Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:17 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,246,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'd prefer to see more frequent amendments to the Constitution...rather than there being so much discretion.
Yes, let's take our guiding document out every year and just amend it every time we want to adapt to the times... that sounds swell... let's go through that process EVERY year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 01:18 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times
Quote:
Get the insults going....again....

You know as well as I do that FAR, FAR more than 20-30 people feel this way.
Prove me wrong. Form a party. Win the White House. Then you can actually change something. Like the Democrats are doing right now.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Food and interstate commerce didn't exist in the 18th and 19th century? There was no scarlet fever, smallpox, etc back then?
In the 1787 most food was supplied by susbsitence farming, but nonetheless, the nacscent Department of Agriculture can trace its origins as early as 1836:
Henry Leavitt Ellsworth, a Yale-educated attorney interested in improving agriculture, became Commissioner of Patents, a position within the Department of State. He soon began collecting and distributing new varieties of seeds and plants through members of the Congress and agricultural societies. In 1839 Congress established the Agricultural Division within the Patent Office and allotted $1,000 for "the collection of agricultural statistics and other agricultural purposes."
United States Department of Agriculture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for communicable diseases... oh, puleeze! The understanding of communicable diseases in the 18th and mid-19th Century was barely better than their understanding of space travel.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:23 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,454,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Prove me wrong. Form a party. Win the White House. Then you can actually change something. Like the Democrats are doing right now.
You just love that god of yours don't you?

I got news for you...he's a man, not a god. And he's going to dig the country deeper and deeper into debt. Even if he is able to turn things around, the economy will fail again in 4-5 years and it will fail worse than it has/is this time.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:25 PM

654 posts, read 466,016 times
The necessary and proper clause is contentious. History favors the the elastic interpretation stemming back to McCulloch v Maryland. According to Justice Marshall, "the Necessary and Proper Clause does not require that all federal laws be necessary and proper. Federal laws that are enacted directly pursuant to one of the express, enumerated powers need not comply with the Necessary and Proper Clause. As Marshall put it, this Clause "purport[s] to enlarge, not to diminish the powers vested in the government. It purports to be an additional power, not a restriction on those already granted."

McCulloch v. Maryland: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

This ruling is contentious since it does go against the heart of limited federal government, strict interpretation of the Constitution, and the definition of enumerated powers, which many Founding Fathers endorsed.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:26 PM

I long for the day of true conservative leaders...not the watered-down Bush crap....but true conservatives

Old 04-21-2009, 02:50 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times
Quote:
You just love that god of yours don't you?

I got news for you...he's a man, not a god. And he's going to dig the country deeper and deeper into debt. Even if he is able to turn things around, the economy will fail again in 4-5 years and it will fail worse than it has/is this time.
whine whine whine 365-173

Old 04-21-2009, 02:55 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,251 times
huge taxing, huge spending, huge government, sending troops abroad.........doesn't sound like change to me. sounds like bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post

Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
huge taxing, huge spending, huge government, sending troops abroad.........doesn't sound like change to me. sounds like bush.
Hmmm....sounds like Bush to me too!

And before rlchurch goes off and says that he's a republican....guess what? I haven't been pro-Bush for several years.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:00 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,780,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmoove View Post
Yes, let's take our guiding document out every year and just amend it every time we want to adapt to the times... that sounds swell... let's go through that process EVERY year.
No need. The Const is well suited to virtually every situation we have found ourselves in to date, and all we have to do is follow it.

The problem most big-government leftists have with the Constitution, isn't that it forbids solutions to whatever problem we have at the time. Their problem is that it forbids big-government solutions to the problems. It is a fundamentally conservative document which promotes responsibility at the lowest (that is, closest to the people) levels, letting people or groups take care of most of their own problems instead of trying to have government take care of everything.

Our leftists (in both parties) have MAJOR problems with that. But this doesn't mean there are problems with it. It merely means that big-government leftists have problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies