardless of whether or not the victim has a gun or not. But why not let the victim have a better chance of survival with a gun?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,860,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Once again...fine you do not need a gun. But do not infringe on my right to have one. As a law-abiding citizen I do not have to explain why I need a gun therefore I make no excuses to why I need one. I do not own a gun....but I would like the option to if I ever felt like I wanted one.

By your reasoning I could say hypothetically that the country should ban automobiles. You should walk your ass everywhere or take mass transit...period. Yes it would be tougher for some people to do this....well tough. People would exercise more, we'd be polluting the air less, and we wouldnt have to worry about maintaining roads and bridges as much. (By the way I don't advocate this...I drive a V8 mustang and let it drink as much gas as it wants

You're right when you say a law breaker with a gun is going to break the law regardless of whether or not the victim has a gun or not. But why not let the victim have a better chance of survival with a gun?
So owning a gun is a right but having healthcare isn't. Are you people thinking straight?
Guns are weapons, not ways of getting around and making life easier.
People will always be able to get guns but every country that has strict gun rules do not have these daily stories of gun deaths and school massacres as America does. Virtually NO ONE in the UK is frightened of having their homes broken into by gun totting thugs.
You cannot tell if the person buying the gun in America is going to be a law abiding citizen with that gun. Stop this B/S about letting law abiding citizens have guns and change your cry to let law breakers and nut jobs have guns..because that is what you do every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies