Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 07:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,897,847 times

Advertisements

60 seats down and 40 to go. Time to get to work on the rest. Go Dems!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 09:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,138,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

This will be the end of Specter, republicans wont vote for him, and democrats want a real democrat.
Maybe, but Specter knows a lot more about PA politics than we do and he strikes me as a pretty smart cookie. He's been clear that his goal is to get re-elected. Therefore, I don't think he would have made this move unless he had good reason to believe it would, indeed, help him get re-elected.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:57 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,005,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yep. Hell, I voted for NIXON 72, FORD 76, REAGAN 80, REAGAN 84, BUSH 88, and BUSH 92 but since Newt rode into DC and Jerry Falwell politicized religion I've had to vote for the most reaonsable, moderate persons I could find, and that has NOT been any GOP candidate.

The GOP of Ike and Goldwater lies dead and buried under a stack of last week's discarded church bulletins, testimony to the power of religious-based hate spewed by Dobson, Robertson, Falwell(d), Hagee, Parsley, FOTF, AFA, ADF, et al, to destroy all it touches.

There simply is no way that any GOP fan on this board or anywhere can downplay the significance of Specter's defection from the party. The 2006 election was a serious tremor. McCain's loss was a full blown earthquake. Specter's desertion is a major after-shock, of which I hope to see more. The ripple effect will change things at the local level for sometime.
There were rumblings earlier too, before the full-blown earthquake. The loss of Senators Santorum & Allen, and the fall from grace of Delay. The electorate was already speaking.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:00 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,750,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Another Communist joins Obama's Marxist party. Big deal.
I'm glad you're taking it lightly.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:38 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,400,384 times
Being originally from PA I like Spector no matter what party he belongs to. I get where he's coming from because I am a registered Republican who is pro-gun & pro-choice. MikefrombackEast said it well when he described the Jerry Falwell's have hijacked the Republican party, because they have. One of the reasons I want to re-register as an Independent. A majority of the people don't want religion rammed down their throats. I do know some far-right Bible-beaters that were more worried about abortion this last election than the economy, but I think people like that don't represent most. Numbers don't lie. Democrats have been gaining seats since '06. Also, our economy plummetted during Bush's second term. Bush's deregulation also ushered in corporate greed which helped get us in this mess. There's a reason Democrats are getting elected. Those of you on the far right can come up with whatever conspiracy theory you want, but at the end of the day Republican party is in trouble because they are out of touch with the mainstream, hard-working, middle-class Americans. And please don't tell me how you think Sarah Palin should run for President. She's not Presidential material, if anything she hurt McCain, not helped him. Arlen Spector knows all of this which is why he switched parties. Another thing I like about Spector, he tells it like it is and isn't worried about party lines.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:42 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,138,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Being originally from PA I like Spector no matter what party he belongs to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Another thing I like about Spector, he tells it like it is and isn't worried about party lines.
I suspect a lot of voters in PA feel like you do.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,007,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
Fair enough, and an interesting example. From what I understand, he served three years then in 1995 became republican, in part due to disagreement with Clinton's fiscal policies and what he saw as a "War on the West" from environmentalists. So yes, that probably was seen as a slap in the face. It may not have had quite the same historic impact as Specter's switch but Campbell did have some importance, he chaired the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs. So I'm sure it stung a little.
It was very important to us in Colorado. Campbell is a Native American, one of only a few to have served in Congress.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,331,120 times
The Rs got Joe Lieberschnitzel; the Ds got Specter.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:06 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Soo...now that democrats have 2 1/2 branches of govt (out of 3) can they now abolish the constitution?
Considering that Dubya arguably had all 3 branches in his pocket (and look where that got us), actually you may have a point there!

But what's especially important is illustrated by this comment from GOP strategist Frank Luntz: "The GOP desperately needed the next 18 months to put forward a vision that wasn't based on the Bush presidency. And they need the Senate as their staging ground.

With 41 votes, they had the ability to hold up some legislation and be relevant, to put forward an alternative point of view and force the media to pay attention. At 40 votes, they've lost that platform. They cease to be relevant."

More tea(parties) anyone...?

Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,628,639 times
This is clearly geographical. The entire East Coast from North Carolina to Maine voted for Obama & all the senators [except Maine's moderate Repblicans] are Democratic in the Northeast. That defines a huge section of the U.S. population as anti-Republican.

The fact that Specter fled the GOP at the very time Democrats needed 60 senators has to be an incredible slap to the Republicans. This is yet another nail in the coffin. Soon the GOP will be totally buried "hey, things happen"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies